Shadow of Death is a brand new side scrolling hack and slasher in which you’ll pick from one of four different characters and butcher your way through a cel-shaded, gothic fantasy world.
In this guide, we’re going to provide a bunch of tips and tricks that will help you get into the game as quickly as possible. We’ll detail how combat works, how best to progress your character, and a bunch of other things as well.
Shadow of Death Tips and Tricks:
- Aim for three star victories: Each time you complete a mission, you’ll get a star rating based on how many objectives you’ve completed. Get three stars and you’ll earn bonus rewards that will help you progress faster throughout the game. The only downside to this is that you can’t actually see the objectives you have to complete until you’ve finished the level. Generally though, they involve killing all enemies and doing it quickly without getting hit.
- Spend your souls on equipment upgrades: Equipment upgrades are actually really cheap in Shadow of Death, so there’s no real reason not to upgrade everything to +20. You earn loads of souls during levels anyway, so you can just go and play another if you find yourself running short. Equipment upgrades make a huge difference to your stats so you’ll complete levels at a breakneck pace.
- Upgrade your masteries after each level: You won’t actually be able to upgrade masteries after each level, but you should get in the habit of trying. Check to see if you’ve found any new cards that you can spend on passive upgrades to boost your character’s power.
- Claim achievements and login rewards: This isn’t really mentioned but you get regular rewards just for logging in and performing specific actions to unlock achievements. There’s a handy button on the home screen that lets you see a list of these so you can hunt them down, and you can collect any rewards you’ve earned so far in the same place.
- Watch videos to get even more rewards: Every time you complete a level you can watch a brief ad to double the experience and souls you earn. Not only that, but you can double your daily login rewards too! For the sake of thirty seconds, we’d say it’s well worth watching ads whenever you can – particularly if you plan to play exclusively for free.
- Dash through attacks to avoid damage: Your dash doesn’t just help you move around quickly – you can use it to gain a period of invulnerability so you can avoid enemy attacks. This is particularly useful to get out of a mob of melee units and to close the gap between yourself and ranged units.
- Take out ranged attackers first: Ranged attackers will often attack you outside of your field of vision, making it difficult to predict their attacks. We recommend tracking these guys down as quickly as possible and taking them down to avoid taking damage.
- Melee attacks knock back enemies: Your melee attacks knock back most normal enemies, so we recommend just going full out offensive. Don’t use this strategy against bosses though, as you can still get hit. Dodge through their attacks instead.
- Use your skills against bosses: You’ll deal so much damage that there’s little point in using your skills against regular enemies. Instead, save them for boss fights so you can make short work of them.