Restaurant City: Gourmet Edition – Game Introduction
Restaurant City: Gourmet Edition is an iPhone game developed by Playfish that lets you manage and customize your own restaurant. Gamezebo’s Restaurant City: Gourmet Edition strategy guide and walkthrough will provide you with a quick start guide, tips and tricks, hints and cheats to help you build the best restaurant on the block.
Quick Start Guide
- Restaurant City: Gourmet Edition can be played by clicking the “Free – Play Now” button at the top of this page.
- In order to find friends to play with in the game you’ll need to connect to your Facebook account. The game doesn’t, however, connect to the Facebook version of Restaurant City.
- In the game you’ll be running a restaurant. This means managing employees, selecting a menu, and customizing the restaurant itself.
- At the top of the game screen you’ll see four important pieces of information: gold coins, chef tokens, gourmet points, and popularity.
- Gold coins are the main currency in the game. You’ll earn them as customers purchase meals, and you can use them to buy most items in the game. You can also sometimes earn coins by shaking trees (simply tap on a tree outside your restaurant) and you can purchase additional coins with real world money by tapping on the gold coin icon.
- Chef tokens are the premium currency in the game. You’ll start the game with a few but after that you’ll need to purchase them with real world money. Chef tokens are used for buying certain specialty items in the game that can’t be purchase with gold coins.
- Gourmet points are Restaurant City: Gourmet Edition‘s version of experience points. You earn them by serving customers and as you reach new levels you’ll unlock additional content.
- Popularity affects how many customers will visit your restaurant. The higher the popularity, the more people will visit. To increase popularity you can by better equipment such as stoves or bathrooms.
Menu and Ingredients
- In order to serve customers you’ll need a menu, which is the top icon on the left hand side of the main screen. Once in this section you can select new dishes to serve, which fall under four categories: starter, main, dessert, and drink. (Note: at present the “Unlocks” tab doesn’t appear to be active.)
- In order to level up dishes (which will earn you more money) or unlock new ones you’ll need ingredients. If you have the correct ingredients to learn or level up a dish the icon will be green. If not, it will be yellow.
- At present you can serve two of each type of dish at once.
- Dishes that are highlighted with beige are the ones currently on your menu.
- You can acquire new ingredients either by trading them (the third icon in the menu section) or by purchasing them (the fourth icon in the menu section, or the ingredients stand located on the street outside of your restaurant).
- The ingredients in the ingredients market change daily. Each day there will be three ingredients that you can purchase with gold coins. For everything else, you’ll need to spend chef tokens.
- You’ll also normally earn new ingredients when you reach a new experience level.
Employees and Decorations
- When you reach certain experience levels you’ll be able to hire new employees. These employees will fall under one of three categories: cook, waiter, and janitor. Each job has a specific responsibility. Chefs cook the food, waiters serve it, and janitors clean up.
- If you are low on any job your restaurant won’t run smoothly. Too few cooks and there won’t be enough food. Too few waiters and the customers won’t be served quickly enough. Too few janitors and the tables will go uncleared while the bathrooms will become unusable.
- Thankfully, you can change jobs at any time. Simply go into the employee menu (the second option from the bottom on the left hand side of the screen), select and employee, and then tap a new job. You can do this as many times as you like in order to get the best possible set-up.
- To customize your restaurant tap the hammer icon on the left hand side of the screen. Here you can expand your restaurant and purchase new items for it.
- To expand your restaurant tap the big green “Expand” arrow on the left side of the screen.
- When it comes to purchasing decorations and items, some are much more useful than others. Tables and chairs, for instance, are necessary to seat customers. As your restaurant becomes more popular you’ll see patrons who are unable to sit, which means it’s time for some new furniture.
- Likewise, purchasing a better stove increases how quickly your chef can prepare meals, which means customers will wait less, which means they’ll be out of the restaurant very quickly, making room for new customers.
- To learn more about an item hold your finger on it for a moment.
- Other items such as arcade machines and comfy chairs can be used to keep customers happy while they’re waiting for a table.
- You’ve completed the Restaurant City: Gourmet Edition quick start guide for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Now you have all the skills you need to run a successful restaurant full of satisfied customers. Be sure to keep checking back with Gamezebo for our extensive coverage with reviews, previews, guides and more.