Game Introduction - Pet Shop Story
Pet Shop Story lets you build an amazingly cute pet shop the way that you want it. Place adorable cats, dogs, birds, fish and more in your shop. Breed animals and upgrade their homes. Complete quests, collections and play along with friends. Gamezebo’s Pet Shop Story quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- Pet Shop Story is a free application and can be found by clicking on the “Play Now” button at the top of this page.
- Push Notifications - You will be asked to set push notifications when you load the game for the first time. This can be changed in the settings area if needed. Notifications will be sent to your device if other players send you messages, if animals in the nursery are ready to be placed, icon badges are awarded, expansions are complete and more.
- Facebook/Social - Social settings are found in the main menu area. If you have a current Facebook account you can log in and have images and notifications published on your wall. You will always be asked first before anything is placed on your wall. This is also a good way to attract other players to play along with you.
- Storm 8 ID - When you play a game developed by TeamLava you will be prompted to sign up for a “Storm 8 ID” this is the ID used for all of their games. After you sign up you will be identified with this name in each game. All members will see this name so choose carefully. You can give this ID to other players and they can invite you to become their neighbors. Look for people’s Storm8 IDs in forum posts, Facebook pages, and on the walls of various community members. (See “Adding Neighbors” below for more information)
- To locate your Storm8 ID tap on “Menu” then “Social” and you will see your ID in the top right corner of the game screen.
- Choose your Pet Shop Name - You will be asked to choose a name for your Pet Shop. You can choose any name with a maximum of 14 characters. This name will be displayed for others to see.
- There are two types of currency in Pet Shop Story.
- Coins - This is the basic game currency that you will collect from your pets at different intervals and what most items are purchased with.
- Gems - This is the high end virtual currency that will allow you to purchase special high yield pets and decor and special privileges such as decreased wait times on breeding and more.
- You will start out with 12 gems and 900 coins during the tutorial. As you level up, complete quests, and visit neighbors you will earn more free coins and gems.
- Purchasing additional Currency - Additional currency can be purchased in the following manner.
- Coins - Coins can only be purchased with gems. You can purchase 450 coins for 9 gems up to nearly 5,000 coins for 99 gems.
- Gems - Gems can only be purchased with real currency. Tap on the gem meter to bring up the purchase menu. Gems are quite expensive starting from $4.99 to $89.99 for bundles. The more you buy the cheaper the overall cost. This is considered an “in app” purchase and will be charged to your iTunes account.
Collecting from and Feeding your Pets
- Each pet you place in your shop will earn you coins over time. You will see a gold “Collect” sign over the pet’s home when it is time to collect. Tap on it to collect and it will add coins to your overall total.
- As you add a mate and breed at least two more animals into the pen the amount of money will increase.
- Tap on an animal at any time to see how much time is left before you can collect again. There is a countdown clock shown when you tap on the area.
- Feeding - After you collect you will immediately see a pink “Feed” sign. Tap on this right away to feed your pets and you will earn XP which are the blue paw print icons that are seen thrown out as you feed your pets. As these add up you will reach the next level in the game.
- XP - Experience Points - These are seen in the upper left corner of the game screen along with your current game level. As the meter at the top left fills up you are closer to reaching the next game level that unlocks new items in the market and earns you bonus coins and XP.
- Pick up Coins, XP, and other icons - After you collect and feed your pets you will see that small icons are thrown and land on the ground around the playpens. These are your XP and coins icons. Tap on these to add them to your totals. If you do not tap on them they will add on eventually or if you close down the game.
- Collecting Neighbor Gifts - You will from time to time notice small items around the pens such as teddy bears, letters, keys, rattles, bottles, etc. Tap on these items to add bonus XP to your score. When someone visits your shop and plays with your animals they leave these toys or gift behind and each one is worth one XP. These items must be tapped on to collect the reward. Note the sparkling effect around the pen goes away once you collect the gift.
Purchasing Pets for your Shop/Market Tutorial
- Purchasing pets is critical to a successful game. You will start out placing a couple of pets in the tutorial and then you will be on your own to place more.
- Follow the quests for the best guidelines. You will be prompted to add particular animals, purchase mates for them and breed.
- Completing a Set - Once you have an animal pen purchased as well as a mate and have bred two babies and upgraded their home three times the pet will have met its maximum earning capacity.
- Market - The market is accessed by tapping on the market button at the lower right corner of the game screen.
- Once you open the market menu you will see several categories to choose from. Tap on “Decor”, “Pets”, “Displays”, “Expansions” and “Mystery Boxes”.
- Along the top you will see the animals broken into categories. Tap on the animal category you wish to purchase from.
- Note that animals will be available for purchase for either coins or gems. The animals you purchase for gems will have much higher payouts when you collect than those for coins. You will also need to purchase mates and breeding for these pets with gems as well.
- You will also see a table at the bottom that explains how much time will go by in between collections and how many XP and coins will be collected at each time interval.
- The time intervals can range from as little as five minutes to as long as several days.
- Playpens - Each pet you purchase will be placed in an area known as its “Playpen” which can be upgraded three times for a cost. You can only have one playpen for each breed of pet in your shop. When you place some playpens you will have to wait for a while for their construction to be completed. This will look like a construction site in that area with a bar over it that fills up over time. Once filled the construction is complete and the playpen will appear with the animal inside. Tap on the animal right away to see your next option which will be “Buy a Mate”, then “Breed” then upgrade.
- You can speed up the construction time of any playpen if you are willing to purchase it with gems. If you don’t want to do this you will have to wait and can tap on a construction site at any time to see how much time is left until its placement is finished.
- Decor and Displays - You can purchase decorative items and display items for your pet shop in the market as well. These are also purchased for coins or gems and they can be placed anywhere you want in the shop. They do not earn coins or profits once placed.
Placing and moving items in your shop
- You can rearrange your pet playpens and decor items at any time. You can even move construction sites while they are in the process of building.
- Tap on “Move” in the lower right corner and the screen will allow you to rearrange items.
- Tap on an item and a menu will appear. Tap on “Move” or “Rotate” and drag the item with your fingertip to its new location.
- When the bottom border is green you can place the item by tapping on “Accept” if the border is red you may not place it in that location. If you change your mind tap on “Cancel” and the item will move back to its original location and the action is cancelled.
- Once you are finished moving items around in your shop tap on the “Done” button at the bottom right corner of the screen to lock in and save the changes.
- After you place a playpen in your shop tap on it and you will see the option to purchase a mate.
- Tap on “Buy” when the option appears and a mate will immediately appear inside the playpen.
- You are now eligible to breed this species of animals in the nursery.
- The more of one type of animal you have in a breed family the more money that breed family will earn for you at intervals which can be reinvested in your shop.
- Once you have two of one type of animal in a playpen tapping on them will bring up the “Breed” option. Tap on this to bring up the breed option screen.
- Here you will see the animal and the cost to breed as well as the time the baby will be in the nursery. If it is a long time be sure to have push notifications set.
- Nursery - Inside the nursery which you can access by tapping on the “nursery” button at the bottom right of the game screen you will see an empty nursery bed.
- You must have an empty bed for each pet you wish to breed in the nursery.
- If a bed is occupied you have the option to purchase another for 149 gems which is very expensive so you may want to wait awhile. You will need to breed animals one at a time so be sure to breed those with very short breed times first.
- Once the baby is finished growing a push notification may be sent to you and a message will appear at the bottom right of the screen over the nursery button. It will say, “Your baby is ready” Tap on it and you will be taken to the nursery.
- Once in the nursery it will say your baby is ready to be placed. Simply tap on it and it will be placed in the playpen with its parents.
- Sick Babies - If you wait too long your baby will become sick and the only way to save it is to purchase its health with gems which is very expensive. If you can’t do this then you will have to choose to abandon the baby in which you lose it and you must start all over again. You will lose all money and time invested in a sick baby once you abandon it.
- Make sure you have push notifications turned on when you have a baby in the nursery so you don’t miss its placement time.
- An important part of the game is following goals as when you complete a goal you are rewarded with funds you can reinvest as well as XP to help you level up faster and you can also earn free animals on some goals.
- Tap on the notepad icon or any other icon that appears on the left side of the screen to access the goals menu.
- Tap on one of the listed goal titles to see the goals steps. There are usually two to three parts to a goal you must complete.
- Tapping on a goal will bring you to the specific requirements of a goal as shown in image above.
- Once you complete a goal a green check mark will appear next to it.
- Once you complete all steps to a goal you will be rewarded with coins, gems, decor, animals, or XP which is shown along the bottom of the goal screen.
- Next to each goal requirement there is a button that will take you to that particular menu. If you do not want to complete a goal task you can pay with gems to instantly complete it. If you do this you will instantly earn the prize for its completion.
- Once you complete a goal a screen will appear showing you the goals have been met along with announcing any rewards you have obtained.
- Each shop has a shop rating that is calculated in four areas with the maximum score for each area being five stars.
- Tap on the level indicator at the top left corner of the game screen.
- A menu will appear showing you how many stars you have earned in each of the four categories which include;
- Pet variety - The more pets you have the higher your rating.
- Nursery - The more babies you breed the higher this rating.
- Shop displays - The more store displays you have in your shop the higher your rating.
- Shop size - The more expansions you complete the higher the shop rating in this area.
- This will also tell you what you need to improve upon to earn a higher rating in a particular area.
- Be sure to refer to this area daily to make sure you have a good balance of items in your shop.
- The higher the rating the higher the rewards you will earn during your daily rewards bonus.
Daily Rewards Bonus
- Once every 24 hours when you log in you will earn a daily reward bonus.
- This amount varies in two ways. First it is based on your shop rating which can be seen at the top left corner of the game screen. The highest rating is a five star rating. Tap on the menu to see how to increase your rating if needed.
- The second way the amount varies is whether or not you log in daily to collect it. If you log in consecutively each day you will earn much larger bonuses than if you log in every few days.
- Try to set a reminder on your device that allows you to log in at the same time each day and collect your daily bonus if you may be too busy to remember.
- If you forget to log in then the process starts over at day one.
- Each day for five days you will earn a larger bonus than the day before as long as you don’t break the streak.
- Once you reach level six in the game you are eligible to begin using the cross breeding feature of the game.
- This is a fun feature where you can cross breed two animals to come up with a brand new breed.
- The breeder allows you to design these new breeds and there are several combinations you can come up with.
- When you purchase pets from the market look for the collar with the heart on it. If you see this icon next to an animal it means it can be taken to the designer to make a new breed with another animal.
- To Crossbreed - Tap on the “Breeder” icon at the bottom right of the game screen.
- Tap on the pillow to unlock it at first which may cost a few coins then tap on it again to use it.
- A screen will appear with empty slots on each side and in the center. The sides are the two animals you will crossbreed and the center is where the baby they produce will appear when finished.
- Choose a pet for each side by tapping on it when prompted.
- The list will show which pets are compatible based on your first choice. If you don’t have any available you can purchase one with gems or pick a different first pet until you find one that has partners available.
- Now you will have to wait for the new baby to develop which can take several hours.
- Once time is up a push notification should be sent to you if you have them set up. You must return to the game and tap on the designer breed button to move the baby to its new home. This time when the pet is placed in the shop it will be alone in a playpen as it is the first of that type of breed.
- Sick Babies - If you wait too long just as in the nursery to claim the baby and place it in the shop it will become sick and the only way to save it is to purchase its health with gems which is very expensive. If you cannot do this you will have to abandon the baby losing all the money and time invested in it.
Placing Pets requiring Pen Construction
- While in the market to place pets be aware of pets that have a hammer icon on the purchase menu.
- These pets when placed cannot be completed until you have a certain number of supplies to build their pens with.
- These items can only be obtained from neighbors that gift them to you daily.
- This is why it is critical that you take the time to recruit neighbors from your friends and community members daily.
- The more neighbors, the more free gifts and the faster you will be able to add these particular animals that earn a higher payout of profits when in your shop.
- You will see a special construction symbol around their playpens once completed showing there is more needed. Simply tap on the pen to bring up the menu which will show you what is needed. There is a button to ask friends directly from this menu.
- You can only ask once every 24 hours. Be sure to send out what you need so others will return the favor.
- Access your gifts in the storage area of the main menu if you need to see how many you have on hand before purchasing an animal that requires construction.
- Expanding your shop is very important so you can keep adding a variety of pets to it.
- At first you will be able to go to the expansion area and purchase the expansions for a few hundred coins.
- This will cause a section of the shop to show as under construction for a period of time and when finished you will have more area to place items in your shop.
- Once you are at your third or fourth expansion it becomes much more difficult to expand as in addition to paying for it you must have a certain number of permits before you can proceed.
- The only way to get these permits is to have your neighbors gift them to you.
- You can request them once in each 24 hour period.
- Be sure to request them from friends that play daily.
- Once you have all the permits you need you can purchase the expansion and wait for it to complete.
- Each expansion after will cost more and require more permits to complete so be sure to send these out as gifts daily so they are returned to you.
Pet Shop Story community
- The Pet Shop Story community is composed of all people that play the game even if they do not know each other.
- As you play the game you can tap on “Community” in the social menu and you will see a list of players that you can visit and even gift.
- When you visit these players you can earn a bonus for helping out in their shops by playing with their pets. You can do this by tapping on a pet. The number of times you can play won’t be as much as you would be allowed for visiting a neighbor so it is best if you can make these people your neighbors.
- To make a community member your neighbor this tap on the “Wall” button at the top of the screen while visiting their shop. Now type in a message to post to their wall telling them your Storm8 ID and asking them to add you. They can then send you an invitation to become an official neighbor and both of you can send daily gifts and help each other out for bonus coins and XP.
Social Rating (Hearts)
- While you visit a community member or a neighbor you will see a heart meter at the bottom of your screen which measures your social rating.
- Each time you help another player with their pets you will earn one heart which is a social rating point.
- Your rank goes up the more of these hearts you earn by helping as many people as possible.
- If your rank gets high enough your name will move to the top of the list when other players open up the community feature in the game.
- If your name is at the top of this list more people are going to visit your shop and send you neighbor invitations and soon you will have a large number of neighbors which makes playing the game so much easier as you will be sent daily gifts from a large number of people.
- Always devote a portion of time to adding neighbors each day for the best game experience.
How to invite new neighbors
- To invite others to become your neighbors you will need to learn their Storm8 IDs which is usually found on the walls of community members you visit and in places such as forums and facebook pages.
- Tap on the main menu then on “Social”
- At the top left tap on “Invite”
- In the empty search box along the top type in the storm8 ID of the person you wish to invite.
- Wait for the invitation to process and wait for the confirmation message.
- Once the other person accepts your invitation you are now neighbors and you can help a larger number of animals in their shop and you can earn a larger number of coins and XP per visit which helps you level up faster in the game.
Neighbor Visiting Bonus
- To visit community members or neighbors tap on the “Social” button on the main menu to access the social menu.
- Here you will see a list of either community members or neighbors depending on which you choose to access.
- Tap on “Visit” and you will be taken to their shop.
- Now you can tap on at least five pet displays in their shop. You will tap twice on the first one then once on the other four.
- After you tap on a playpen you will see hearts appear which increase your social ranking. You will also see a sparkling effect on the animals pen. This means the shop owner will earn a cash and an XP bonus when they collect the toys from that animal the next time they are in the game.
- No one else can tap on that animal to leave a gift until after the shop owner collects from it.
- If you try and tap on an animal that someone else has before the shop owner collects it will simply show you the name of the breed and you won’t be able to proceed. You will also see a sparkling effect on any playpen that has been tapped on by other players.
- There is a countdown meter at the top of every screen showing you how many times you have left to help a particular neighbor.
- The more neighbors you help the higher your social ranking and the more likely you are to have more neighbors in the game.
Collecting when Neighbors visit your Shop
- When you return to the game after being away for awhile you will see that your pets have a sparkling effect with tiny hearts raising up from them and you will also see
- This means a neighbor has visited your shop and helped with your pets and when you collect from them you will earn a bonus amount on top of your normal amount.
- Once you collect the sparkling will go away and it clears the animal so another visitor can tap on it again earning you more bonus money.
- XP Gift - If you see an icon next to the sparkling pen such as a purse, key, rattle, stuffed bear, etc. You have been left a gift. Tap on this to add 1 XP to your score.
- The more you log into your game and tap on your animals to clear them out the more money you will earn overall as you free it up for more people to visit and give you bonus money.
Sending and Receiving Free Gifts
- You can send and receive one free gift per neighbor once every 24 hours.
- You cannot send gifts to community members.
- Gifts are important and you will use them for animals that pens require construction and parts. You must collect these parts from your neighbors.
- Look for neighbors in the social menu and next to each is the option to send a gift.
- When you tap on the gift button you are taken to a menu where the parts needed to complete certain animal pens are available to gift to neighbors.
- Usually neighbors will send you the one you send to them so send out the ones you need first.
- You will need several of each type of gift to construct one pen so it is important you devote a little time each day to send out gifts to each neighbor so they will continue to come back to you.
- Receiving gifts - When you are given a gift a push notification will be sent to you if you have them enabled and a message is waiting for you in the social area.
- Here you can accept all gifts given to you.
- Once you accept a gift it is placed in storage until you are ready to use it.
- To access the collections menu tap on the main menu button and then on “Collections”
- Here you will be taken to the collections menu showing you which set of pets you must acquire in your shop to earn a free breed to place in your shop.
- Once you have three of a certain breed and within each breed you have two adults and two babies with a fully upgraded playpen you will complete a collection and earn another breed that is placed in your storage until you are ready to place in your shop.
- Once you do place that animal in your shop it will collect for you and you will be able to purchase a mate for it, breed it and upgrade its playpen to maximize profits.
- Refer to your collection menu frequently so you purchase the animals you need while you have the most funds to do so.
- There is a great snapshot feature in the game you can access from the main menu.
- Tap on the button and a frame will appear in your shop. Use your finger to center the image then tap on “Snapshot” to take the picture.
- You will now see the picture and if you like it you have the option to save it to your devices photo album or to post it on your Facebook profile page.
- There is no charge to take the snapshots and you can take them of your own shop or your neighbor or community member’s shop.
- You have completed the basic game play guide for Pet Shop Story. Be sure to check back often for game updates, Staff and user reviews, user tips, forum comments and much more here at Gamezebo!