Game Introduction – The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-earth
The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-earth is a persistent city-building game developed by Kabam where you build up a city, gather resources, and battle other players. Gamezebo’s quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- To download the game, click the “Play Now” button at the top of this page.
- Once downloaded, click the “play” button
- That’s it! You’re ready to start the game!
How to Play
- UI: First, let’s go over the basic user interface to get you acquainted with how the game works and what all the various buttons and icons mean to you.
- Username: Let’s work from top left to right on down. First, if you look in the top left you’ll see that the screenshot says “Sherm”—this can be changed by clicking it and creating your own unique name.
- Mithril: Mithril is the premium currency in the game where you can spend in the shop for various upgrades and expansions to your city.
- Resources: The bread, log, stone, ore and gold icons followed by the amount that you have is vital to building and upgrading your city’s structures. Each new building and upgrade takes various amounts of each of these resources. In the “field view” (which will we explore further on) you can create structures that help boost production. There are also other free and not-so-free ways to gain resources.
- Blank Tiles: Where you see empty square spaces, this is where you build out your city. Every blank square represents the ability to build structures. Simply tap them to create.
- View: In the bottom left corner is the various views you can take in the world. The current view is in the Keep view.
- Field View: Field View is outside of your cities structure. You can see the citadel and the surrounding walls faintly in the distance. Here is where you build your means of production—farms, quarries, mines and lumber mills.
- World View: World view is where you expand your territory. You can scout or attack surrounding islands to expand your territory, population and resources.
- Building Types (Keep View): In the above screenshot, here are some examples of the building types that you can create early in the game. Once you create them, you can upgrade their abilities from the main Keep view page by tapping them. Each building type is interconnected. In addition to resources, certain buildings require other buildings to be upgraded to particular levels before you can upgrade the one that you wish. It is a process of building up your entire city instead of picking and choosing which ones you would like at that particular point in time.
- Building Time: This is a game, when played more than casually, which is all about time management. Each building takes anywhere from 5 second to hours or days to create, and you only can build or research (more on that soon!) one thing at a time. You can purchase, with mithril of course, the various speed boosts that cut down on building time.
- Research: When not building new structures, you can also research to make current structures more effective. Like building new structures, researching has various cooldown times and requirements of resources and building types to met before you can complete them.
- Quests: Quests are critical to your success in the game. They are your guide in the early going to make sure that you have enough means of production to defend yourself against other player’s attacks. (After a week, your city is vulnerable to attack by other players) Follow the suggested missions to build up your city and claim the mission rewards, which are usually resources but can also include gold and speed tokens. Completing these missions will also help you level up and continue to get stronger to expand your city and defend yourself against incoming attacks.
- Alliances: You can join alliances, which is a player-to-player way of sharing resources and combining strength to attack and defend. The game has an in-game chat session that is fairly active, and I would suggest joining an alliance so you are not at a disadvantage when your week of grace period from attacks expires.
- Gollum’s Riddle: Gollum’s Riddle is a daily free chance at gobs of resources and other goodies. You get one daily chest for free, and then from there can pay mithril to gain further resources. This is a great tool to build up your resource pool, and playing daily is more than sufficient in the early going. From there, it will depend on how much cash you want to pony up.
- Keep Controls: Within the keep you can make a few choices—tax rate is but one example. The higher the tax rate, the higher the gold resources you have at your disposal, but the less happy your people are. As they are less happy, they will be less productive. Be careful not to go too far on the tax rate!
- Earning Free Gold: As always with games with this type, there are a few incentives of free gold by doing various tasks. The main one is creating a Kabam account, which nets you a cool 75 mithril. You can also link the game to your Facebook account for more free mithril.
- Attacking Islands: In World View you are able to view surrounding areas for attack. By touching them, you have the option to scout and attack. By scouting the area first, you will get a report on the forces and defenses that are awaiting you in your message inbox. Always scout an area first unless you are absolutely sure of victory, or you may see your army wiped out by a force that you did not expect to be so large.
- Defending Against Attack: You are immune from attack for a week, which should give you plenty of time to bulk up. Mind that you build a solid force through the training grounds, but also do not forgot to build up your ramparts. Joining an alliance to help defend your city from attack is not a bad idea as well!
You have completed Gamezebo’s quick start guide for The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-earth! You should be all set on your way to play your best game! Be sure to check back often for game updates, staff and user reviews, user tips, forums comments and much more here at Gamezebo!