Dec 2, 2012
User review by hilofoz
I have now played through the complete CE of Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake. Looking back on it, I feel I can only give it four stars, not the usual five for MCF, but I would really have given it 31/2 stars. It just does not have the length nor the depth of the other MCF games.
Firstly, on the positive side, I found the live acting very good, and the Ghostbuster couple really funny. I do not find live acting a problem. However I did see a problem with the voice synch. at certain stages.
The theme and story were good, I liked the idea of matching drawings to the locations. I also enjoyed splitting the HOG scenes into different areas, and the fact that these were not over cluttered and full of irrelevant junk. I also enjoyed the few puzzles that were in the game, and especially enjoyed the seance movies. A very novel element, and have never seen this in any other games previously.
The artwork was brilliant as usual, and the sound effects evocative, without being too obvious.
My criticisms are these:
1. Generally very short, I think about three to four hours play in the main game.
2. A little repetitive in things to do.
3. Not enough puzzles. The puzzles in the game were sometimes confusing in what one had to do to solve them, especially towards the end.
4. Too much backtracking. (Forgetting the ladder was annoying)
5. No real extra game play in the CE edition, just a simple task, after finding the object to initiate this.
6. Some HOs small and hard to see against a very dark background.
7. The game lacked a real sense of moving through spaces and places unlike the others in this series.
The MCF team may have had to pay a premium price for professional actors at the expense of taking the time to develop more areas.