Tiny Wings – Game Introduction
Tiny Wings is a survival “running” (in this case flying) game from Andreas Illiger for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Tiny Wings is a one-touch game, challenging you to travel as far as you can in the daylight before being swallowed by the nighttime sky. Gamezebo’s Tiny Wings quick start guide will provide you with plenty of tips, tricks, hints and cheats that will help you travel far.
Quick Start Guide
- To start playing Tiny Wings, you need to download it from the App Store by clicking on the “Get it Now!” button at the top of this page.
- After the game has installed, you can launch Tiny Wings by tapping on the icon on your home screen labeled “Tiny Wings.”
- In Tiny Wings, you play as a round bird with tiny wings, which has never been able to truly fly due to his deformity. Your goal is to help this little bird travel as far as it can by sliding up and down hills, gliding or flapping his wings on your command.
- Each time you play Tiny Wings, you’ll start at the most left point on the screen, right before dawn has broken for the day.
- To start the level into motion, tap on the screen when asked to “Touch for Sunrise.”
- The world is split into different “islands.” These islands are separated by long jumps, and each have a different pattern on the land to set them apart from each other. The goal is to make it to as many islands as you can while the sun is still in the sky.
- You can see night’s location behind you by taking a quick glance at the meter in the bottom left corner of the screen. Depending on how sunny that meter is, the longer it will take for night to catch up.
- Eventually, night will catch up to you, and our hero will fall asleep almost instantly, ending the game.
- Your only interaction with Tiny Wings is through a single touch on the screen, through which you can control the bird’s momentum. Gravity will cause the bird to speed up as it slides down hill, and you can increase this speed further by tapping and holding on the screen to make the bird pull in his wings.
- The first few times you play the game, a finger icon will show up on the screen serving as a tutorial for when to tap on the screen, and when to let go. This is called the Touch Teacher, and it will go away after a short time with the game. To turn it back on, go to the Main Menu, tap on Help, and then tap on Activate.
- When you want to gain altitude and not force yourself to succumb to gravity, you release your finger from the screen, which allows the bird to shoot high off of hills and really gain speed. If you play correctly, tapping and releasing your finger at the proper time, you’ll eventually come to a long downhill stretch of land that will send the bird flying high into the sky and onto the next island where gameplay continues.
Earning a High Score
- Your score in Tiny Wings is dependent not only on how far you physically travel each time you play, but also by how many coins you collect along the way. Coins are represented by glowing golden orbs on the land, which the bird automatically collects (swallows) as it passes over them. Each coin is worth 3 points by default.
- You can also pick up larger, blue orbs that are speed boosts, sending you far ahead of the nighttime sky, allowing gameplay to continue for just a bit longer, and your score to keep climbing as a result.
- Once night has caught you, you will be shown your score for that game. If you made a perfect slide (that is, you touched the screen and let go at the exact moments for the most momentum), you will see these on the screen. They are worth at least 100 bonus points, depending on your multiplier (see Upgrading your Nest below).
- If you send the bird high enough to touch a cloud (20 points times your in-game multiplier), you will also see these instances shown on the end-game screen.
- Your high score will be tracked through the first 10 times you play the game, at which point any score higher than your tenth lowest will show up on the game’s leaderboard, which can be found by tapping on the Menu button and then tapping Scores.
- One final way to increase your score is to activate Fever Mode in-game. Any time you complete three perfect slides in a row, you activate Fever Mode. From then until you make an incorrect slide (that is, you miss the perfect momentum), all points you score will be doubled.
Upgrading your Nest
- At the start of each game, your bird is sitting in a nest. You can also see this nest when you are on the Main Menu. This nest can be upgraded by completing various tasks within the game. For the first upgrade, you will need to perform 7 Perfect Slides, gather 100 coins in total across all games, and reach the fourth island in at least one game.
- You can keep track of your current nest upgrade requirements by going to the main menu and tapping on Objectives underneath your current score multiplier. Tap on this button again to return the menu to normal.
- Once you upgrade your nest, your overall score multiplier will increase. For this first upgrade, your multiplier will rise from x10 (the default) to x12. This will help you earn more points in each and every game played from then on. This also unlocks another set of objectives to upgrade your nest again.
- You have completed the basic gameplay guide for Tiny Wings for iPhone & iPod Touch. Be sure to check back often for game updates, Staff and user reviews, user tips, forum comments and much more here at Gamezebo!