Swinging on a rope looks like fun, but it’s more trouble than its worth really. Possibly falling to your death and rope burn are just a couple of downsides to this hobby in real life. Fortunately we have games, and in Swing Star you can jump from virtual rope to virtual rope to your heart’s content.
It’s a simple game – all you have to do is swing all the way to the right of the screen – but it’s one that can become quite tricky in the later stages. Don’t fret though, as we’ve put together some tips below to make sure you’re king of the swingers (the jungle VIP).
- Practice makes perfect Take some time in the early stages to understand the physics of Swing Star and how the swinging mechanics work – don’t worry about if you die a few times, as getting a feel for the controls will pay off in the later parts of the game.
- No restarts If you fail a stage – done by falling to the bottom of the screen – it’s back to the beginning of a level. Unlike in many games of this type you have no option to resume from where you died either, so bear this in mind when taking on levels.
- Bye bye ads Turn off your phone’s internet if you want to get rid of the ads. The game will still work but those pesky video ads will no longer be around to distract you.
- Party pooper The party at the end of each stage is slightly confusing at first, but don’t be fooled – you just need to cross the line to finish a level, you don’t have to join any of the characters on their platforms.
- To the left to the left The further you are to the left of a peg when you attach to it the faster your swing will be. Use this to your advantage – as a fast swing can help you bypass several pegs. Alternatively attach yourself more centrally if you want to work your way slowly across a set of pegs.
- Momentum is everything Often a slower approach will simply not work. Making sure you have momentum is essential in many of the stages, as flopping over the line isn’t possible unless you have any speed built up when swinging from peg to peg.
- Up and down Some stages later on won’t let you swing below some areas, so simply go above them instead. Sorted.
- Mellow Yellow When a peg turns yellow it’s the one you’ll swing from if you tap the screen – sometimes if you have built up a lot of speed the peg you’ll grab will change quickly, so keep an eye on their colour.
- Bounce back In the levels involving the bouncy platforms make sure you use them to jump as far as possible without having to attach yourself to a peg.
- Bouncy bouncy Sometimes the bouncy platforms can even catapult you through an entire level without you having to do anything – and occasionally you just have to use one or two pegs. Make sure you experiment and make it as easy as you can for yourself to clear the stages.
- Barrier bother It’s worth noting that you can sometimes bounce off barriers and end up skipping parts of a stage altogether.
- Experiment Remember that failing a stage is hardly a huge problem – you have infinite continues. So if you think you can exploit a certain element of a stage – like the bouncy platforms, mentioned above – do it!