Game Introduction – Fairy Tale Twist
Fairy Tale Twist is a match-3 game created by Zynga. As you complete different levels you’ll complete traditional fairy tales, but like the title suggests, with a twist. Match colored charms by swapping pieces across the board in a certain number of moves. Gamezebo’s quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
Fairy Tale Twist is free to play, and can be played by clicking the “Play Now!” option at the top of the page. There is no difficulty setting. You will jump straight into the game, though levels progress in difficulty themselves.
How to Play
Now that you’ve started the game proper, we’ll cover how it works. Fairy Tale Twist is all about working through each level to eventually complete a version of a traditional fairy tale with a special twist. Levels are completed when you reach the goal previously posted in each round. Goals range from completing each game board in a certain number of moves to achieving a specific score.
- Matching: The game is played by swapping the colorful charms on the board to match by color. There are several different types of matches you can use to start clearing out charms.
- Four in a Row Match: Match 4 colors in a row to create a special Fairy Dash charm that, when swapped with similarly-colored charms, creates a cross-shaped blast of fairy magic that clears all charms in its wake.
- Three in a Row Match: Swap charms to create a line of 3. This is a basic match and will clear the charms from the board.
- T- and L-Shaped Match: Matching in this shape will leave behind another variant of the pixie charms mentioned earlier known as Pixie Dust. Swapping the charm to create a match will create a 3 x 3 square of destruction, cleaning tiles in its wake.
- Five in a Row Match: When you match five charms, you’ll be left with a Crystal Ball charm. Simply swapping this charm will unleash a burst of energy that wreaks havoc upon the board, wiping out all tiles that match the color you swapped it with.
- Using the Fairy Tale Books: Fairy Tale Twist tells a number of stories using lavish storybooks as a base. Each book contains specific levels that unlock parts of the current fairy tale as you progress. You must complete each level to see the end of the story, as well as the titular “twist.”
- Moves: You’re allotted a specific number of moves to complete the goals for the individual levels. This varies as your goals do, and if you run out of moves before completing the level you lose one life.
- Lives: Lives are integral to Fairy Tale Twist. Failing to reach the level’s goal, losing to a boss character, or failing to make the score threshold of a certain board will result in the loss of one life. You are allotted five at maximum, and they will reset every 25 minutes. If you reach zero, you will have to wait a specific amount of time for a life to regenerate or reach out to friends to send you lives in order to continue playing. Alternatively, you can use emeralds to purchase additional lives with real-world currency.
- Emeralds: Emeralds act as in-game currency you need to purchase with real-world funds. Emeralds can be used to purchase Moves, Lives, and brand new Powers to aid you on your journey. You can use them to purchase a full set of Lives if you want to ensure you stay one step ahead of you friends.
- Powers: Powers are earned as you progress through each level, and can be used for various purposes. Some will remove specific charm types from the board, some will allot extra moves, and many others still will grant you other useful abilities.
Types of Puzzles/Goals
Fairy Tale Twist isn’t a one trick pony. You’ll encounter several different puzzle boards, each with their own goal and prerequisite to complete. Here are some common types of puzzle boards you might encounter.
- Achieve X Points: Some boards have no requirements other than making enough matches to reach a predetermined score set forth in the level. There is no time limit, though there is a restricted amount of moves you must work with in order to reach this score.
- Free/Rescue/Wake Up X Amount of Creatures: Many boards, especially those in later levels of the game, will require you to “free,” “rescue,” or “wake up” creatures scattered across the board amongst regular charms. Including these special creatures in your match will “free” them, and they will then be added to the required count for the level.
- Boss Encounters: In a set number of moves, your goal is to defeat a boss character. As you work to clear the board, so will the boss. While there isn’t a time limit, you will need to be especially prudent when combating the Big Bad Wolf, the Evil Witch, and their brethren.
Tips and tricks
- It may be tempting to ask friends to send you lives all the time so you can stockpile them, but if you don’t need them extra lives cannot be saved as a surplus. Choose when to reach out for help wisely!
- Take your time when calculating the next action you want to take. There’s no reason to rush, and zipping through each level can lead to costly mistakes.
You have completed Gamezebo’s quick start guide for Fairy Tale Twist. Be sure to check back often for game updates, staff and user reviews, user tips, forums comments and much more here at Gamezebo!