Game Introduction – Jewels With Buddies
Jewels with Buddies, developed by Scopely Inc., is a fast-paced social game of jewel matching fun. Match three or more gems to earn points and gold coins to purchase diverse power-ups which help you defeat your opponent even faster. Gamezebo’s quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- Jewels with Buddies is a free application and can be found by clicking on the “Play Now!” button at the top of this page, or by searching for it in the iTunes store.
- Push notifications -When you start the game you will be asked if you want push notifications sent to your device. If you want to change this setting you will need to go into the apps section of your device and change it there.
- Set up your username – You can find other players by their user name just as they will find you by yours. After you create your username you can sign in with your email or Facebook account.
- Playing with buddies – You will need to either log in with your Facebook account or sign up and log in with your email or Twitter account in order to find players. There are five methods available to start a new game. (See “Starting a new game” below)
- Game tutorial – You have the option to play through a brief tutorial or skip it the first time you start the game or you can access it in the help menu.
- Game setting controls -Tap on the gear icon at the top left silver panel of the game screen. Here you can change your account settings, toggle the sound, game music, or gem wiggle effect on or off as well as reach the purchase screen to obtain more coins.
- Blocked users – You have the option to block any other player from playing the game with you from the settings menu if needed. You can manage more than one blocked player and reverse the blocking if you choose.
- Coins -These are the basic game currency used to purchase power-ups to help you earn higher point scores. Each time you play a sixty second round you can purchase one or two power ups or spin the slot machine for a random combination of powerups.
- How to purchase additional currency – To purchase additional gold coins tap on” add more coins” or the “Get more” button when you see it and you will be taken to the menu shown above. You can purchase coins in various quantities starting at .99 cents up to $99.99. The more you spend the cheaper the overall cost per coin. This is considered an “in app” purchase and will be charged to your iTunes account.
How to play
- You are given one minute to play one full round of the game. The countdown timer is located along the top of the screen and turns red during your last five seconds of the round.
- The game screen will fill up with multicolored gems each having a different shape.
- Yellow – Triangle
- Green – Diamond
- Red – Hexagon
- White – Sphere
- Blue – Teardrop
- Purple – Octagon
- The game grid has 64 gems at a time and your goal is to use your finger to slide the gems either up, down or left to right to switch places with another gem to make matches of three or more on the game grid.
- Once you match three or more gems you will earn points for the combinations you make.
- Coins on gems – If you match a gem with a gold coin on it you will earn that gold coin which you can use to purchase power ups with.
- Points are earned and the faster you make matches and the larger the chain of gems you match the more points you will earn.
- Multiplier gems – These are seen on the grid as “x2” or “x5” and more depending on how many matches you can make. The more matches you make of one color the higher the multiplier number will be. Try to use these whenever they appear.
- As soon as you match gems they disappear from the grid and more gems drop down from the top of the screen.
- You will make matches until the timer runs out trying to get the highest score you can to beat the high score of your opponent.
- Scoring goals – Your goal is to score as many points as possible in your three one minute rounds which are added together and the final sum is compared with your opponents and the winner is announced. You also want to get as many gold coins as you can each time you play as you will have more coins to purchase power ups with.
Playing against an opponent
- You will have multiple options to choose an opponent and once you do you will play three one minute rounds and whoever has the highest overall point total from these three rounds will win. Once you win you will earn coins and points and will be able to post on Facebook if you choose.
- Once you play one round the game then sends a notification to the other player (provided they have this enabled) letting them know you have either challenged them or it is their turn to play. Once they take their turn a notification will then be sent to you and this continues until the three rounds are played by both players.
- At this time the game only involves two players. This could change in future game updates.
- Texting – You can tap on the text icon at the upper right corner of the game play menu and send that particular player a text. A number on this button indicates a message waiting for you to read and you may receive a notification on your device as well.
- If you wait more than a few seconds without moving a gem you will four blue arrows will appear showing you where a match is located on the grid. There has to be at least one match on the grid at all times or the game will quickly clear the board and refill it with new gems and you will see the message “Gems cleared” briefly display on the screen.
- Gem Wiggle – You have the option of having the gems on the grid float and give the appearance they move or wiggle during game play. You can turn this off in the settings menu to keep the gems still and it gives more of a flat appearance.
- There are several different powerups in the game and each one is represented by an animal character and a different gem with the exception of the slot machine which is a special alternative for power ups explained below.
- You have the potential to have a maximum power up strength of 18. Each power up contributes to this strength and this is shown by a power meter located under each power up option screen.
- Note any of the gems the power ups clear away will count toward your point score and any gems with a coin cleared away will be awarded to you as well.
- Types of power ups – Note – More power ups may be added to the game in future game updates.
- Panda power up – Cost – 10 coins – The panda button will activate once you clear enough white spheres from the grid. Once the button highlights tap on it and then tap on any row and the panda will clear it away. You will earn points for each gem the panda clears away even if there are no matches in the row.
- Elephant power-up – Cost – 20 coins – The elephant button will activate once you clear away the purple gems and fill up the horizontal meter alongside the image at the bottom of the grid screen. Tap on the elephant when the button lights up and then tap on any column (horizontal row) and half of the game board will be destroyed and you will earn points for all gems knocked off the grid.
- Monkey power-up – Cost – 30 coins – The monkey is associated with the yellow diamond gem and once you clear enough of these and activate the button tap on it and then tap on any color gem on the board you wish to clear and he will swing across the board removing all of that color. You will earn points for all the gems he removes and more will fall down into the grid from above right away.
- Penguin power up – Cost – 50 coins – The penguin is associated with the blue tear drop gem and once you clear enough of these to activate the button tap on it and the timer at the top of the screen will freeze for a few seconds increasing the amount of time you have for game play.
- This can be very valuable if you can use it right away and then one or two more times during your round.
- Dragon power-up – Cost – 75 coins – The dragon is associated with the red hexagon shaped gem and when the button highlights tap on it and then tap on any area on the grid and it will demolish gems next to any matches you make for a few moments.
Slot machine option
- You also have a handy option to use the slot machine when you are running low on coins.
- It costs 15 coins to spin the slot machine and whatever appears in the windows is what you win.
- If you see a red “X” then you have won nothing.
- If you see coins you will immediately have those coins added to your total if you choose to keep that spin.
- Best scenario is you win two power ups for 15 coins vs. paying full price for both of them.
- Note – If you spin you must use what you get. If you don’t like what you get and spin again you lose what you won before and the coins you spent on the spin.
- It seems each spin after the first gives you better results as far as getting multiple power ups which is still cheaper than purchasing two separately.
How power-ups are used
- Power-ups are chosen before you start your round. You purchase power ups with gold coins of which you are given 100 when you start the game the first time. You can also purchase more with real currency by tapping on the purchase coins or purchase gems buttons at the top of the menu screens.
- When you start the game you will see two power-up slots at the bottom of the screen and only one will be unlocked at first. You will have to play a certain number of games before the second slot opens up and you can use two power ups at once.
- Each power-up is associated with a specific type of gem and if you look at the picture of the animal that appears in the slot at the bottom you will see it is holding the gem that it is associated with.
- Each time you clear that particular power up gem in your sixty second round the meter running horizontally along each side of the power-up fills up with color. Once it is filled the button lights up and you can tap on it to take effect on your game grid and give you a high point boost.
- Note – If you do not use the power-up it will be used at the end of the round automatically but it is best to use it as fast as possible as you can use it many times if you are really fast at matching the gems needed to fill the meter up.
How to create a new game
- You have five options for creating a new game.
- Play with friends – You can invite them through your Facebook account or by sending an SMS invitation to them.
- Random buddy – This connects you with someone else who is also playing the game and looking to play at the same time.
- Re-match – You can offer a rematch to any buddy you have previously played against.
- Username search – Type in your buddies’ username and send them an in game invitation this way.
- Local play – This allows you to play with a buddy sitting close to you so you can pass the same device between two people.
Nudging your buddy
- If after 24 hours your buddy has not taken their turn you are allowed to tap on the nudge button which appears next to their name under the “their turn” heading.
- This will send the player a notification reminding them you are waiting on them to take a turn. Note – This only works if they have notifications enabled on their device.
- You can only send one nudge per player every 24 hours.
- You have the ability to view another player’s stats and your own stats anytime.
- Tap on the “Your Stats” button at the top left of the menu screen.
- You will see a screen like the one in the image above that will show a pie chart summary of your wins, losses, forfeits, and ties as well as your high score.
- While in a play menu with a buddy tap on the stat button in the center of your images to see their stats.
You have completed the basic game play guide for Jewels with Buddies by Scopely games. Be sure to check back often for game updates, staff and user reviews, user tips, forum comments and much more here at Gamezebo!