Is it possible to not have a gaming backlog? We’ve tried countless times, but it seems like a bunch of great new titles get released whenever we’re about to finish the last game in our stack. In this particular instance, the fault lies with Indie Royale. They’ve just unveiled the Winter Bundle, and made our backlog even more intimidating.
I suppose there are worse problems to have. I mean, having too many games to play beats the heck out of not having enough. And with the holidays coming up, we’ll surely have a little extra time to catch up on everything. Unless, of course, we fall into a deep sleep after eating too much ham and potatoes on Christmas day.
But you don’t want to hear about such things. You came here to learn about what games are available in Indie Royale’s Winter Bundle:
- Greed Corp – As the name kind of hints at, Greed Corp wants to teach its players a lesson. It’s a turn-based strategy game about the damaging effects of the Industrial Revolution—particularly the toll it took on the environment.
- Hamlet or the Last Game without MMORPG Features, Shaders and Product Placement – That’s the longest name for a game ever, right? Hamlet is an adventure game that adapts Shakespeare’s classic play into something a little more… twisted. There are boss battles, puzzles with logical answers, and tons of product placement. Okay, so we’re lying about that last one.
- BIT.TRIP RUNNER – Think you’re good at runner games? You won’t after playing BIT.TRIP RUNNER. It’s a gorgeous retro-inspired platformer that takes the best parts of classic gaming—pixelated graphics, difficulty—and wraps them up in a decidedly modern package.
- Conquest of Elysium 3 – If you’ve been a little underwhelmed with recent strategy games, Conquest of Elysium 3 ought to renew your interest in the genre. It’s styled in the tradition of old school strategy titles, and boasts an absurd amount of features and character abilities.
- Leave Home – Continuing in the vein of retro, Leave Home is a space shooter with an emphasis on racking up the highest score possible. As you destroy enemies and collect blue chips, your ship’s “Anger” level will gradually increase. The higher it goes, the better your score will be and, less helpfully, the harder the game gets.
- They Breathe – In what is one of the strangest horror games released this year, They Breathe puts players in charge of a frog trying to stay alive in an unforgiving ecosystem. Further proof that it isn’t easy being green.
The minimum asking price for the bundle is $5.17 as of this writing, though that will surely fluctuate until the offer ends in six days. And if you’re feeling a little more generous, a contribution of $8 will earn you chiptune album “BLUESCREEN” by artist “PROTODOME.” You can give it a listen here—it’s some pretty catchy stuff!
Additionally, the highest donator in the end will receive a Conquest of Elysium 3 laptop skin, mouse pad, and iron-on patch.