PopCap announced today that Bookworm Adventures 2 will launch for PC on July 30. The sequel to the 2007 original Bookworm Adventures (which received a rare 5-star review from Gamezebo) takes players into three new literary landscapes and features new monsters, tile types, book-based "companions" and more.
"Bookworm Adventures Volume 2 exceeds its predecessor both in wordy fun and goofy puns," said Tysen Henderson, Executive Producer at PopCap, in a press release. "From the crazy book themes and brand-new game play to the powerful new ‘companions’ who join Lex on his adventure, Bookworm Adventures Vol. 2 takes the original word-game-with-light-role-playing-game play and runs in some exciting, funny new directions."
In the Bookworm Adventures series, players take on the role of Lex the bookworm, leading him through a series of well-known books and fictional characters which Lex must overcome by forming words from an ever-changing set of letter tiles. Making longer and more complex words gives Lex greater fighting prowess, while special "gem" letter tiles offer a range of power-up effects of their own. Various potions and treasures give Lex added power, defense, health, and dozens of other persistent or one-time abilities.
In the new sequel, wild card "rainbow" tiles, 20 new treasures and zany literary "companions" – fictional animal allies including Mother Goose and the Cheshire Cat – all provide players with even more ways to spell S-U-C-C-E-S-S. Three new mini-games augment those from the original BWA, offering a total of six different "side quest" activities to earn additional potions and power-ups.
New Features in Bookworm Adventures 2 include:
- Three new books with ten chapters each: "Fractured Fairytales," "The Monkey King" and "Astounding Planets."
- An infinite Replay mode where you can pick a book, fight foes and score big points.
- Six mini-games, including new "Mutant Words," "Golden Coins" and "Word Up."
- More than 130 ferocious new foes to battle while wielding more than 20 terrific new treasures.
- Companions – Literary figures that join Lex and battle by his side.
- Rainbow Tiles – New potent wild card tiles allow you to build gigantic words.
- An Arena mode where you must spell quickly to defeat your toughest enemies.
- Achievements – earn trophies, points and badges.
Bookworm Adventures 2 will be available beginning July 30 exclusively on PopCap.com, and will carry a list price of US$19.95.