Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse - Game Introduction
Welcome to the Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse walkthrough on Gamezebo. Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse is an adventure game played on the PC created by Her Interactive. This walkthrough includes tips and tricks, helpful hints, and a strategy guide for how to complete Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse.
- From the very start of the game, you can choose between two difficulties: Junior Detective and Senior Detective. The two modes are the same, with the exception that Senior has more difficult puzzles. The following guide below is tailored towards the Junior difficulty.
- There is no hint button in this game, and you cannot skip puzzles.
- At the bottom of the play screen, on the left, is the Cell Phone. You can use this to take pictures, discover more information, or call friends. It should be noted the reception isn't so great in this game though, so it's best to call back via the land-line. Calling certain people can give you valuable hints if you're stuck.
- Also on the bottom left of the play screen is the bag. Click on this to access your inventory items.
- At the bottom of the screen, you can also find the task list. This will help you figure out where you need to go and what you need to do next.
- On the right bottom of the screen you can access the load, save, and quit options for your game.
- Currency is kept track of via an icon at the upper left corner of the screen. There are often coins hidden in random places throughout the game, so keep an eye out for any shiny things! Coin locations are mentioned, but not shown in the guide below. You can also earn more money by interacting with characters and completing certain tasks.
- From game options, you can change volume control, as well as screen size.
- There are several secret challenges you can complete by the time you reach the end of the game. These secret rewards/achievements will add a star to your badge if completed. The guide below mentions these where applicable and the locations of the phone charms are shown below as well.
- Navigation is point-and-click, so make sure you move all around a room before dismissing an area as unreachable.
- Inventory items are written in CAPS.
- It should be noted that Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse is not a linear game. Therefore, tasks can be completed in many different ways and orders. The guide below outlines one of the more straight-forward approaches.
- There are times in the game where you will receive calls These are largely randomized according to your current game progress. If you're not receiving an expected call as outlined by the guide below, try checking your tasks list, talking to all the characters, and/or calling characters via the land-line.
Chapter 1: Welcome to the Castle Finster
- Click on the doorbell on the right. A boy named Lukas will answer, lowering a bucket and asking you to solve a puzzle before being allowed to enter the castle.
- Solve the matching puzzle Lukas gives you. Once you've picked the matching pair, click “check match”. The solution is shown below.
- A man named Karl will show up to let you in, then ask that you meet him in his office.
- Proceed forward through the courtyard and through the large double doors with “Burg Finster” written overhead.
- Once inside, proceed up the stairs to the right. Note there's a coin on the stair banister on your way up.
- Note: You can receive an award for collecting a certain number of coins.
- Once at the top of the stairs, proceed through the double doors on the right and into the next area. If you decide to explore the candles ahead, note a coin is hidden there.
- Upon entering through the doors, the phone will ring. Talk to Ned until the conversation ends.
- Going forward up the stairs, you'll find yourself standing on a wide landing (the floor is wooden). Proceed up the stairs on either side: ultimately they will meet at the same location-- a door with “Reserved for Nancy Drew” written on it. Click on the door and enter the room.
- Check the mantle of the fireplace on the left to read “Die Ungeheuerlichkeit Nacht Festival schedule”.
- Open the closet next to the mantle and you'll notice a shelf reserved for all gift shop purchases.
- Go to the other side of the room/bed and you'll notice a desk with a phone.
- If you take a closer look at the phone, you'll notice a post-it with names and numbers written on them. All you have to do to call someone is click on their name, and the phone will automatically dial for you.
- Around this time, you should get a call from Frank. Call him back on the land-line (on your desk) and talk to him, then afterward try and call Ned-- though, you'll just get his answering machine for now.
- Take a closer look at the side table to the right of the bed (when facing it from the doorway). Pick up the DICTIONARY to add it to your inventory.
- Exit Nancy's Room.
- From Nancy's Room, take the stairs to the left and follow them around until just before the final steps down to the wooden landing. Click on the Blue-White Phone Charm to collect it.
- Note: Collect all the hidden phone charms to receive a reward!
- From here, continue down the last few steps to the wooden landing, then follow the hallway (still on the wooden landing) on the inside of either set of stairs. Another way to recognize this area is by noticing the landscape paintings: go towards them and notice red carpet on the floor.
- Follow the red carpet around until you notice a door on the outer wall that says “Bürgermeister”. You'll notice a small alcove on the opposite side of the hall from the door: one to the left and one to the right. One has a puzzle box you cannot solve yet, and the other has a book about the history of Castle Finster. You may choose to read it if you wish.
- Enter the door with the “Bürgermeister” plaque.
- Talk to Karl until you've exhausted all your conversation options. After talking with him about his game, Raid, opt to play a round with him.
- It's best to choose the “easy” difficulty until you understand just how the game works. If you're lost, there's a manual in the lower right that explains the rules. The winner of the game is the one who reaches the castle in the middle of the board first. Regardless of whether you win or lose, Karl will pay you for helping him test the game.
- Note: You can receive an award for playing Raid often enough, and you can earn lots of extra money this way, too!
- Once you've finished playing Raid, talk to Karl about any other conversation options that pop up-- namely about Lukas.
- Now that you're done talking with Karl, you can explore the office. There's a cabinet to the left of Karl's Desk (when facing it), but it's locked. We'll come back to this later.
- On the table is the game Raid. You can play the game again from the board here.
- Toggle around the room: take note of the painting of the Sparrow on the wall-- it'll come in handy later.
- Notice the special display shelf on the right wall. At the bottom of the shelf is the Raid Game Guide, which you may choose to read. If you do, take note of the key symbol in the Sparrow's description.
- Take a closer look at the top shelf with the cards and scales, only to knock them all down. Place the cards back into their correct locations: the solution is shown below.
- Upon completing the puzzle, a piece of paper will fall from the scales. Click on the GERMAN NOTE to add it to your inventory. From here, you can use the DICTIONARY on the GERMAN NOTE to translate it-- it's a note from Markus to Karl.
- Talk to Karl again and he'll mention he needs help with a new card design for his game. Select any information you please regarding the new character.
- Once you've done this, exit Karl's Office.
- Go back out to the main Landing area, facing ahead towards the white marble floor down a few more steps. Proceed down to this area.
- Please note: this area with the white marble floor will be referred to as the Marble Landing, while the area with the wooden floor will be referred to as the Castle Landing, or just plain Landing.
- There's a sort of hallway to both the left and right, but for not, proceed forward to the plain wooden doors (directly below Nancy's Room) and enter.
- Proceed forward to take a closer look at the stained glass window. Click on the BLUE TILE to add it to your inventory.
- Back up and to the left, you may notice a hutch. Proceed toward it and examine the newspaper. Read the stories and take note of the vocabulary: Sun-Sonne, Comet-Komet, and Moon-Mond. There's also a coin sitting at the edge of the counter.
- Turn to the right and notice an elderly woman sitting in the corner. On your way over to her, you may notice a glint on the blue chair on the left. Click on it to collect a coin.
- Talk to the elderly woman: her name is Renate. Talk with her using all the various conversation options. Take note when she mentions her favorite food is Black Forest cake.
- Once you've finished talking with Renate, notice the bag at her feet. You won't be able to examine this right now though.
- For now, exit the Dining Room back to the Marble Landing.
- With your back to the Dining Room, take the room to the left. Once in the side room, proceed down the stairs and you'll find yourself in a hallway that splits a portion of the way through. The stairs leading down lead to the Glass Shop (which, after you take a closer look, is locked). Turn around after examining this door and take the other hallway, which leads to the Gift Shop.
- Talk to the woman at the store counter: her name is Anja. Talk with her until all your conversation options are exhausted and you've found out all the information you can for now.
- You may choose to explore the shop-- there are many items on sale. Click on an item to take a closer look at it, then click on it again with the “$” cursor icon to purchase it with the coins you can see in the upper left of your screen. If you don't want to purchase an item, simply back out of the screen.
- Note: You can receive an award for buying every souvenir in the shop. Also note-- souvenirs you've purchased will show up in the closet in Nancy's Room.
- On one of the walls are several cuckoo clocks, which you may choose to examine. You can also examine the Art of Glass book sitting on top of the glass case on the right. Inside the book is CODED MESSAGE #1, with a picture of a sun, moon, and comet. Click on it to add it to your inventory.
- You may continue to look around-- notice the stand with the postcards: this will come in handy later. Continue to explore (to the right of the postcards) until you find the snack server.
- Take a closer look at the snack server. Click on the picture of the Black Forest cake in the upper right corner to purchase it (remember-- it's Renate's favorite!). Click on the BLACK FOREST CAKE once it appears to add it to your inventory.
- There are more things you can explore in the gift shop, such as several books and their titles, but this is entirely optional.
- Talk with Anja again, this time about relationship issues and, more importantly, the glass-blowing done at the castle. Anja reveals that only she and Karl have the keys to the Glass Shop.
- Exit the Gift Shop via the glass doors to the left.
- We're back in the Foyer again! Look to the right upon exiting, or look around the room until you find Lukas staring right at you.
- Talk with Lukas, then agree to play Monster with him. Lukas will explain how it works. If you win the game, Lukas will reward you with Raid cards. You can choose to exit by selecting the arrow that pulls away from the game.
- Note: You can receive an award for amassing a full deck of Raid cards!
- Speak with Lukas again, who reveals more about the castle residents and secret passages. Once you're done talking with Lukas, examine the coffee table in the middle of the room (you'll have to maneuver around the couches towards the entrance doors).
- Examine and read the book on The Brothers Grimm if you choose, then click on the 3-pronged CONTROL KEY to add it to your inventory.
- There's also a coin you may notice sparkling in this area, so keep an eye out.
- In the corner of the room, on the far end from the gift shop is a Glockenspiel. You may choose to look at it if you wish, though there's not much to do here for now. There's a coin hidden in the left bell tower, and there's a cupboard beneath the Glockenspiel with musical chimes. But, they must be played in a certain order, and for now that order is unknown.
- At any point after exiting the Gift Shop, you may receive a call from Markus asking Nancy to call him back via the land-line Return to Nancy's Room (you can do this via the stairs, or via the doors on the other side of the room. The hallway leads up to the Marble Landing.) However, take the latter of those two options this time.
- Enter through the doors across from the stairs and follow the hallway. You may also get the call from Markus here, followed by a call from Ned.
- Follow the hallway up to a Marble side-Landing, then turn right to proceed up to the Marble Landing you're familiar with. Before climbing the stairs up to the Marble Landing, click on the Eagle Phone Charm.
- Proceed from here up to Nancy's Room.
- Go to the phone on your desk and call Markus back. Talk to him about the investors, Anja, etc. until you finish your conversation.
- Once you're done talking with Markus, call Ned back. Once you've talked with Ned, you may choose to call Frank back, or he may just call you himself.
Chapter 2: Monster Sighting
- After finishing up your phone conversations, a loud knocking can be heard at the door. Answer the door to see Karl, who tells you there's been a monster sighting in the Courtyard. You will automatically be taken there.
- A planter's on fire and a door has been torn up with what appears to be claw marks. Most importantly though, we have to put out the fire!
- Turn around and notice there's a well on the far left. Click for a closer view.
- Click on the BUCKET sitting at the edge of the well, then use it to retrieve water. Turn back to the fire and use the BUCKET WITH WATER to put it out.
- Once the fire's out, take a closer look at the torn up door on the left. Click on the BURR lodged in one of the grooves to add it to your inventory.
- From here, you may choose to examine all the doors in the lower Courtyard, but no one will open up for you. You may also choose to translate the signs with your DICTIONARY.
- From here you may also choose to turn back to the well. You can use the BUCKET to retrieve more coins and trinkets from Nancy's past adventures.
- Note: You can receive an award if you use the bucket on the well enough!
- Examine the well closer and look down inside: it's dark and will require exploring, but not right now.
- Turn around and look around the Courtyard until you notice the door just below street level, accessible by a handful of steps down. Walk up to the door, then turn around so you have a clear view of the steps.
- Click on the Musical Notes Quiz (this will NOT be added to your inventory, but you should take note anyway)-- this will help you play the Glockenspiel later. Seeing as it won't be added to your inventory, you can return to this location later if needed to review the notes.
- Go back up the steps to the main Courtyard area. In the buggy to the left of the Entrance Gate is a hidden coin. There's also hidden coins beneath the circular planter with the tree, and under the peddler's cart.
- To the left of the castle's main doors (to the Castle Foyer) is an exterior set of stairs. Climb the stairs and go forward until you reach a dead end with a door you can't open. Click on the DULL SHEARS to add them to your inventory.
- On the way back down the stairs, there's a coin on the window sill below.
- Go back inside the castle.
- Likely sometime while you were in the Courtyard, you'll get another call from Markus requesting you call him back on the land-line. Return to Nancy's Room.
- Upon entering, a bucket of water will fall on Nancy, ruining her clothes. Her suitcase just happens to be lost, too. Take a closer look at the bed (from the right side, near the desk) and notice a costume laid out. On it is a note for Nancy. Change into the costume (her wet clothes will be left on the bed) and then use the phone to call Markus.
- After you've talked with Markus on the phone, go back down to the Castle Foyer.
- Speak with Lukas about the costume and the bucket of water. Once you're done talking with him, enter the Gift Shop (to the right).
- Talk to Anja, speaking with her more about Markus and the costume. She notes it looks strangely familiar.
- Go to Karl's Office.
- Talk with Karl about the BURR, picking it back up to add to your inventory once he's looked at it. Talk with him and he'll eventually agree to let Nancy into the Glass Shop at her own risk. Nancy will acquire the KEY.
- Before leaving, finish off any new remaining conversation points.
- Go to the Dining Room.
- Talk with Renate, who displays distaste towards Nancy's clothes and asks her to change into something else immediately.
- Return to Nancy's Room.
- Look at the bed from the right again to find Nancy's clothes have been shredded to pieces. Looks like you won't be able to change out of the costume now.
- Go around the bed to the fireplace and notice the paper lying on the floor. Click on LEGEND CLUE PAGE 17 to add it to your inventory.
- Return to the Dining Room.
- Talk with Renate about your torn clothes, then talk to her about all the remaining dialogue options EXCEPT the food. Once you've finished all the other conversations, ask her if she's hungry and offer her the BLACK FOREST CAKE. She will fall asleep promptly after eating it.
- Note: You can get an award for feeding Renate lots of food!
- -IMPORTANT-: Save your game here. The next puzzle sequence is fairly difficult and will likely require you to restart a number of times.
- Take a closer look at Renate's bag, sitting on the ground to the left. Click on the main flap to open it, then look inside.
- Arrange the objects inside Renate's bag so that you can access the box at the bottom. Left click to pick up and move and object, and hold the right click to rotate an object. There are several ways to complete this puzzle. It's important to note: making any noise will result in Renate waking up and the game ending, at which point you'll be forced to reload (hence why saving). A possible solution to the puzzle is shown below.
- Upon completing the puzzle, you will be able to access the contents of her bag. First, click on the book The Owl. Open it to find the LEGEND CLUE PAGE 25.
- Once you've collected the clue, click on the box inside her bag for a closer look.
- The box is actually a puzzle. The goal is to arrange the various colors in the proper order to unlock it. The solution is randomized. Yellow dots mean a color is right but in the wrong location, and green means it's correct. Use these clues to discover what colors go where: you will have ten chances to guess the correct order. An example solution is shown below.
- Upon completing the puzzle, the box will open. Click on RENATE'S MAP/CASTLE PLANS to add it to your inventory. Note the map reveals the castle has a hidden dungeon.
- Exit the Dining Room to the Glass Shop (exit the Dining Room, take the left hall from the Marble Landing, and follow it all the way down). Use the KEY on the door and enter the Glass Shop.
- Go straight ahead and examine the oven (it looks like a cabinet) and open it. Click on the GREEN GLASS TILE to add it to your inventory.
- Turn left and you'll see a workbench. Click on the SMALL SHOVEL, the PRYBAR, and the TONGS to add them to your inventory.
- Turn back towards the door and take a closer look at the buckets to the right. There's a coin lying on the floor to the right of the buckets. Click on the top middle bucket for a closer view and open it to reveal the Necklace Phone Charm.
- You may open the top right bucket if you want, but inside is a gag from Lukas.
- Take a closer look at the (blue) machine to the left of the door (while facing it, same screen as seeing the buckets).
- There's a coin in the trash can on the left. Notice the machine is unplugged-- plug the chord into the socket on the right, then take a closer look at the machine. Press the red button to start it, then use the DULL SHEARS on the rotating wheel to sharpen them and obtain the SHARP SHEARS. Press the red button again to stop the sander.
- Take a closer look at the furnace (the large contraption on the right when entering the Glass Shop). BEFORE opening the furnace, click on the sliding shield door on the left to slide it in front of the left side of the furnace, then click on the right door to open it.
- Use the TONGS on the red lever inside the furnace, then a secret passageway will open up to the left of the oven.
- Enter through the passageway that appears and proceed inside.
Chapter 3: Dungeon,Woods, and Catacombs
- On the stairs down, click on the Game Card Phone Charm to collect it, then proceed down the stairs.
- Continue forward and pick up the LEGEND CLUE PAGE 19 underneath the door of the first cell to add it to your inventory.
- Continue around the corner and notice the relief on the far wall. It appears something circular could fit inside it. Turn around and notice a trap door on the floor beneath the relief.
- Check the cells before leaving, then proceed back to the Glass Shop.
- From here, go back outside to the Courtyard.
- From here, we can access the Woods. Proceed through the Entrance Gate (Note: DON'T pull the lever for the portcullis or it will result in a game-over.)
- Once past the Entrance Gate, you'll be standing at one end of a stone bridge. If you try to go forward, Nancy will say she shouldn't leave yet. Instead, go to the left and then proceed forward into the Woods.
- Note: You can receive an award for going into the Woods often.
- You should notice, by examining the bottom of the screen, that there's arrange pebbles on the ground here. Take note: this will help you locate the exit later. There's also a large boulder here behind on the tree on the right.
- Continue forward, then forward again: the path splits here. Take the path to the right.
- You should see a small boulder on the right now. Go forward (curved). Notice the large tree on the right.
- Go forward, then turn right towards the tree. Pick up the coins at the base if you'd like.
- Turn right to face back towards the way you came.
- From here, go right, then then forward (you should notice a pinkish thorny bush on the left). Take a closer look at the bush: it has the same kind of burrs as the one you found.
- Use the SHARP SHEARS on the bush to cut it back, revealing a campsite.
- Pick up the FLASHLIGHT and the HEXAGON W/ETCHES on the ground to add them to your inventory.
- Now turn around. There's a coin beneath the fern straight ahead.
- From here: go left, right, forward, and forward. Pick up the Cow Phone Charm.
- Go forward, then forward again. Pick up the coin under the fern on the left if you'd like.
- Proceed forward (curved). From here, the path goes forward and to the left. Take the left fork.
- You should now be back at the path with the arranged pebbles on the ground and the boulder. Proceed forward and back to the castle.
- Enter the Courtyard and examine the well again. Use the FLASHLIGHT on the hanging hook to lower it into the well. There appear to be more hexagons down inside-- enter the well.
- The HEXAGON W/ETCHES you found will automatically be added to the ones on the wall and trigger a puzzle.
- Rotate the hexagons using the right click (and switching with the left as necessary) until all the edges touching each other match. The top left hexagon will remain stationary for your reference. The solution is shown below.
- Upon completing the puzzle, a secret passage will open. Nancy will add the HEXAGON W/ETCHES back to her inventory.
- Enter the secret passage to the Catacombs.
- Proceed forward until you reach an intersection where you see boards lying on the floor. Turn left here and take a closer look at the two issues of the Castle Cryer, revealing dark stories about Karl and the castle. Take note of the vocabulary in these: Mouse-Maus and Bat-Fledermaus, as well as Knight-Ritter, Dragon-Drache, Unicorn-Einhorn, and Castle-Burg.
- There is a coin hidden by the stacked newspaper towards the back.
- Turn around and proceed forward until you encounter the hanging animal skull.
- From the animal skull, turn left and go forward until you see three large stones and three small stones in a corner. Pick up the LEGEND CLUE PAGE 11 lying on top of one of the large stones to add it to your inventory. The clue mentions a boulder in the woods standing guard over a certain secret.
- Continue forward until you notice a box on the wall (silver, and probably to your right). It requires two keys to open.
- Continue forward until you see a shield in a corner. You may recognize it from one of the other legend clue pages from your inventory.
- From the shield, go forward twice, then turn left. You will see an exit, but don't leave the catacombs just yet-- there's more to find! This particular exit leads back to the Dungeon, and from the Dungeon there's no way to get back into the Catacombs (just yet).
- Now, turn around and proceed left. Go forward and you'll see five large stones on the left and a dead end ahead. While in front of the stones, take the path that leads to the right.
- Go forward, then left, and you'll encounter another dead end. This particular one has more wooden boards lying on the floor. There's a coin hidden on the far right.
- Turn around and return to the path, proceeding left. You'll see large stones ahead and further down the path to the right.
- Continue to the middle of this passage, then notice the red box hanging on the wall (probably to your left). Click on the CODED MESSAGE #2 (it has a picture of a bat, castle, and knight on it) to add it to your inventory.
- Turn left to go back to the hallway, then continue forward until you see the stones in the corner again. Continue right and you should notice some chains hanging from the wall.
- Continue left when you're standing next to the chains and notice a tree at the end of the new passage. Go left from the tree and there's another dead end with a hidden coin.
- Turn around, then proceed forward until you encounter a white door. Open it and walk into the Woods.
- Time to look for the boulder from the clue. Go left, right, right, and then notice the campsite in front of you. Go to the campsite and Nancy will recognize the boulder. Look at the base of the large boulder, then use the SMALL SHOVEL to uncover the NECKLACE.
- Once you've collected the NECKLACE, turn around and go back to the white door (left, left, left, forward).
- Enter the door back to the Catacombs.
- Enter the Catacombs and return to the area with the tree on the wall. From there, go left to see the chains, then go to the chains and turn left. Continue forward until you see the red box on the wall again, then go left (across from the red box).
- Continue forward until you see the Monster Phone Charm hanging on the wall. Don't forget to collect it!
- Continue forward past the stone pile until you see a large lone stone in a sort of alcove. Take a closer look at the stone and pick up the SECRET PASSAGE MAP.
- From here, turn left and continue forward until you see the stairs (there's a red arrow on the right wall). Climb the stairs and open the door to find yourself back in Nancy's Room.
Chapter 4: Castle Security
- Now we know how the monster got into Nancy's Room. From here though, go back towards Karl's Office and check the alcoves in front of it until you find the one with the puzzle box.
- Take a closer look at the box. The two GLASS TILES you found earlier can now be used to help complete the puzzle.
- Place the glass tiles in their correct locations according to the reference picture in the upper right corner. Left click to move tiles and right click to rotate them-- it's important you make sure they're placed in the right locations and in the right order! The solution is shown below.
- Upon completing the puzzle, the box will open. Click on ROTOR #1 to add it to your inventory.
- Return to the Dining Room.
- Talk to Renate, telling her about the necklace and until all your conversation options are exhausted.
- Return to Karl.
- Talk with Karl until all the new conversation options are explored. Once you're done talking with Karl, return to the Castle Foyer.
- Talk with Lukas: he'll want Nancy to distract Karl. Talk with him again, then enter the Gift Shop.
- Talk with Anja until you've explored all conversation paths. She mentions she thinks the necklace you found might be the original.
- Return to the Glass Shop.
- Open the secret passage again by taking a closer look at the furnace, sliding the protective shield door in front, then opening it and using the TONGS to flip the lever, then close the furnace. Enter the secret passageway.
- Continue to the relief on the back wall. Place the NECKLACE into the relief, then rotate it clockwise to discover it triggers the trap door. Turn back to the relief (don't walk forward or you'll fall into the trap) and rotate it counter-clockwise to open a new secret passage.
- For now, exit the Dungeon and go to Karl's Office.
- Talk with Karl and tell him about Lukas' prank, asking him to stay in his office.
- Return to Lukas.
- Talk with Lukas again, informing him that Karl is distracted. Once Lukas leaves, pick up the paper he left behind for a closer look.
- Click on the coded area of the paper for a closer view, and to trigger a puzzle. Switch letters from the same vertical column to form words-- once a word is correct, it will lock in place. The solution is shown below.
- Once you've completed the clue, visit the locations it mentions to verify the code letters. They are as follows:
*--Upstairs Portrait of Else-- Go up the left set of stairs leading to Nancy's Room and examine the painting (use the DICTIONARY on the plaque to translate it). Note the letter “G” in the painting.
*--Florist Letter-- Go outside to the Courtyard and examine the door of the Florist (use the DICTIONARY for translating the signs as needed). Note the letter “D”.
*--Hallway Bookstand-- Enter the hallway leading to Karl's Office and examine the alcoves until you find the one with the book. Note the letter “B”.
*--Castle Gate's Bell-- Return to the Courtyard and exit the castle gate, then turn around and look at the doorbell on the right. Note the letter “G”.
*--Furnace-- Return to the Glass Shop and open the furnace as per usual and look immediately above the lever. Note the letter “A”.
- The code letters are: GDBGA. These will be translated to notes for the Glockenspiel. Return to the Courtyard to examine the music quiz sheet if necessary.
- Return to the Castle Foyer and examine the Glockenspiel in the corner. Open the cabinet beneath it.
- Play the correct chimes in the correct order. The solution is shown below.
- Upon completing the musical chime correctly, the Glockenspiel will play and a secret switch will appear on the left wall (right if you've got your back to the Glockenspiel).
- Examine and press the button to open a secret door into the Security Room.
- There's a hidden coin near the pipes on the right. Otherwise, sit in the chair.
- Notice Lukas' picture on the control board and a hidden coin on the far right.
- Take a closer look at the red phone on the left. Use the DICTIONARY to translate the note on the phone and discover it activates the ability for cell phones to receive security alerts. Click on the holder to automatically place Nancy's phone inside, then click on it again once it's finished activating.
- Take a closer look at the metal cover in the center of the console. Pick up the Bird Phone Charm and use the 3-pronged CONTROL KEY from your inventory on the On-Off grid. Switch it On.
- Take a closer look at the metal cover and open it, revealing a puzzle.
- Click on the correct numbers in the correct order so that all buttons turn green after five turns. The order is as follows: 10, 8, 2, 7, 6. There's a reset button at the bottom left if needed.
- Now the security cameras have been activated. You can click on the various buttons beneath them to change which camera you're observing. Notice the security camera for the Gift Shop: Renate's doing something with the third cuckoo clock from the left.
- Exit the Security Room and enter the Gift Shop.
- Check the cuckoo clock Renate was fiddling with, but nothing obvious presents itself. Pick up the blue CUTOUT beneath the clock to add it to your inventory.
- Exit the Gift Shop and proceed to the hallway containing Karl's Office.
- There's a chance you'll get a monster alert around this time. However, complete the following first.
- Go to the alcove containing the bookstand and examine the book on the History of Castle Finster. Read the book and use the CUTOUT on the pages to reveal a hidden message: “Third clock from left. Nineteen twenty one.” (NOTE! It's possible you may get the monster alert while you're discovering this clue. If this happens, the game will not count it! In such a case, try the sequence of using the cutout and discovering the clue again. If it doesn't immediately work, try revisiting this area and trying again after the monster sequence).
- Go to the Dining Room.
- Talk with Renate until you've exhausted all possible conversations.
- By now, the monster will have been sighted. Return to the Security Room.
- Examine the camera monitors and notice the monster is in the Courtyard. Exit the Security Room and quickly make your way to the Courtyard.
- Nancy will spot the monster and follow it through the entrance gate, only to find herself trapped. Proceed forward (towards the Woods) and the monster will pop out, frightening Nancy, before wandering away.
- Once this has happened, turn left and notice a panel on the wall. Click the loose brick above the panel to remove it and reveal the PANEL KEY.
- Use the PANEL KEY on the padlock on the panel to remove it, then click on the panel to open it and reveal a puzzle.
- Slide the colored bars into their correct slots to release the gate mechanism. The solutions are shown and outlined below:
-1)Move bar #1 up, bars #2 and #3 left, bar #4 up, and bar #5 all the way to the right.
-2)Move bar #5 up, bar #9 (green) right a single space, bar #1 down, bar #2 left, bar #5 up, bar #6 left, bar #5 down, bar #3 down, bar #4 left, bar #3 up, bar #7 up, bar #8 up, bar #9 all the way to the right.
-3)Move bar #6 up, bar #9 right, bar #1 down, bar #2 left, bar #5 up, bar #7 left, bar #6 down, bar #3 down, bar #4 left, bar #8 up, and bar #9 all the way to the right.
- The gate is open again. Click on the piece of cloth hanging from the portcullis for a clue.
- Return to the Castle Foyer.
- Go back to the corner with the Glockenspiel and notice the stilts lying on the floor.
- Talk to Lukas until you've explored all conversation options.
- Return to the Security Room.
- Sit down and look at the camera screens.
- Note: You can get a reward for looking at the security monitors a lot!
- Notice Karl is still playing with his “avatars” in his office.
- Take a closer look at the red phone on the left. Click on the “Karl” button to call him away from his desk (as seen on the monitor).
- Go to Karl's Office.
- You'll have to be quick-- Karl could be back soon!
- Remember the painting of the Sparrow on the left wall? Take a closer look again, this time click on the painting to turn it over and collect the ANTIQUE KEY.
- Now, go to Karl's desk (facing the desk, and around to the left). Use the ANTIQUE KEY on the locked top drawer to open it.
- Check the day-planner: it has a combination lock.
- Read the letter lying underneath the day-planner. The letter is unsent, though addressed to a former guest.
- Click on the pen set at the bottom (front) of the drawer to remove it and reveal the DRAWER KEY sitting above a note with “Anja” written on it.
- Go back. There's a hidden coin underneath the monitor on the left.
- Before leaving, it's optional to look at and translate the calendar and the festival-planning leaflet.
- Exit back to the Security Room.
- Sit back down and look at the monitors. Take a closer look at the red phone on the left. Press the “Anja” button and then watch the Gift Shop monitor to make sure Anja's gone.
- Note: If you press the alarm buttons enough, you'll receive a reward.
- Once Anja's gone, exit to the Gift Shop.
- Go behind the counter (face the bookcase and click the curved arrow towards it). Use the DRAWER KEY on the drawer to unlock and open it.
- Click on and read the e-mails sent by Markus to the castle workers. Click on the CLOCK-WINDING KEY to add it to your inventory.
- Take a closer look at the third cuckoo clock from the left hanging on the wall (make sure Anja hasn't come back yet before attempting this). Use the CLOCK-WINDING KEY on the clock, then rotate the hands until they show the time “7:21” (Nineteen twenty one clue from earlier). Once done successfully, a secret compartment will open, revealing ROTOR #2.
- (Note! If you were interrupted by the monster alert while discovering the time clue earlier, even if you rotate the hands correctly the compartment will NOT open. If this is happening to you, return to the history book in the hallway outside Karl's office, use the CUTOUT again and re-trigger the clue. Repeat the sequence with Anja and the clock-winding again and this time it should work.)
- Return to the Security Room.
- Sit down at the console, then take a closer look at the panel on the right. A note above the panel tells you how the Enigma works. Click on the red lever on the right to open the panel, then click on the top left part to open it. Use ROTOR #1 and ROTOR #2 from your inventory on the missing slots. Click the red lever again to trigger a puzzle.
- Remember that German vocabulary from earlier? This is where it comes into play. Notice the symbols in the top right corner: Sun, Moon, and Comet. The German words for these are Sonne, Mond, and Komet. Rotate the rotor dials so their initials are “S, M, K”.
- Use the keys (or your own keyboard) to type the letters shown on the note. The real message will be revealed once you've completed typing, and will read “Karl's Day-planner-- Eight, Two, Six, One.” Click on the tape to collect it.
- Now notice the symbols in the top right corner: Bat, Castle, and Knight. The German words for these are Fledermaus, Burg, and Ritter. Rotate the rotor dials so their initials are “F, B, R”.
- Use the keys (or your own keyboard) to type the letters shown on the note. The real message will be revealed once you've completed typing, and will read “The Freiherr's daughter is step one.” Click on the tape to collect it.
Chapter 5: The Real Monster
- Exit the security room and return to the Castle Landing.
- Examine the portrait of Else (the Freiherr's daughter) on the way to/from Nancy's Room. (You should remember it from earlier). Translate the plaque and notice the necklace in the painting-- Nancy should note perhaps not everything has been restored as was in the original.
- Go to the Gift Shop.
- Look at the postcards (located to the left of the snack machine). Purchase the postcard of the painting.
- Once purchased, look at the postcard and remove the sticker in the lower right corner. “EN” is written.
- Speak with Anja until there are no more new conversations.
- Return to the Security Room.
- Sit down, then take a closer look at the red phone on the left. Press the “Karl” button and check the monitors to make sure he's no longer in his office.
- Go to Karl's Office.
- Once again, you'll have to be quick. Go around Karl's desk and use the ANTIQUE KEY on the drawer to open it, then click on the day-planner.
- Enter the code 8-2-6-1 to unlock the planner.
- Look inside the planner, reading all the pages and translating with the DICTIONARY where necessary. Note the character names, their numbers, and what color they're written in.
- Exit the planner and desk and go to the wall with the Raid cards on the scales from earlier.
- Click on the Raid Game Guide Book and read through it. Remember the colors in which the character names were written, and take the number from those colored circles, for example:
- “Sea hare”-- located on the Bonaparte card, blue=5
- “Rumpelstiltskin”-- located on the Goldthumb card, yellow=13
- “Gold children”-- located on the Golden Hunter card, red=15
- “Lil Snow White”-- located on the Enchanted Mirror card, blue=11
- “Donkey”-- located on the Donkey King card, green=9
(Note: You must read/flip the pages of the entire guide for the next part to work!)
- Now that you've noted those numbers, go to the cabinet left of the desk. Click on the decorative wood on the upper right to reveal a secret keypad.
- Input the code correctly: 5 (enter), 13 (enter), 15 (enter), 11 (enter), 9 (enter). All the red lights should now be green and the cabinet unlocked.
- Check the employee files inside the cabinet and read Anja's resume. Nancy will note the phone number for Castle Cast.
- Return to Nancy's Room.
- Go to the phone on the desk and call Castle Cast (the number will automatically be added to the note). They won't give you any information about Anja without permission.
- Call Markus and talk to him about all conversation pieces you can, namely the e-mails and Castle Cast.
- Immediately after getting off the phone with Markus, call Castle Cast again. This time they'll tell you all about Anja.
- Once done on the phone, return to the Gift Shop.
- Talk with Anja and talk with her about Castle Cast. Once done, exit the Gift Shop back to the Security Room.
- Sit in the chair and watch the Gift Shop monitor until you notice Anja either leaves or is already gone. Watch the monitors and see she's gone into the Woods.
- Exit the Security Room and go to the Courtyard.
- It's likely at this time that you'll get another monster alert. Forget about Anja and go back to the Security Room.
- Check the monitors: the monster is in the Glass Shop.
- Exit to the Security Room and go straight to the Glass Shop (via the Gift Shop).
- By the time you get here, the monster is already gone. Go to the end of the room, then turn around to see the toppled buckets of sand. Follow the footprints out of the Glass Shop and up the stairs, where you'll see the monster.
- Go up the stairs to confront the monster: it turns out it's really just Lukas. While talking with him, the two of you will notice the real monster walking past the windows outside.
- Go to Karl's Office.
- Talk with Karl and tell him about Lukas and the monster (and talk to him about the new conversation pieces as well). You're going to need proof regarding the second monster.
- Take out RENATE'S MAP/CASTLE PLANS from your inventory to see where monster sightings have been. Once you've done this and have taken note, return to the Glass Shop.
- Open the secret door via the furnace again and proceed down into the Dungeon.
- There's no monster here. Go to the relief on the back wall and use the NECKLACE on it, then turn it counter-clockwise to open the secret passage to the Catacombs.
- Enter the Catacombs.
- Enter the passage, then go forward, right, and notice the shield ahead of you. Go forward until you reach the shield, then continue forward until you see the silver metal box from earlier (the one that needed two keys).
- Take a closer look at the box. Use the ANTIQUE KEY on the left keyhole and the DRAWER KEY on the right to open the panel. Click on the OVER EASY EGG to collect it.
- Return to the shield marker (via turning around and going forward), then go forward until you see a stone pile on the left. Go forward and then right, across from the stone pile.
- Go forward, then turn left into the dead end with the boards on the floor. Click on the SCARF to add it to your inventory.
- Once you've collected the scarf, turn around and then turn left to return to the hallway. Go forward until you see the chains on the wall. Take the path across from the chains (left) to get to the wall with the tree.
- At the tree, turn left and examine the barrel. Use the PRYBAR to open it and find a stock of the same type of cloth the monster wears.
- Turn around, then proceed forward until you reach the white door. Exit outside to the Woods.
- From here go: left, right, left, right, forward, forward (curved), and forward again. Turn left towards the large tree and click on the left portion of the tree roots to hide behind it.
- Click on CODED MESSAGE #3 to add it to your inventory, then notice the monster walking back and forth ahead.
- Take out your phone and use it to take a picture of the monster. Make sure the monster is centered and zoomed if possible. You can take as many or as few pictures as you like.
- Once you've taken a good picture of the monster, return to the castle Security Room (after exiting hiding place-- right, forward, forward [curved], left, forward, forward as needed).
- Sit down and take a closer look at the decoder on the right again. Click the red lever to open the panel. This time the new coded message is at the top right.
- Notice the pictures: Mouse, Dragon, and Unicorn. Recall the German vocabulary for these words: Maus, Drache, and Einhorn. Rotate the rotors so they read “M, D, E”.
- Use the keys (or your own keyboard) to type the coded message in the upper corner. Upon completing it, the true message will be revealed: “Legend ending: Find young woman to cast as the victim.” Click on the tape to add it to your inventory.
- Return to the Dining Room.
- Talk to Renate and give her the SCARF. Listen to all she has to say.
- Once done talking with Renate, return to Karl's Office.
- Talk with Karl regarding what you found out about Anja, and show him the picture you took of the monster.
- Take the CELL PHONE back when he's done looking at it.
- At this point, if you finished helping Karl design his new card/character, he'll also give you the NEW CARD.
- Leave the office. At this point, if you talked with all the characters completely (namely Lukas), Karl will give you an urgent call. If you don't get a call, finish the dialogues with all the characters to trigger it.
- After getting the call, go right back to Karl's Office and talk with him: Lukas is missing.
- Return to the Castle Foyer.
- Go to the area where Lukas can usually be found. Judging by the marks on the floor, Nancy notes he was dragged off. Follow the tracks to the Gift Shop.
- Talk with Anja about Lukas missing, then proceed through the gift shop to the Glass Shop.
- Go forward towards the oven (the one that looks like a cabinet) and notice the game piece lying on the floor on the left-- it belongs to Lukas.
- Open the entrance to the Dungeon via the furnace as per usual and proceed inside.
- Look for Lukas inside the cells: he's in the last cell to the left of the wall relief.
- Examine the lock of the cell to trigger a puzzle.
- Click on the clasp on the left to release the bar for the lock. The bar will move to the right. The goal is to move the various pegs out of the way by clicking the buttons at the bottom of the screen so that the bar doesn't hit any of the pegs and makes it safely over to the other side. Follow the screenshot below for the solution, clicking the numbered buttons when the bar reached the numbered area shown. The solution is shown below.
- Upon completing the puzzle, Lukas will be freed. On the way out however, the two will become separated and Lukas must go for help.
- Go back to the other end of the Dungeon, towards the wall relief. Nancy will be knocked unconscious.
- When Nancy comes-to, she'll she's fallen through the trap door. Go forward and check the wall on the right to see a brick door with several images on it.
- The clue to solving this puzzle is hidden in the Legend pages- look at them in order to discover the correct images, then click on the corresponding images on the stones in the correct order. The solution is shown below.
- Upon completing the puzzle, the secret door will open, revealing yet another puzzle.
- Place the letters into the correct slots to spell the word entkommen (escape). Placing a letter will cause it to slide over into the next position. Place the letters in the locations specified in the screenshot below (letter meaning what letter to use, number being when in the sequence to put it there). The solution is shown below.
- The door is now open. Go through it to find yourself in the Catacombs.
- Proceed forward until you see the shield. Take a right midway down the hallway going towards the shield to find the exit to the Catacombs.
- While facing the steps leading up, notice a bag in the lower right corner of the screen. Click to open it.
- Examine the spare costume parts belonging to the “monster”, then click on the book to move it and reveal a forged e-mail. Read it.
- Go up the stairs to exit into the Dungeon.
- Make sure you save here, just in case!
- The monster shows up. Say the name of the person you think is inside the suit. If you get this part wrong, the game will end and you'll have to try again.
- (***Spoiler*** The correct answer is Anja.)
- Listen to what the “monster” has to say, then when the moment comes, turn towards the relief on the wall. Place the NECKLACE inside and rotate it clockwise to imprison them in the trap. Now sit back and enjoy the ending!
Congratulations! You've completed Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse!