Game Introduction – Temple Run
Temple Run is an endless running game from Imangi Studios for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. Mutants are chasing you, so you need to run as fast as you can to stay away from them! Keeping up without falling off of a cliff can be difficult but with Gamezebo’s quick start guide you’ll have all the tips and tricks you’ll need to stay ahead at all times.
Quick Start Guide
- To get started and playing Temple Run you’ll first need to download it by clicking the “Play Now” button at the top of this screen.
- Once the game has finished downloading, you can find it on your home screen. Tap on the icon labeled Temple Run to start playing.
- On the main menu, go ahead and tap on the Play button to start playing immediately. Watch out because the game isn’t shy about throwing you into the fire right out of the gate!
How to Play
- Temple Run is a game that tasks you with running as far as you can without falling or getting killed by the mutants chasing you. Let’s go over the basic controls so you understand how you can avoid death at all costs.
- Your character will run automatically, so there is no control necessary to make him/her move forward. Jumping requires you to swipe up on the screen, ducking requires that you swipe down, and turning requires you to swipe left or right (depending on your desired direction).
- If you don’t make the move at the precisely correct time, you’ll have to start all over again. This is regardless of how you died, whether you fell off of a platform by missing a turn or jump or get eaten by the mutants.
- Certain obstacles such as trees will get in your way, and when you miss and hit them, you will only slow down making the mutants come closer to you. If you continue to hit obstacles, they will kill you.
- Coins are available on the platforms as you are running, and can be used to buy upgrades and new characters (we’ll go over that later). To grab these coins, you will need to tilt your iPhone or iPad to the left or right to make your character veer off in the direction of the coins.
- If you do end up dying, you will be taken to a status screen where you can see your score, how long you ran before dying, and you can share your score with your friends on Facebook or Twitter.
- When you are not playing, or are at the main menu you can access the Store button to access the in-game store to purchase upgrades and new characters to play as.
- Note: You can earn the coins necessary to purchase these items, but you may also buy coins to speed up the process. Be careful before making any purchases with real money.
- Upgrades are purchased from the in-game store, but can only then be used when picked up while playing (a silhouette of the upgrade’s icon will appear in the air).
- Mega Coin – This is a coin that is worth up to 100 coins when grabbed. Each time you upgrade the coin, it will become worth more and more.
- Coin Magnet – For a short time, you do not need to bother with tilting your device, as the coins will come to you. Each time you upgrade this, the duration of the upgrade will last longer.
- Invisibility – You will become invisible for a time while using this upgrade, making you invincible as well. Platforms will make paths so that you can’t fall of of them, and the mutants will not attack you. As you upgrade Invisibility, it will come to last longer.
- Boost – Boost will make you run at an extreme speed, and will also make you invincible for its duration. Using this upgrade combined with Coin Magnet (if you can get lucky enough) makes for a good score run. Upgrading this will make it last longer.
- Coin Multiplier – This upgrade will make the coins you collect worth more, as the distance traveled is greater. This is done by making the red, yellow, and blue coins appear on the platforms and they are worth a lot more than regular coins. A good example of this is the red coin will appear only after you make it to 1000m. Upgrading this will add different coins.
Utilities and Characters
- Utilities are one off use items that you can purchase, such as the Resurrection Wings, Small Boost, and Mega Boost.
- Resurrection Wings – These will automatically resurrect you when activated. Be careful though, they will disappear if they are activated and not used. To use it, you need to tap on the wing icon that shows up in the top right corner of the screen during gameplay.
- Small Boost – Will appear near the top of the screen when you have purchased one. Tapping on it will boost you 1000m forward so that you can start gathering coins faster.
- Mega Boost – Works just like the Small Boost, but will boost you to 2500m instead of 1000m when used.
- New characters are also available to purchase in the store and are usually very expensive. While buying a new character is purely cosmetic, it can be neat to play as an Indiana Jones lookalike.
- Some of the most fun you can have with Temple Run is when you are competing against friends for high scores. After you have failed in a run, you can tap on the Game Center icon to access these leaderboards.
- Once you’re in the leaderboards, you can compare your score with your friends, sort the leaderboard by week, today, or all time. You may even become good enough to get a top spot on the worldwide leaderboard.
- You have completed the quick start guide for Temple Run on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. You’ll be the fastest runner around now that you know the ropes! Keep checking back with Gamezebo for more guides, plus reviews, previews, news and more.