Game Introduction – Spy vs Spy
Spy vs Spy is a strategy/action game by Robots and Pencils Inc. where players compete to track down the four items needed to escape the Embassy they’re in. You’ll engage in melee combat, scour sundry desks and containers, and rig some pretty awesome booby traps in your quest for victory. Gamezebo’s quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- To download the game, click the “Play Now” button at the top of this page.
- Upon firing it up, you’ll immediately be taken to a tutorial. You can access it through the menu whenever you want, but I’d suggest paying as close attention as possible now. Or you can just skip it and read my explanation!
Understanding the Menu
- The menu of Spy vs Spy isn’t exactly dense, but there are a lot of different modes and options available on it.
- Campaign – This is the main section of the game. It features several levels of varying difficulty for the player to make their way through. There are also three stars hidden in each level.
- Retro – Within the main campaign mode is the option to play the game’s Retro mode. It’s a note-perfect port of the original Commodore 64 and Apple II version, though it should be noted that it doesn’t contain hidden stars.
- Tutorial – If you want to revisit the game’s tutorial mode, choose the Tutorial option on the main menu.
- Custom Match – The Custom Match section is another single-player portion of the game. In it, you can choose the Embassy you play in, the intelligence of the enemy, your character, and whether or not the exit door is hidden or shown.
- Multiplayer – The game can be played local or online, both of which can be chosen in the Multiplayer portion of the main menu. When you choose local, it will immediately begin searching for nearby iOS devices.
- Help – In the Help menu (the gear on the bottom left of the main menu), you can view credits, read a thorough manual on how to play, or toggle various game settings.
How to Play
- As I mentioned earlier (and as the name readily gives away), Spy vs Spy is a competitive game. You and your opponent will be racing the clock to see who can pick up a passport, a key, money, and a copy of their secret plans and make it to the escape door the quickest.
- Movement – The entire screen acts as a virtual d-pad. If you swipe to the left, you’ll go left. If you swipe to the right – you guessed it – you’ll move right. And because it’s a 3D environment, swiping up and down will move you in those directions.
- Interacting with Objects – Items are located in desks, TVs, containers, and various other places located throughout the Embassy. To check them, walk up close and tap on them. If there’s something in them, it will show up in your hand. This is also how you open doors and access ladders and holes in the wall.
- Items – When something is in your inventory, you’ll see it show up on the right side of the screen. If it’s flashing, it means it’s currently in your hand or briefcase.
- Footsteps – As you move around in the game, a line of footprints will show up directly behind you. Many of the levels have a bit of a labyrinthine design, so it makes it much easier to figure out where you’ve already been.
- In order to carry more than one item at once, you’re going to need the briefcase. Like everything else in the game, it will be hidden away in one of the many rooms. When it’s not in your possession, you’ll immediately drop the item in your hand when you pick up a second one. This can be used to your advantage (hiding things from the enemy), but you’ll still want the briefcase as quickly as possible.
Fending off the Enemy
- Booby Traps – In true Spy vs Spy fashion, traps are an integral part of the experience. They aren’t always crucial to your victory, but they’re very good at slowing the enemy down. To use one, tap on the menu on the right side and select which one you’re interested in.
- Gun – My personal favorite is the classic gun-on-a-string trap. It can be set up by equipping the gun, attaching the string to something in the room you’re in, then attaching said string to a door. When your enemy walks through, they’ll be pelted with bullets. The remedy is a pair of scissors, which can be found in the red medical kits.
- Spring – You can also hide springs in objects. When the opponent tries to interact with where they’re hidden away, they’ll fly across the room and die. The remedy is a wire cutter, which can be found in the white containers.
- Bucket of Water – Another staple in the world of pranks, you can place buckets of water on top of doors. When the opponent walks through, they’ll be splashed and zapped. The remedy is an umbrella, and they can be found on coat racks.
- Bomb – A weapon that needs no introduction, you can blast your opponents away with a well-placed bomb. The remedy is a bucket of water, which can be found in pink containers throughout the game.
- Timebomb – Taking it a step further, there’s the timebomb. When set off, it blows up everything in the vicinity.
How to Fight
- Booby traps aren’t the only things you’ll be using to fend off the enemy. You’ll also be engaging in hand-to-hand combat.
- When you and the other player enter the same room, you’ll immediately be taken into combat mode. Any items in your possession will be stripped away and hidden throughout the room. If you walk away from the fight victorious, you’ll be able to pick them back up.
- Combat – In the game’s main mode, you’ll see three different possible attack moves floating above your player. All you have to do is tap on the attack bubbles. There’s no real difference in effect, and the player who taps the fastest will ultimately win.
- In the game’s retro mode, you have two different moves. Depending on where you tap on the lower screen, you’ll use an upper or lower attack.
- Because of how the game is structured, you can always see what your opponent is up to. It’s a good idea to keep an eye on them, but keep in mind you’re on a timer. You can’t stare at them all the time!
- Attacking your opponent with booby traps will buy you time. Do it whenever possible!
- If you try to leave the Embassy without all of the necessary items, an agent will knock you backwards. Make sure you have everything, and make sure it’s in the briefcase!
You have completed Gamezebo’s quick start guide for Spy vs Spy! Be sure to check back often for game updates, staff and user reviews, user tips, forums comments and much more here at Gamezebo!