Amazing Katamari Damacy is one of those games that you just want to play. It’s a super fun endless runner that mixes the delicious chaos of the console originals with a more measured mobile play-style. And it’s really good.
If you’re just starting out in the world of The King of All Cosmos though, you might be a little overwhelmed by the game to begin with. Don’t fret though, we’re here to help you out with our Amazing Katamari Damacy hints, tips and tricks.
There’s a lot to the game, even though it’s so simple to play, so hopefully these top tips will go some way to making the King of All Cosmos proud of you. Or, at the very least, a little bit less ashamed than he normally would be.
- Know your glows – You’ll see a lot of glowing objects when you’re rolling around the game, so it’s important to know what each of them means. If an object has a gold glow, there’s a coin in it. If it’s got a rainbow glow, it’s going to power up your rockets. If it’s flashing white, it means you’re now able to pick it up.
- What about the rockets? – These are essentially the loot boxes of the game. When you’ve powered up a rocket, make sure you launch it. Some of them take a while to take flight, so it’s a good idea to make sure you’ve got one preparing to launch when you put the game down.
- Don’t hit the spikes – Hitting the spinning spikes will instantly end your run. You can pay some gems or watch a video to continue, but the smartest course of action is just not to hit them in the first place.
- Watch out for the king – If you barge into too many objects you can’t pick up, the king is going to get upset. You’ll see his shadow looming over you. When this happens if you hit one more thing it’s game over.
More advanced Amazing Katamari Damacy hints
- Pick up the walls – Sometimes if you’re ball gets big enough you’re going to be able to pick up the walls that line the route. They’ll flash when you can do this. Make sure you don’t hit anything beyond the walls though, because it’ll be too big and you’ll take some damage.
- Know your cousins – Your cousins are the upgradeable buffs and boosts you can pick up as you roll. You can spend the coins you earn on making them more powerful from the main menu. Make sure you do, because it’s key to getting more points.
- Finish the challenges – You’ll get daily challenges, and there are pretty big rewards for completing them. Every time you load up the game, it’ll tell you what it needs to do. It’s worth focusing on these for the first part of your playthrough in order to reap the benefits.
How to get the best scores
- Check your score multipliers – One of your cousins will increase your score multiplier. It’s a good idea to upgrade this one ahead of the others if you’re interested in getting the biggest score early on in the game.
- Launch your rockets – Launching your rockets gets you fragments. These fragments power-up the items you collect, including upping their score. So the more rockets you launch, the more points you’re going to be getting each run.
- Extend your play – If you get a chance to watch a video to extend your run, it’s a good idea to take it to keep playing. On the other hand, if you’re asked to spend gems, it’s best to save them. You can use them to launch your rockets, and that’s more important in the long run.