Game Introduction - Westbound
Westbound is a free-to-play time management game where you are tasked with exploring canyons and establishing a booming city in a Wild West setting, while allotting resources, exploring islands, building houses, and more. Gamezebo’s quick-start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- Westbound is free to play, and can be played by using the “Available On” option at the top of this page.
- When you first start up the game, you will be thrust right into the tutorial. You will have to follow it in order to get started, as it is an integral part of the game.
Menu and HUD
- You can tap on any part of the HUD to learn what each aspect does, though we will explain each function here.
- The Resources tab allows you to purchase additional silver, gold, tonic, or pickaxes with in-game and real-world currency. This is the same as tapping each one of the icons on the bottom of the screen individually.
- The up arrow displays a grid overlay so you can get a better view of the area currently available to grow crops on and place other items.
- The icon to the far left is where you’ll find quests and other missions organized. Check it often to see what you need to accomplish next and what rewards are available for you upon completion.
- The multiple smiley faces denote a connection to Facebook. Connect your account if you’d like to share updates as you play.
- The icon on the bottom right is your shop, where you’ll buy various supplies, structures, and other assortments of items necessary to expand your homefront.
How to Play
- If you’re just starting out, you will have already completed the tutorial, which is unskippable. It will cover the basics of Westbound, but there is still more to be done from there.
- When you load up the game, the first thing to do is check on the missions available for you to take on. These are located to the left on your HUD, usually denoted by a picture of the person who has assigned you the mission. These images will change from time to time. Click on the picture to see what they want. Sometimes you’ll need to search for a lost person, amass several units of silver or supplies, or complete other side quests.
- If you’ve already established a mission to complete and are working on that, or need a flow to how your play time should go, scroll around the map to see what’s going on. Starting out, you’ll be surrounded by the canyon and other areas of the map that need to be explored. You can tap on these to clear them out, but each unit takes a few seconds to clear. Speed up the process by using Grit, which is culled from your supply of in-game currency. Conserve pickaxes, which are used for construction of buildings, for later on when you need them.
- As you complete quests and earn new units of currency, as well as wheat and other crops, you will gain experience, which is denoted by the yellow bar on the bottom left of the screen. Aim to earn as many levels as you can to unlock new varieties of installations, supplies, and crops.
- Everything you build or plant amasses rewards over time, so plan ahead. You’ll need wood for buildings, iron to create nails for said buildings, and so on. Even tumbleweeds may produce snakes, which can be tapped on to farm experience if you can catch them in time.
Tips and Tricks
- Multitasking and grinding are huge parts of the game. You’ll spend a lot of your time tapping and clearing out squares in order to progress, so before you start building new structures and tackling extra tasks, stockpile as many pickaxes and clear as many spaces as you can. You’ll be thankful for the space later when you need it.
- Hold off on using Grit or using currency until you really need it. When you reach level 10, things begin to become a lot pricier, so stay frugal where you can.
- Utilize all spaces that may be cleared. You never know what’s hiding that you may need!
You have completed Gamezebo’s quick start guide for Westbound. Be sure to check back often for game updates, staff and user reviews, user tips, forums comments and much more here at Gamezebo!