Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Champions may look at first glance like yet another Hearthstone rip off. It’s actually not that at all. Not really.
Instead it offers up a card battling experience that’s actually quite unique – but it’s got certain intricacies that take a while to master. That’s where we can help though. Here are some general tips to make sure you can get the most out the game.
- Newcomers fear not We understand, Warhammer is a franchise that has certain stigmas attached to it. But Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Champions is a game that is actually fairly easy to get into if you give it a chance. Just follow the tutorials and allow the game to work its magic. Go in wanting to hate it and you won’t be disappointed though.
- Create a deck Obviously being a card battler you’ll need to create a fearsome deck. To do this – and to find cards you physically scan in using the game’s AR function – just tap on the button located in the bottom left corner of the main menu and select “decks.” From here you can drag and drop new cards in and out of your deck. Easy.
- Balance attack and defence The game’s draw mechanic means the action slots are linked directly to what potential cards come in at the end of your turn. Use all your actions you receive no new cards – so make sure you keep the balance between attack and defence when selecting which moves to make.
- Twist like we did last Summer Remember that after every go the values on the corner of your card twist around. Bear this in mind when selecting which cards to use – and which ones to have on your deck in the first place.
- It doesn’t mana Remember there’s no actual cost to cast spells, place units, or make actions. You can only play two cards in your turn. With that in mind don’t hold back on using your most powerful moves on your turn.
- Have some cards If you really want to take the game seriously then you’ll have to, well, act like a true blue Warhammer nut. So that includes buying some actual cards. So get stuck into those booster packs and boost your chances in the game. Or, you know, don’t.
- Check out the events Warhammer is a social game – it is naturally competitive, but it also has a great community of players. So if you’re genuinely interested in getting good at Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Champions we strongly recommend going along to the events being run for the title. You can find a full calendar here, and that way to can chat to top level players and the game’s developers – and learn strategies and tips you probably couldn’t even begun to think of.
- Be beta prepared Fear not if you’ve been playing the beta version of the game by the way. Just update your version and you won’t lose any of your hard earned progress.