Game Introduction – My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Restore balance and harmony to Ponyville! My Little Pony – Friendship is Magic by Gameloft takes you on a magical adventure as you help to defeat the evil “Nightmare moon” while rebuilding and repopulating Ponyville. Gamezebo’s quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- My Little Pony can be found by clicking on the “Play Now!” button at the top of this page.
- The game begins with the storyline being read to you and in text form along the bottom of the screen. Be sure your volume is down when you start the game. Tap on each screen to proceed to the next page of dialogue. The text is very tiny and you may need to zoom in to read it.
- You will be asked if you would like push notifications sent to your device when you load the game for the first time. You can change your notifications settings at any time in the settings menu.
- The game can be connected to your Facebook account or Gameloft account via the social menu. Once you sign in you will be able to find friends that are also playing the game and you can connect to random players.
- There is a brief tutorial showing you how to work through various game elements. This guide will get you started and give you a more detailed look at how to play the game along with player tips for better scores.
- Tap on the icon at the top right of the game screen and this will cause the game menu to lower. Scroll down using your finger until you see the gear icon. Tap on this go get to your settings menu shown above. Here you can adjust volume, turn notifications on or off and get help with game basics.
- XP – (Blue Stars) – or “Experience points” are earned when you complete quests, place buildings, and purchase decorative items for your town. Blue star XP help you to level up as the meter along the top left of the screen fills up. Each time you level up you are given a large coin and sometimes a gem bonus and you unlock more items in the game shop.
- Game Currency – Bits and pink gems – (See below for more information) your currency indicators are along the top center of the game screen. Tap on the “+” sign along either one to purchase more.
- Quest Menu (Book icon top left corner) Tap on the book and you will see one to three icons drop down. Tap on an icon to see a list of quests. (See more details below.)
- Main Menu – Tap on the icon at the upper right corner of the game screen to release the main menu. Once it drops you can use your finger to scroll through it even more. Here you can access the game shop, social menu, settings, trophies and more.
- Gold coins or “Bits”- This is the basic game currency collected from shops, completing mini games, tapping on trees and stones, leveling up and completing quests. You will start the game with four thousand bits or coins.
- Pink Gems – Gems are the premium currency of the game. You can use this currency to purchase special objects that will give you advantages during quests and building construction such as instant completion or skipping tasks as well as access to special mini games that usually lock you out for twenty four hours. You may also purchase premium shops and ponies.
- You will start out with ten gems and you may win more when you level up in the game.
- Gems must be purchased with real currency. You can access the currency menu in the shop or when you try to purchase something the game will prompt the menu. Gold coins and/or gems can be purchased in bundles. The more you purchase the less you will pay overall.
- Purchases are considered “In app” purchases and will be charged to your mobile device.
- Prices of coin or star bundles range from $1.99 to $99.99 USD. The larger the bundle you purchase the better overall rate you will receive.
- The quest menu can be accessed by tapping on the book in the upper left corner. When the icons drop down each one represents a new set of quests. Tap on the icon and a menu will appear.
- If you wish to complete a quest tap on “Go” and it will take you to the shop or whatever menu is needed to complete the quest.
- Completion of a quest results in XP and a coin reward.
- Be sure to follow the quests as they will help the game storyline move along and it will make more sense as you are learning it.
Adding Ponies and Buildings
- Ponies are critical as you need them to build houses earn coins and work in the various shops in Ponyville.
- How to add a pony – The game will give you your first pony during the tutorial. Each time you purchase a new pony you will place its home which is a special building in Ponyville.
- When you purchase a pony in the game shop tap on it and you will be taken back to the game screen. You will see building associated with the pony you have purchased. Move it around until the base shows as green then tap on the green checkmark to lock in the purchase. You will see a construction site and a clock. The early ponies only take a minute or less for construction but as you level up times will take much longer. If you want you may use premium currency to purchase instant completion.
- Once the building is finished you will see your pony delivered to its house by hot air balloon.
- Playing with your ponies – (See “Mini games” below also) Once the house is completed you will eventually see an icon over it. Tap on this icon and you can play a mini game associated with your pony. To play with your ponies you will have to complete the apple game which is shown as a basket of apples over the house. Tap on this to access it. Once you play the game you will have to wait awhile before you can play it again. You can play a game for each building you have in place.
- You can wager to win large coins payout and you will over time earn a star for your pony to increase its star rating. As you level up only ponies with high star rating or specific star ratings can work jobs in certain shops. You will need to keep playing with all the ponies in the mini games to upgrade their star status and make them eligible to work in higher level shops.
- Edit mode – To move items tap on “Edit” in the main menu then you are free to move items around, move them to inventory or sell them at a reduced rate by tapping on them.
- Shops are a critical money maker for your village. You will need to start placing shops right away following the quests.
- Each building has a special function and within it several options to choose from.
- Once you place a shop you will need to hire ponies to work in it. You can also switch the ponies around and change their jobs if needed.
- The more a pony works the more stars it will earn and some jobs require a certain number of stars in a pony before it can work there.
- Tap on a shop and the menu will appear. Tap on the “+” sign in green to add a pony to work. Once you have a worker tap on the job and the pony will work until it is time to collect. Each time you hire a pony another green plus sign will appear letting you hire another pony for another job.
Starting a job
- Once job is available per pony you have assigned to it but only one job at a time can be performed for profit.
- Tap on the job in the menu to highlight it then tap on “Start” You will see how many minutes until the job is completed in the menu as well as how much you will earn.
Collecting from Shops
- Once the job is completed in a shop (Only one at a time can be performed) an icon will appear over that shop. Tap on this icon as soon as it appears and check into the game frequently to collect rewards as much as possible. You will earn coins, XP, and harmony shards.
- Star rating – You will see in higher end shops you will need ponies with higher star ratings to work jobs within the shops. You must play mini games with your pony to increase their star rating and upgrade them for the higher paying jobs.
- Shops on your land that have no workers will not earn any funds and will be seen with smoke “Z’s” coming from them.
Harmony or Element Shards/Harmony Stone
- Your goal is to restore harmony and defeat “Nightmare Moon” and to do this you will need to collect “Harmony Shards” also known as “Element shards”
- There are six harmony shards and they look like gems of various shapes:
- Blue balloon
- Purple diamond
- Red lightning bolt
- Light pink butterfly
- Orange apple
- Dark pink Star
- Harmony shards are very hard to get and you will find them in various locations. The more land you unlock through expansion the more shards you will find. You will also want to tap trees and stones on your highlighted land to look for them.
- Once you find shards they are in your inventory which can be accessed by tapping on the main menu and then on the “Elements” button.
- Harmony Stone – Harmony stones are found in various locations on the outskirts of Ponyville and can be used to help you defeat “Nightmare” moon. If you find one be sure to repair it and activate it by collecting all the harmony shards.
- You may also purchase shards with premium currency or you can play games to win it once every twenty four hours for free or use premium currency to play it before the time limit.
Visiting Friends/Social Currency/Heart Gems/Gifts
- The heart gem icon you see is an indicator of the social currency you have on hand. You earn one social currency heart each time you help out a neighbor by visiting their village and tapping on the chest at the bottom center of the screen.
- You can use these hearts to purchase special items in the game shop and to invite special ponies to your village.
- You may invite people via email, Gameloft, or by signing in with your Facebook account or you may invite a random player.
- Tap on the main menu then on the “Social” icon. Once in this menu tap on “Friends” and you will see random players also playing the game. You can visit them and invite them to become neighbors or you can log into your Facebook or Gameloft account and anyone also playing the game will appear.
Helping your Neighbor
- Once you are in a neighbor’s village you will see a chest icon at the bottom center of the screen as shown above. Tap on it and it will be placed in your neighbor’s village.
- When your neighbor logs into the game they will see the chest and tap on it to collect the gift you have sent.
- Receiving gifts – When a neighbor helps you they will leave a chest in your village. Tap on it to collect and send a gift to that neighbor. You will send each other one heart gem once every twenty four hours per neighbor.
Expand your land
- To expand your village tap on anywhere you see darkness over the land. A menu will appear showing you the cost in coins and in gems. Tap on the one you wish to use and the land will immediately brighten up.
- Any area that is light you may now build on and any element on that land can be moved if you tap on it and pay the amount needed to clear it.
- The more you expand the more likely you are to uncover different harmony shards.
Playing with your Ponies
- It is very important that you play with each pony you place in your village. You will know when a pony wants to play as you will see an icon over their house. Tap on it and you will see an instruction screen and then a wager screen asking you to risk a certain amount and if you are successful you will earn one two or three times that amount based on your choice.
- Here is a summary of a few of the mini games you will see.
Ball toss game
- Tap on “Start” at the top of the screen to begin.
- Tap on the amount you wish to wager.
- Take the ball and lift it with your finger aiming it toward the pony on the left. He will bounce the ball back to you. Use your finger to swipe it back to him without letting it hit the ground. Do this as many times as you can before the timer at the top left runs out.
- It takes a while to get the hang of this mini game but once you do you should improve fast.
- Tip – Wait until the white circle around the ball completely disappears before you swipe it and be prepared to move fast.
- Each time you play with your pony you will earn coins, XP, and will eventually earn stars which will upgrade your pony making him eligible to work in higher end shops that payout a larger amount of money.
- In this game you will find your pony under a few apple trees.
- Wager the amount you would like in the wager screen.
- Use your finger tip to guide your pony under the apples that fall.
- You want to catch the good apples and avoid the rotten ones.
- This game takes a while to get the hang of and you will need to practice.
- Collect as many apples as you can until the timer runs out.
- Each time you play you will earn a little more toward a star.
- Each star you complete upgrades your pony and makes him eligible to work in higher end shops with higher payouts.
- Certain ponies such as “Twilight Sparkle” will ask you to play the flying game which is shown with the racer flag icon above his house.
- How to play – Touch and hold anywhere on the screen to have your pony fly upwards and release the screen to have him fly down.
- You will need to fly through the white clouds and coins to collect them while avoiding the dark clouds.
- You have one minute to collect as many coins as possible.
- You will earn stars when you successfully complete this mini game.
Balloon Pop game
- In order to get harmony shards you can tap on the balloon shop and either pay premium currency or play free once every twenty four hours.
- How to play – Tap on the “Free” building if it is available. If not you will see a countdown clock on the sign. You may tap on the other two tents if you wish to purchase a turn with premium currency.
- Once inside the tent there will be several balloons. Tap on however many it tells you to and then you will be taken to a screen to show all you have won.
- You can pay ten more gems for an additional balloon pop if you wish but this can only be done once.
- Decorations can be purchased in the shop using coins or social currency. Decorations will earn you XP when placed in your village.
- Decorations are required for the completion of many quests.
- Decorations do not earn coins.
- These are adorable but annoying little flying creatures that try to get in your way at times when you try to build on your land.
- If you find these note the color as you will have to use element or harmony shards from your inventory to get rid of them.
- Tap them to make them disappear and shards will be taken from your inventory of the same color.
Game Tips/Additional Information
- There is a Ponyville daily bonus which you can earn by logging in each day. Each consecutive day you log in you will earn bits, XP stars and gems. Each day your reward will be greater up until day five then it will start over again. If you miss a day the sequence immediately starts over at the lowest reward of day one.
- Be sure to log in frequently throughout the day and collect from your shops as you stop earning until you collect.
- Play with your ponies frequently to earn stars and upgrade them. This will allow them to work in shops with higher payouts as you level up.
- Purchasing decorations is a great way to level up fast as you earn XP when you place them.
- Each time you level up you will earn bits, gems, and/or harmony shards depending on your level.
- Wager low in the mini games when you start out as they all take a little practice to become proficient.
You have completed the basic quick start guide for My Little Pony by Gameloft. Be sure to check back often for game updates, staff and user reviews, user tips, forum comments and much more here at Gamezebo.