Magic Life – Game Introduction
Magic Life developed by Glu Games for the iPhone allows you to go on an enchanted journey where you learn about the world of magic, alchemy, special effects and mystery. You will start as an apprentice at the Magic Guild on the mysterious Island of Magic and work your way up to a fully trained Magician. Complete quests, interact with people you meet and learn spells that will allow you complete quests quickly and earn loot which will allow you to purchase improved items to use on your journey. Gamezebo’s Magic Life strategy guide and walkthrough will provide you with a quick start guide with tips, tricks, and hints on how to win.
Quick Start Guide
- Magic Life is a free application and can be downloaded from the link at the top of this page.
- Magic Life allows you to connect with your Facebook friends. If you do not have a Facebook account you can sign up for one here – Click here to sign up for a free Facebook Account
- The game will automatically import any friends on your friend list that have the app installed on their device and are signed in to Facebook to your neighbor list. You will be able to earn special bonuses from Facebook neighbors.
- The game can be reset at any time from the Main menu
- NOTE – you will lose any purchased item or game progress if you reset.
- Once you load the app you will be asked to choose your game character. There is a male and female option that are free and as you level up in the game more options will be available and you can change this later for a cost.
- Next you will meet your game Mentor which takes you through a brief text tutorial at the bottom of the game screen. Tap on the screen to read the next sentence.
- A. Level/Mana/XP Indicators – In the upper left corner you will see your game level in the circle and the blue bar represents the amount of Mana you have. Mana is used to cast spells in the game. The lower bar with the gold represents the number of XP (Experience Points) you have and determine when you level up in the game. NOTE – Tap on this area and you will see a Mana Timer which counts down until you earn more free Mana, the maximum amount of Mana you can have for your current level and it wills how you how many XP you must earn before you reach the next level. You can also purchase more mana from this screen. To get this screen to disappear tap on a corner of the white area.
- B. Currency Indicators – Here you will see the 2 types of currency you have in the game. The top yellow indicates your gold coins which is the game’s basic currency. The bottom blue number represents Crystals which are the games premium virtual currency which allows you to purchase items in the game that help you to level up faster such as completing potions instantly instead of waiting for them to complete or purchasing the potions outright so you do not have to make them at all or purchase the items for the potion so you don’t need to take the time to look for them.
- C. Quest Book – Tap here to open your Quest book. The game has several quests going at once and you can work on them in any order you choose. Tap on the quest information to get more specific information about where to find an ingredient.
- D. Inventory Chest – This is where any potions you make or mana you earn is stored. Tap on it to make it appear and tap on green arrow at bottom right to close it. Tap on an item you wish to use or sell.
- E. Game Map – Tap here to instantly go to the game map which shows you all the locations in Guild Island. (See Game Map Below)
- F. Magic Button – As you move your avatar around the screen bump up against items such as trees, friends, or treasure chests and you will see items appear in this window. Tap on it to activate a spell on the item you are bumped up against.
Game Map/Guild Island
- Here is the map of Guild Island and you will see all the locations you can visit listed here. Tap on an area to visit it. NOTE – There are 3 Islands in the game and you will need to play the game to unlock the other 2 Islands. Once Unlocked you can move between Islands and follow a storyline or stay on one Island and complete daily quests. Play however you like.
- The map in the image above shows Guild Island which is the first unlocked Island and the Stores in them. All of the Islands will contain their versions of these stores and they can all be accessed once unlocked by tapping on the map at the bottom of the screen and you can flip between Islands by tapping on the arrows at the sides of the screen.
- A. Ingredients Store – Here you can purchase any ingredients needed to make potions.
- B. Decoration Store – Here you can purchase decorations for your House.
- C. Magic Lab – Tap here to make potions which will help you complete the various quests in the game.
- D. My Home – This is your Home in the game. You can collect funds here by clicking on the book inside and you can decorate the home however you wish by visiting the decoration store.
- E. Clothes Store – Visit here to purchase new clothing for your game Avatar. Be sure to note the different categories at the top of the screen. Tap on them to change categories.
Moving around the Game Screen/Magic Button
- Whenever you touch your character a direction pad will appear around him or her. Tap on the arrow and your character will walk in that direction.
- To Zoom in and out of the scene double tap on the screen.
- The game will help you by giving you red arrows to follow when needed. Whenever you are lost in the game follow the red arrow then tap on the magic button at the bottom right of the screen for instructional dialogue.
- To act upon an item you will need to place your avatar right against it until you see an image in the magic button at the bottom right of the game screen. If you have the potion ready you can tap on the image to use it or a message will appear telling you that you need to make the potion and what you need to make it.
- Every action you perform is done by pressing the magic button at the bottom right of the game screen. This includes gathering coins, casting spells on items or people, and opening doors to various buildings. The action you can perform will be displayed inside the magic window of the button.
- If you are in a book you can slide your finger to turn its pages.
- Magic Life is a game of quest completion.
- Epic Quests – Epic Quests lead you through three Islands with a single storyline. If you do not wish to follow the storyline you can keep very busy in the first Island which is “Guild Island” by completing daily quests, earning gold coins, visiting friends and exchanging spells with them, and decorating your house.
- You will be asked to perform many quests and the first few will be in the game tutorial. Once you complete the tutorial you should have a good idea as to how to access quest list, find items, make potions and purchase items.
- Tap on the Quest book to see all quests that are currently active. You will also see a progress meter under each quest. Tap on a quest for more information about it.
- If you bump up against a person (Game character such as the “Quest Master” or a friend) you will see a cloud with “…” inside the magic window at the lower right corner of the game screen. This means the character would like to speak to you. Tap on the button and the character’s text will appear at the bottom of the screen. If the text ends in “…” there is more text and you need to keep tapping on the text window to keep reading.
- You will start with one quest and as you play you will have many quests available that you can work on but you can only work on one at a time. To do this tap on the quest book at the bottom left and it will open showing you all current quests and there is a progress meter showing how close you are to completion of that quest. At the bottom right of every listed quest there is an open box which you can tap on to activate that quest as your active quest. You will see a blue bubble appear in the box as shown in image above. This means you character avatar is working on your chosen quest and you can toggle between quests at any time.
- Once a quest is activated it will appear in the quest book and disappear once completed.
How to make and use Potions/Recipes
- As you play the game you will be asked to make potions for certain quests potions are prepared inside the Guild Hall Lab in the upper right hand corner of Guild Island. Each potion will require you to have certain ingredients. Tap on the Quest book at the bottom left and then tap on the quest for more information.
- There are 30 Potions available in the game and as you level up more will unlock that are more involved and will require ingredients that are harder to find.
- You will see a list of ingredients on the right side of the screen. If you tap on an ingredient you will see text that explains to you where you can find the item. You will have to search around the Island until you find the items and when you have them all you will go back to the lab to make them.
- Tap on the lab itself in the upper right corner of Guild Island and make sure your game character avatar is bumped against the door until you see a door icon in the magic window at the bottom right of the screen. Tap on the door to go inside. Option 2 – Tap on the map at the bottom right and then on the lab and you will be taken instantly inside the lab.
- Next, you will see 3 cauldrons and you can make up to 3 potions at a time. Each potion will take a different amount of time unless you use crystals to speed up the process and complete it instantly.
- A potion can take anywhere from 10 seconds to several days to complete based on your game level.
- Once you have all needed items tap on “Create” and a countdown clock will appear above the cauldron. You can leave the game and the potion will continue to brew.
- Once the potion is complete you can tap on the cauldron and it will be added to your inventory. Next you can go to the location you need to be in order to cast the spell. The red arrow will show you where you need to be in a given quest. You can go to the quest book and tap on a quest to make sure your avatar is heading to the right area.
- Once you have reached the area you need to use a potion bump your avatar against it until you see the image in the window then tap on it to activate the potion or spell. You should instantly see a smoke bubble and you will earn XP for completing the quest.
- Many Quests once completed will level you up in the game. Especially the early levels.
- Mana – Mana is what you need to perform spells and use potions in the game.
- You start out with your mana meter at the top left of the game screen filled with 20 Mana and each time you perform a spell or use a potion you will use up a certain amount of Mana.
- Mana regenerates every few minutes and your maximum amount of Mana increases each time you level up.
- If you run out you can wait until it regenerates, use crystals to purchase more, or make mana in the lab.
- Gold Coins – This is the basic game currency and you are given 100 Gold coins when you start the game. You can earn free coins by going inside your house periodically and by visiting friends that you will see walking around the Island. If you have Facebook friends that play the game and you are logged into Facebook you can visit those friends to collect free coins and you can cast spells on them to help them out and they can do the same for you. (See how to visit friends below)
- Crystals – You are given 5 Free Crystals when you start the game and you can use these for special purchases of premium items or to instantly brew potions eliminating the wait times.
- You can purchase more Crystals by tapping on the currency meter area at the top right of the screen then on the amount of Crystals you would like to purchase. 5 Crystals can be purchased for .99 cents and 4 bundle options are offered. This will be charged to your iTunes account.
- Tap on the meters at the upper left to see the countdown timer which shows you how much time is left until you earn more free Mana, how much your maximum amount of Mana is and how many XP you will need to earn to reach the next level in the game. Reaching a new level unlocks quests, potions and items you can purchase in the stores.
How to Cast Spells
- Once you have your needed potion completed check off the quest you wish to complete and then the red arrow will appear in front of your Character avatar. Follow this arrow until you reach the destination. Bump you avatar up against it and you will see an image in the Magic Window at the bottom right of the screen. Tap on this image to activate the spell and use the potion.
- You will see a Quest Completion screen if the spell was successful as well as see the results of the spell.
- Once you complete a quest another appears once you walk into an area to trigger it. If you find you don’t have many quests just walk your avatar around the Island until you trigger a new one.
- NOTE – As you level up in the game you will unlock more Islands to explore with more Quests and potions for you.
- Casting a Spell on Yourself – To cast a spell on yourself you will need to stand next to the Transformation stone which is right next to the Guild Hall.
Collecting Daily Loot from your House
- Visit your house daily to collect free gold coins.
- Tap on the map and then “My House” or move your avatar character to the door of your house and when you see the picture of a door in the magic button area tap on it to go inside.
- You will see a book stand to the far left with a varying amount of coins on it. Tap on it to collect the coins.
- Be sure to visit every 24 hours for more free coins.
- NOTE – When you visit apprentice friends walking around the Island you can collect coins from them in this manner as well.
How to Decorate your House/Use, Place or Sell Inventory Items
- You will be given a house which you can decorate any way you choose.
- Tap on the house or bump your character icon against the door then tap on the door icon at the bottom right in the magic window area.
- Once inside tap on the treasure chest to see you inventory. Tap on the chair icon which represents furniture.
- You can purchase furniture in the decoration store using gold coins or crystals and once purchased it will be found in your inventory.
- NOTE – There are 4 tabs at the top of your inventory which are for (Left to Right) Clothing, Furniture, Potions, and Ingredients. Tap on the category you want and you will see any items you have in inventory.
- Decorate – To decorate your house tap on the furniture item in your inventory and then it will drop into your house. Use your finger and drag it to the area you wish to place it. Let go of the screen and it will drop down into place. Items can overlap in your House.
- Selling Items – To sell an item drag it with your fingertip to the cash register at the bottom of the screen. A confirmation screen will appear showing you how much you will be able to sell the item for which is a fraction of the amount you will purchase it for so be sure to sell only if you really need the coins. You can only earn coins by selling items. Tap on “Sell” to confirm or “Cancel” if you change your mind. The amount will be immediately added to your gold coins if you sell.
- Placing items in your house back into Inventory – To do this drag the item over the chest at the bottom of the screen and it will go back into your inventory for storage.
How to Locate Ingredients/Treasure Chests/Trees
- Treasure Chests – To locate items for your potions you will need to walk around the Island and you will need to use your Mana to perform certain spells such as Opening Chests which contain ingredients. Whenever you see a treasure chest bump you avatar character against it until you see a key in the magic window at the bottom right of the game screen. Tap on the Key and the chest will open. This will cost you 3 Mana each time you do it and will earn you 1 XP.
- Any ingredients you find in the chest will briefly appear at the right of the screen then go into your inventory which can be used right away.
- If you have a quest which asks you to find a certain number of chests be sure to set it in the quest book by tapping on it and the red arrow will lead you to any chests on the Island.
- If you run out of Mana you can purchase more, make more in lab, or wait for it to regenerate on its own every few minutes. (Tap on the meters at the top left to see how much time until more Mana is available)
- Trees – Trees allow you to find fruits or branches for various potions or quests. Bump you avatar against a tree until you see either a basket or a branch in the magic window. The basket means you are picking fruit and the branch means you are causing a dead tree to become infused with moisture to make it green again which is needed for some quests.
Visiting Neighbors/Collecting Loot/Sending Gifts and Trading Spells with your Neighbors
- There are a few ways to make friends in the game.
- Apprentice Friends – While walking around the Islands you will see characters with the word “Apprentice” over their heads. Bump your Character avatar into these students and they will become your friends.
- Visiting Friends – You must tap on your Quest book in order to visit a friend. Once inside tap on the “Friends” icon and a list of your friends will be shown.
- Facebook Friends – If you are logged into Facebook (Do this from the Main Menu) your friends that also play Magic Life will be incorporated onto your friend list automatically. Tap on a friend’s name to visit. You can send your Facebook friend a gift or a spell. Tap on the one you choose. The gifts and spells available increase as you level up. You can send 1 gift per friend per 24 hours.
- If you visit an Apprentice friend you will find yourself inside your friends house. You can tap on the stand at the left of the screen for a coin bonus you can earn once every 24 hours.
- You can also perform spells on your friends when you see them walking around the island bump your avatar and a menu will appear with a list of spells to choose from. You can do more spells as you level up but in the beginning you will be able to do things such as shrink a friend to allow them to visit tiny spaces, turn them into a pig or rabbit. These spells will benefit your friends and friends can send you these gifts as well.
- Sending Gifts – When you choose “Send Gift” tap on the button then a menu with all available gifts will show. Some may be locked depending on your level. Tap on the gift and it will be immediately sent to your Neighbor/Friend.
- Sending Spells – You can only send a spell IF you have the ingredients for it in your lab and the potion is prepared for that particular potion. Choose from the potion list and if you have all items ready it will send to your friend or Neighbor.
- You have completed the basic game play guide for Magic Life by Glu Games Inc. for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Be sure to check back often for game updates, Staff and user reviews, user tips, forum comments and much more here at Gamezebo!