Combat Squad is a shooter with a bit of a twist. You can bounce between different members of your squad using magic sci-fi chips they’ve had embedded in their brains. It makes for some pretty interesting interplay, and means the game stands out a little from the rest of the herd.
At its core, though, the game is about shooting people in the face. And the multiplayer modes are where most of that happens, which means you’re going to want to be firing on all cylinders when it’s time to take on other people.
That’s what this guide is for. We’re going to walk you through the basics of the game and make sure you know exactly how to take tactical advantage of all the situations that the game throws you into.
- Don’t stop moving — Like most shooters, the key to winning in Combat Squad is making sure you kill the other players before they kill you. And the best way to do that is to never stand still. Keep on the move, dart into cover and take your shots when the enemy isn’t expecting it.
- Stick together — As you might be able to tell from the name, Combat Squad is mostly a team game. Sticking together with the other people on your side is key to success. Two guns are going to take down a foe much quicker than one, after all.
- Just pick one — It’s tempting to try and kit out all of your team, but focusing on just one of the squad is a much better idea. Pick this player every time you jump into multiplayer and you’ll be sure to have all of the best weapons and equipment that you possess.
- Learn the ropes — Before you shove your face into the multiplayer modes, you need to learn the craft of the game. There are plenty of ways to do that, and not only will you get the hang of the controls, you’ll get to grips with what’s expected of you in the various different modes.
- Stick with team battle to begin with — Once you do jump into the MP, it’s a good idea to earn some stripes in team deathmatch first. This is the simplest of the team modes, and learning the ropes here is going to set you in good stead for the rest of the game.
- Get everything you can — Combat Squad is a free to play game, and that means it’s going to be showering you with currencies. Make sure you grab all that you can. Check your mailbox and any other part of the menu that displays a red icon. You’ll be surprised what you might miss.
Tips and Cheats
- Flank like it ain’t no thing — The best way to take down a squad of foes is to flank them. Divert their attention with half of your team, then find a path around the side of them and take them out when they’re off their guard.
- Always reload — You don’t want to be running into a gunfight with half a clip. Take a second between shootouts if you can to make sure that your gun is fully loaded. It can be the difference between winning and losing.
- Don’t rush in — Just because you’ve respawned doesn’t mean you should be charging back into the fray. Take a moment to figure out where the battle is and how you can help your squad. If there’s been a big wipe, stick around the spawning zones and wait for more of your friends to rejoin.