Game Introduction – Rivals at War: 2084
Rivals at War: 2084 is a free-to-play card-based action game created by Hothead Games. You’ll collect cards, build teams, and customize characters when battling both human and computer-controlled opponents. Gamezebo’s quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- Rivals at War: 2084 is free to play, and can be downloaded by clicking the “Play Now!” option at the top of this page.
- When you first start the game, you’ll be asked if you want to receive push notifications. You won’t be able to change this setting later.
- After choosing, you’ll enter the game’s tutorial. This process will not only teach you about how the game is played, but also give you your first cards.
- The tutorial touches on some of the basics of Rivals at War: 2084. During this time, you’ll be given your first cards, learn how to assemble a team, and play a couple battles.
- You’ll be given the opportunity to change the names and colors for your team and individual squad members. These options can be easily changed later.
- You will be introduced to the Star Map, the main hub for progressing through the game.
- You will also make your first purchase with coins, the main in-game currency. Coins will mainly be used to purchase new packs of cards.
- At the end of the tutorial, you’ll have the option to connect your Facebook account, which allows you to play with friends and earn extra rewards. If you pass, this option will be available later on the title screen.
- The Star Map places players in multiplayer modes, but adds extra rewards and creates special gameplay conditions not found in other modes.
- Quick match is a single match against a random opponent. Win five of these to earn a bonus reward.
- Rivals mode is where you can challenge friends and recent players, as well as accept challenges.
- Campaigns work like round-robin leagues where every team faces each other and scores points based on performance. At the end, the highest scores win a bonus reward.
Team Building and Management
- As you play Rivals at War: 2084, you’ll earn a variety of cards, the most important being new squad members. Building a strong team is critical to success, as the winner of a match is based on the better team and tactics.
- There are six classes available: commander, medic, sniper, demolisher, heavy gunner, and scout. Each team must have at least one commander, but the other five slots can be filled with any class.
- Certain classes will remain unusable until you earn enough experience points from playing and winning battles.
- When buying card packs, you’ll come across equipment cards. Each character can equip class-compatible helmets, armor, and weapons. Loadouts can easily make or break a battle. Certain equipment (especially weapons) will also lower certain stats, so it’s important to keep that in mind.
- You’ll also get skill perk cards that can be applied to characters, giving them boosts in damage, speed, accuracy, or defense. Unlike equipment, these are permanent and must be used wisely.
- Your team will earn stat bonuses if you use one of each class or if the entire team has the same “home star” icon on their cards.
- Equipment has a set amount of HP and must be repaired over time. This costs about 100 gold, which shouldn’t be a problem in most cases.
- Characters have a similar system with their “Tours of Duty” counter. Each character has a set amount of matches it can participate in. When that number hits zero, you can either remove that character from the lineup or use a card to give more tours, if any are available.
- Characters can also be injured, weakening them until they’re healed. They can be healed instantly using gold.
Understanding the Battlefield
- The results of all battles are decided before the fight even takes place.
- Before the match is decided, you can activate up to three one-time use tactics cards. These have a wide array of active and passive effects. Some tactics may only activate once per round, while others are continuous, but smart use of tactics is critical for success.
- Once the battle starts, the sole goal is for your team to stand in the center zone until your gauge fills up to 100%. Different classes rely on different strategy. For example, commanders are the most likely to capture the zone, while snipers like to hang back and cover the offensive units. Certain strategies and situations will change this, however. Experimentation is key.
- Battles don’t have a time limit, though most won’t take more than a couple of minutes. That said, there’s a lot of action during that time, and you may find taking notes on your team’s struggles to be beneficial for future fights.
- Because matches are predetermined, you are free to skip them at any time. The post-match screen shows a few stats and gives the option to watch the replay. The stats themselves mean little, so watching the match is the best way to learn what’s working and what needs to be changed.
Tips and Tricks
- As said, experimentation is the key to success. Don’t be afraid to take a few losses when trying out new team builds and loadouts.
- Don’t skip all your matches. Watching some of the fights—especially losses—is a great way to better understand your team.
- Play the Star Map frequently. Certain events (such as building a team with five medics) are silly, but the rewards for completion are usually well worth the effort.
You have completed Gamezebo’s quick start guide for Rivals at War: 2084. Be sure to check back often for game updates, staff and user reviews, user tips, forums comments, and much more here at Gamezebo!