Game Introduction – Feed Me Oil
Feed Me Oil for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch is an amazing game of movement where you utilize the laws of physics to complete puzzles. The soil is starving for oil and it is up to you to figure out how to feed it using various elements such as gravity, wind, magnets, and more. Figure out these puzzles as fast as you can and compete with your friends. Don’t worry if you get stuck, help is available if you need it. Gamezebo’s quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- Feed Me Oil can be downloaded from the App Store by clicking on the “Play Now!” button at the top of this page.
- Once you load the game, you may want to tap on the “Crystal” button which is a social gaming network that allows you to invite friends, check leaderboard scores, connect to Facebook and more.
- The game will ask if it can use your current location. Choose “OK” or “Don’t allow”. You can always change this later if you wish.
- You have the option to invite friends to play along with you. You can invite them if you know their Crystal social gaming network user name, email address, or you can sign in via Facebook to connect with friends also playing. When friends invite one another, an email is sent asking the other to log into the game and accept the request.
- You have the option right away (and at any time during the game) of spending an additional 99 cents to have unlimited hints in the game without the customary 30 second delay in between hints. This is an in-app purchase and will be billed to your iTunes account.
- Along the bottom of the menu screen is your navigation bar. Tap on these buttons to access your profile, friend list, leader board scores, and more.
- The game will give you a brief tutorial. As you progress in the game it will become more difficult and you may need help from hints.
How to play the game
- The game works on the premise that the soil is hungry for oil and you must figure out how to pump the oil from a broken pipe into the designated area which is shown with a dotted line over it.
- You will be given all kinds of elements to help you solve these puzzles.
- Place the elements around the picture in such a way that the oil will flow into the designated area(s). Elements can be placed anywhere in the picture and can overlap things such as levers and ground. They can even overlap each other.
- There is a number in each of the designated areas and as oil is added to it this number counts down. When the number reaches zero you have completed the puzzle successfully. Sometimes it will take time for the oil to flow into the designated area.
- The faster you solve the puzzle and the least amount of elements you use to do so the higher your score. Each puzzle has more than one possible solution so your goal is to find the fastest solution with the least amount of help from fans, platforms, etc. You earn stars when you use less elements to solve a puzzle and you earn points based on how fast you complete it. You will be shown your score after each session is completed.
- Be sure to look through the “Accomplishment” section as this is another way to play the game. Set goals for yourself on the accomplishment list.
- Solution Time – Each puzzle is timed and your best score is always recorded so you can come back and play again to get a better score. (See “Accomplishments” below)
- Unused Elements/Stars – Each puzzle has potential for more than one solution and these solutions may include not using all of the platform, magnets, fans, and more that are available to you. If you can do this you will earn stars.
- Earning a predetermined amount of stars is one of the accomplishments you can complete.
- You will earn points that add up each time you play a level. If you replay and get a higher score that is what you are rewarded with so it is well worth your time to replay levels to get a better score.
- You can retry a puzzle at any time for as many times as you want without penalty. Your high score will be the only score recorded.
- In the upper let corner you will see a pause button and a hint button.
- Hint Button – The hint button has a number next to it. This button will tell you how many steps are needed to complete the puzzle.
- If you get stuck you can tap on the hint button and you will be shown the correct placement of a platform, fan, magnet, etc. by a red outline of that object. Tap on the element listed in the menu which can be found in different places on the screen due to the changing artwork, but usually they can easily be found in the top or bottom corner.
- Hints can be used once every 30 seconds and a countdown timer appears as soon as you use one hint so you know how long you have until you can use another if needed.
- Purchasing wait free hints – . If you want to purchase unlimited hints without the 30 second lockout you can do so for an additional 99 cents as an in app purchase which will be charged to your iTunes account.
- Important – Some puzzles will offer you the exact number of hints needed to solve the puzzle and some will offer you all hints but the very last one. Usually these puzzles have more than two solutions and you may be able to solve them without the last element. It is always a good idea to run the oil through and see if the solution will work at that point.
- How to use guiding elements – Tap on the item you wish to place and it will activate with a white ring around it. Use your fingertip to drag it to a location and adjust it as needed. If you are using a hint try to line it up exactly over the red image.
- You can place these anywhere in the picture and they can overlap each other an other items and still work.
Guiding Elements available and what they do for you
Platform or Plank
- You will start the game with the simple element of a platform. This platform or plank is basically a straight line which can be rotated like a clock hand.
- Use your fingertip to guide it into the position you wish to place it.
- Platforms deflect the oil and cause it to bounce off.
- You will likely use these in every puzzle with the exception of bonus and later levels.
- You can be given multiple platforms to use in a particular puzzle. You don’t always have to use them all and if you can solve the puzzle without using all of them you will earn stars and extra points.
Rotating Cross Platform
- This element looks like two planks that have been crossed like an “X”
- The cross platform is always in motion rotating and to place it you will tap on it in the menu and drag it with your fingertip to the location you wish to place it.
- Once in place you will want to check the direction of rotation.
- To change the direction of rotation use your fingertip on the areas around the white circle where you see arrows and swipe your finger in that direction and you should see it change.
- Magnets are small and horseshoe shaped and can be rotated into any direction.
- You will see a red magnetic field under the open end of the magnet. This obviously draws oil towards it and holds it in one place you can use this to your advantage when trying to solve puzzles.
- Sometimes you will have more than one magnet in a puzzle to deal with.
- Tiny motorized fans are another element added to the game after a few levels.
- These can be rotated to aim in any direction.
- The rotation of the blades cannot be changed and does not affect the outcome.
- Fans will blow the oil in a particular direction.
- Big magnets are used in puzzles and are block like in shape.
- They have a stronger pull and can be placed in any direction in the puzzle. The big magnet will hold a large amount of oil in one place which can be very helpful in some puzzles.
- You will not be able to move these magnets in any way but will have to consider what they will do to the oil when it moves close by.
Wind Elements (Large and Small)
- There are two types of wind elements in the game. The blue large and pink small. The blue is larger and more powerful than the pink wind element.
- These are circles that blow air in a circular motion or spin it to move oil along.
- The largest wind element is blue and looks like several blue dots moving in a circle pattern.
- The small wind element is pink and looks like several pink dots moving in a circle.
- You can change the direction of a wind element the same way you change a cross platform. Use your fingertip and swipe the outer area of the with circle with your fingertip. Swipe it in the direction you wish the wind to move.
- Wind elements can be placed next to and overlapping each other.
- Note – If you use a hint you will see the wind element in red. Take note of the direction it is spinning in and be sure to change your element so that it matches exactly.
- You will be required to color the oil in some puzzles. This is done by running the oil through the dyeing mechanism shown in image above.
- Note that the dotted line will change colors if the oil required is to be colored. Be sure you match the colors correctly especially if there is more than one.
Buttons and Levers
- Many levels will require that you have oil hit a button which in turn raises or lowers a lever which can block oil from other locations.
- Red Button – The oil need only touch the button once to activate it. It does not need to continuously hold the button down.
- Yellow button – This button my be in constant contact with oil in order to work. It will flash green when oil is touching it. It will cause parts of the wall or levers to move up and down.
- Be aware of what levers will do and study the path as you place elements.
Changing the Direction of Rotation of an element
- How to change direction of rotation – The direction of rotation can be very important to solving a puzzle. Several different elements rotate and will require that you change the direction of their rotation to solve the puzzle.
- Make note of the direction things are moving before you lock in your choice. If you need to change it take your fingertip and swipe it where the arrows are located in the direction you want things to move. You should see the rotation change instantly. It takes a gentle touch to change it but once you do it a couple of times it becomes very easy.
- You can change the direction a second time if you need to just follow the same procedure. The rotating items never stop moving.
- Bonus levels are available for you to play once you have earned a minimum of 50 stars.
- You can access the bonus level menu by starting the game and at the level menu you will see a “Bonus Level” button at the bottom right corner. Tap on that to access this menu. At the upper right corner of all level menus you will see how many stars you have earned so far in the game.
- The next bonus levels are available when you earn 90, and 130 stars respectively.
- There is also a bonus level available that can be gifted to you by neighbors or you can earn it by gifting it to three of your neighbors.
- These bonus levels are a little harder than the others and they also have their own leader board which you can reach by tapping on the little green tab at the bottom right of the bonus level screens.
- Tap on the purple achievement bar at the bottom of the menu screen to see the various achievements you can earn in the game.
- It is a good idea to scroll through these before you begin playing so you have a good idea of what you need to do to earn them all.
- These include things such as “Collecting Stars”, “Using hints, “Not using hints”, “Losing 50,000 ml of oil” and many more.
- Once you earn an achievement a notification will pop up briefly from the bottom of your game screen and you will see a green check mark next to the goal once it is reached in the achievements menu.
- Expect more of these achievement to be added to the list as the game updates over time.
- You are allowed to give free gifts to your friends once every 24 hours.
- If you give three of one particular gift to three friends you will be given one of those items to use in your game.
- The free gifts start out at one and as you progress in the game more free gifts are available for you to send out daily.
- As the game updates there will likely be even more gifts added for you to send.
Changing Profile/Adding Friends
- In order to change your profile tap on the “Crystal” icon at the main menu.
- When you go into the next screen you will see icons listed along the left side of the screen. Tap on these icons to access, neighbor invitation, achievements, leader board scores and more.
- You will want friends to play along with you because they can send you free gifts and every time you send out three gifts to friends you will be given that gift for your own use. These gifts could include things such as extra hints, stars, or levels.
- You have completed the basic game play guide for Feed Me Oil for iPhone, iPad and the iPod touch by Chillingo games. Be sure to check back often for game updates, Staff and user reviews, user tips, forum comments and much more here at Gamezebo!