Game Introduction - Clash of Clans
Clash of Clans is a free to play city building game created by Supercell. It is your task to guide the development of a viking encampment into a thriving city state, battling goblin hordes and eventually other players as well. Gamezebo’s quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- After downloading the game, launching it will send you straight to your starter village.
- A short tutorial will begin. Be sure to follow the directions carefully, as they introduce the Clash of Clan’s mechanics.
- Resources - The first thing you need to do is familiarize yourself with the Clash of Clan’s resources. These resources allow you to perform the basic functions of the game. They are pictured below.
- The yellow bar at the upper right corner is your gold. Gold is used to construct buildings, defensive structures, and to upgrade buildings.
- The purple bar below the gold is your elixir meter. Elixir is used to construct buildings, create military units, and upgrade buildings.
- The green bar below the elixir meter notes the number of gems in your possession. Gems are the most important resource in the game and are the currency that can be purchased for real live cash. Gems can be used to hurry construction or traded directly for gold and elixir. Be sure to conserve them as much as possible -- unless you have deep pockets. If you do not have gems to hurry construction, you must wait long periods of time until you can make another move.
- The Builder meter at the top middle of the screen shows how many builders you have, and how many are free to build. Each builder can work on only one project at a time. Builder’s huts can only be built by using gems.
- The shield meter shows you how much time you have until your city becomes vulnerable to attack by hostile players in multiplayer. Shield can be purchased using gems, and is automatically replenished after an enemy player attacks your village.
- The bar on the top left of the screen indicates your current level. The more you build and fight, the higher your level becomes. You are matched against others of a similar level in multiplayer.
- The trophy counter below your level indicates how many trophies you have collected during multiplayer matches.
- The arrow in the screenshot below indicates the achievements menu. When you tap this icon, a list of possible achievements will be listed. By earning achievements, you also earn gems.
- Building Structures - As mentioned above, builders allow you to construct buildings. This is the most important function of the game. By tapping the shop icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen, you will open the shop menu. It is pictured below.
- Resource Collectors - Elixir is gained by building elixir collectors. Gold is gained by building gold mines. Both structures produce their respective resource periodically and must be tapped to collect.
- Resource Storage - The resources accumulated by resource collectors must be stored. If you do not build gold storage and elixir storage buildings, you will not be able to save up enough to build pricier structures.
- Army Structures - The barracks allows you to build military units. The army camp serves as a staging area for the troops you recruit. The laboratory allows you to research.
- Defensive Structures - Defensive structures are used to prepare your village for enemy attacks in multiplayer. Building cannons, archery towers, walls and other defenses is the key to defending against an enemy attack. Like in tower defense games, be sure to place defensive structures in a way to maximize their effectiveness. Below is a screenshot of the defensive structures menu.
- Obstacles - The space available to build in your village is restricted by obstacles strewn around the map. These obstacles -- trees, rocks, ruins, etc -- can be removed by tapping on them and spending the requisite amount of elixir or gold. This will allow you to expand your village.
- Upgrading - By tapping on an existing building you will have the option to upgrade them in exchange for elixir or gold. Be sure to do this. Structures are not very effective at low levels.
- Attacking - By tapping the attack icon on the lower left hand corner of the screen, it will bring up the menu you see below.
- Single Player - The map on the left is for Clash of Clans’ single player mode. Each node on the map is another goblin village for you to destroy. The troops you build at the barracks can then be deployed against these goblins. Destroying a goblin village grants you gold and elixir. Single player battles do not remove your village’s shield. Below is an image that shows what it looks like when you attack.
- The slots on the bottom of the screen show the units you can deploy. Tapping the unit icon and then tapping a location on the screen will spawn said unit, so long as it is outside of the red area that denotes enemy territory. After units are spawned, they fight without direction.
- Multiplayer - By finding a multiplayer match, you and your army will be matched up against an enemy village of equal level. Destroying these villages allows grants booty, just like single player. Be careful though, once you decide to attack, your village becomes vulnerable to attack too.
- Build smart - When you build your village, make sure all your structures are close together. If your village is compact, that means your turrets will be able to defend more buildings at once.
- Defend yourself - Keep a standing army at your village at all times to help with defense.
- Experiment - Don’t be afraid to rearrange your village. After you build a building, you can move it around the map without penalty.
You have completed Gamezebo’s quick start guide for Clash of Clans! Be sure to check back often for game updates, staff and user reviews, user tips, forums comments and much more here at Gamezebo!