Well, Magikarp Jump is a bit of a weird one isn’t it? I mean, I think I’m horribly in love with its mix of silliness and casual play. And on top of that it’s a game that essentially stars a bouncing, mute and mostly useless fish. What’s not to like?
But there are layers to the game that you might not have got to grips with yet, and since I’ve spent too much time playing it, it would seem churlish if I didn’t share some of the tips and cheats that I’ve unlocked in my time with it. And because I’m in a good mood I’ll also throw in some more advanced strategies that should help you out the further you get into the game. You’re going to be a Magikarp master in no time flat. And, quite frankly, I can’t imagine ever wanting to be anything else.
- Do what you’re told – To say Magikarp Jump is linear would be something of an understatement. You don’t have any say over what you’re doing, not really, so it’s best just to go with the flow and follow where the game leads.
- Eat the berries – While it’s not the most interesting thing the game has to offer, chowing down on the berries in your pond should always be your first port of all. Especially if you’ve not played for a while – that place is going to be berry central.
- Train and train hard – Don’t think of training as a waste of training points, think of it as an essential part of pushing your Magikarp on to the next level. You don’t have any control over the training, but make sure you spend those points when you get them to keep ahead of the curve.
Hints and Tips
- Know when you’re beaten – If you win a jump-off by less than a metre, it’s almost guaranteed that you’re not going to win the next one. Head back home, train, eat, and spend some of your coins. The increments your opponents go up by aren’t standard, but try to put at least another thousand JP onto your karp.
- Take a risk – Sometimes you’ll be offered choices in the random events. It’s worth taking a risk every now and then with these, because the rewards that you get are going to be worth it. Of course you might ruin your training, but what’s life without a bit of risk?
- Save up for friends – Save up your gems and spend them on new friends to play with your Magikarp. These Pokemon won’t just give you boosts when you’re at home, they can cheer you on at a jump-off and give you the edge you need to beat your opponent.
- Keep an eye out for visitors – Often you’ll get other Pokemon coming into your pond. When you see them, tap on them. You’ll get rewards for doing it, and they may well push you on to the next level of play.
- Don’t forget to decorate – As well as buying Poke-friends, it’s a good idea to splurge on decorations every now and then. These spruce up your playing area, and they’ll give boosts and buffs to your Magikarp as well.
- Listen to the fisherman – Sometimes you’ll pull of karp out of the water that’s not going to do that well. Listen to what the angler says when you’ve caught a fish, and if it’s too negative, consider spending some gems to re-roll your choice.