Shoot Out! is a brand new action puzzler that draws plenty of inspiration from VR smash hit Superhot. The aesthetics are extremely similar, with its focus on white backgrounds and coloured characters, and the gameplay isn’t a million miles away either.
Ultimately, your goal in both games is to kill all of the bad guys. While Superhot allows you to pause time by standing still, you can’t move in Shoot Out!, so time is eternally paused. You have to use your wits to shoot bad guys without fear of retaliation.
In this guide, we’re going to help you become a master marksman. You won’t end up as Agent 47, but you’ll be pretty darn close.
Shoot Out! Beginner’s Guide – How it Works:
Shoot Out! is a puzzler that challenges you to find a way to murder all of the enemies on the screen without getting hit yourself. You can hold your thumb on the screen and swipe it left and right to change the position of your character. Your gun – if you’re holding one – has a laser sight, which points in the direction your gun is facing.
Tap on the screen and you can fire your gun, hitting anything that’s in the path of your laser. Using these simple mechanics, you’ve got to destroy all enemies in your path. Enemies also move along with you, and have a laser sight of their own. You have to find a way to hit them without their gun hitting you too.
In standard levels, this should be pretty straight forward: find an angle that you can shoot them from that doesn’t involve you getting shot too. However, the further you get in the game, the more mechanics you’ll face. There are exploding barrels, walls you can ricochet off, and wooden logs that can roll into enemies.
These are often useful, providing you with a bunch of creative ways to destroy your enemies. They can be a hindrance too though, as you suddenly have a bunch of different threats to keep an eye on, versus just your enemies. Remain vigilant at all times.
Shoot Out! Tips and Tricks:
Now that you understand the basics, we’ll round up a bunch of tips and tricks to help you progress through the game’s most challenging stages:
- Spend some time getting a feel for the level: Before you even think about firing your gun, spend a few seconds just glancing around at the level. How many enemies are there? How many allies do you have? Are there any explosives or other traps you can use to destroy your foes? That few seconds can save you a lot of pain when you fail a level.
- It doesn’t have to be pretty: While it’s nice to pull off an epic shootout, you don’t actually have to. During difficult levels with a lot going on, just focus on taking down enemies in a safe manner rather than pulling off crazy shots.
- You have unlimited bullets: There’s no need to worry about bullets – this isn’t the real world. Your allies and enemies have unlimited bullets so feel free to make mistakes. Well, unless the mistake is blowing yourself up. There’s no coming back from that.
- It doesn’t have to be a headshot: As long as your bullet hits the enemy, it doesn’t really matter where. Headshots are satisfying, but there’s really no need to be that accurate every single time.
- Plan ahead: While many levels allow for a creative solution, later levels often require a very specific solution. We’ve had situations where we’ve killed an enemy and literally couldn’t proceed without murdering our own character accidentally. Take a look at all of the possible outcomes and you should be fine.