So you’ve decided that you want to take your Hot Wheels: Race Off experience to the next level. It’s understandable – despite a few problems with the game it can be an awful lot of fun. Especially if you know what you’re doing. And making sure people know what they’re doing is what we’re here for.
In this article we’re going to walk you through the basics of the game, and then show you some Hot Wheels Race Off tips and tricks that are going to ensure you’re always posting the best times, pulling off the biggest airs and generally having the hottest wheels in the Hot Wheels world. We’ll also explain some of the trickier concepts in the game, and generally make sure that when the game says something you know exactly what it talks about. Basically we’ve got your back, and we’ll always have your back. Because you’re special and we want your Hot Wheels to be the winningest Hot Wheels in the whole of the world.
- Softly, softly – If you’ve ever played a Trials game then this concept is going to come pretty naturally to you. If not, you need to understand that smashing down the accelerator and hoping for the best isn’t the best way to do things.
- Subtlety – Even on tracks that look simple, you need to consider subtlety. A huge ascent might look like the sort of place to drive as quickly as you can, but go too fast and you’re going to start tilting back, losing grip and leaving you rolling back down to the bottom of the hill.
- Gentle fingers – When you’re in the air, you need to continue the subtle touches. Tap too hard to correct your tilt and you’ll start a flip. And that might look cool, but there’s a good chance that if you’re flipping too much you’re going to land upside down.
- Don’t land upside down – This is the only way you can blow up your car. Even if you right your bounce and end up on your wheels, you’re going to explode. Make sure you stay the right way up otherwise your challenge isn’t going to last very long.
- It’s not game over – When you run out of fuel, the game isn’t actually over. If you’re rolling towards a petrol can then see if you grab it. If you do, then you’ll get powered up again and be able to keep going. Definitely worth knowing.
- Don’t chase the coins – It’s tempting to try and grab all the coins on every run, but there’s really no need. You’re going to get enough as you play, so focus on smashing through the levels in the most effective way possible.
- Watch your opponent – It’s a good idea to keep an eye on what your opponent is doing. Especially when the run you’re playing against is one that finishes the whole track. Also check out where people die, because those are usually the tricky sections.
Hints and Tips
- Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade – Unfortunately, this is very much a game where your skills aren’t going to get you through. You’ll need to make sure you’re upgrading constantly. But there’s a secret to that too.
- Don’t focus – You need to make sure your vehicles are being upgraded evenly. Don’t just focus on speed, because balance is just as important. Upgrade bit by bit and you’ll find things get much easier.
- Go back – When you’ve unlocked some new tracks and your car is more powerful, then it’s worth heading back to the older tracks to get the best times and the rewards that come with them.