Game introduction – Botkin’s Hidden Cove
Botkin’s Hidden Cove is an adventure game developed by Playdom. In this game you will explore the island to save Botkin and his Jungle Critter friends from the Evil Witch Doctor. Gamezebo’s quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- Botkin’s Hidden Cove is free to play, and can be downloaded by clicking the “Play Now!” option at the top of this page.
- When you first fire the game up, you’ll be asked if you want to receive push notifications. You won’t be able to change this setting later.
- After choosing, you’ll be taken to the game’s main menu. Here you can check on the games you’re currently involved in, along with whether or not it’s your turn.
- When you enter Botkin’s Hidden Cove, Bao Bao will walk you through a short tutorial to explain the basics of Botkin’s Hidden Cove.
Botkin’s Hidden Cove basics
The center of the action is your town on the beach and the surrounding jungle. You use your town to provide a safe haven for the critters, to feed them, to farm food and to forge machetes.
The surrounding jungle is where most of your quests will take place. Using a machete, you can explore a part of the jungle to find what secrets it holds. You will find critters captured by the Evil With Doctor, common inventory items, and special quest items that will further your adventure.
To explore the jungle, you will need to have machetes. Machetes can be found as a random item lying around town or in the jungle, they can be forged out of polished metal in the forge or they can be purchased. If you run out of machetes, you will need to acquire new ones before you can explore the jungle again.
When you explore a new part of the jungle, or when you have left the game and came back after a while, you will notice several types of ‘debris’ around, such as leaves, tree stumps and roots. Clear these to find a variety of items, from coins to machetes.
The town score indicates how safe your town is for the critters fleeing from the Evil Witch Doctor. The more critters you have saved, the higher your town score needs to be to protect them all. The town score is raised by placing extra props and buildings in your town, such as homes, a well or a parasol.
As your town slowly grows, you will quickly find the light house and the forge. The forge is used to forge machetes, which you need for exploring the jungle. The polished metal required can be earned in some quests or by talking to certain critters, but must otherwise be purchased.
Farming and food
On the market, you can buy several kinds of patches of farming ground. By buying a type of crop, over time it will produce food. Keep in mind that while certain foods do grow quickly, buying a crop that takes longer to produce, generally provides a better money-to-food ratio.
Food can be used to speed up your own actions. If you want to speed up a certain process, such as building or forging, you can eat food to get it done instantly.
While you could just try and cut down the entire jungle, there are quests to guide you on your path through this adventure. The icons on the left of the screen indicate that there are quests available. By clicking on the question mark next to a sub-quest, you can get a hint on how to solve the quest.
Exploring the island
Your own settlement on the beach is only a small part of the island. As you progress through the game and complete more quests, you will unlock more locations. These can be accessed from the ‘Island map’ on the bottom right of your screen.
The basics of any location are much the same as described above: you clear things lying around, you explore the area around and you complete quests. There are however two important differences.
For one, any action in a location other than your own town will be limited by time. The amount of actions you can undertake is indicated by potions. A potion will automatically fill-up to it’s max, with one refill taking 5 minutes of real-world time.
When you get to a new location, you will need to use the forge to forge the tool that you need for that location. For instance, you need pick axes to explore the temple ruins, so when you get there, use the forge to produce pick axes.
Tips & tricks
- Make sure you always clear everything you see lying around. You never know what you will find!
- You can do multiple tasks at the same time. As long as you have critters that are not doing anything else, get everyone to work.
- While it is really convenient being able to speed up a task by using food, it is best to save food for tasks you need done quickly. If you have a large task, and you plan on calling it a day anyway, might as well save your food for a next time.
- Make sure you keep an eye on the toucan: you don’t want messages to go unanswered.
You have completed the quick start guide for Botkin’s Hidden Cove by Playdom. Be sure to check back often for game updates, Staff and user reviews, user tips, forum comments, and much more here at Gamezebo.