Game Introduction – Song Pop
Song Pop is a music trivia game developed by FreshPlanet Inc. The object of the game is to correctly guess the name of the song or artist based on a brief sound clip. Gamezebo’s quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- Song Pop is a free game and can be found by clicking on the “Play Now!” button at the top of this page.
- When first firing the game up, you’ll be taken to the main menu.
- Create Game – To start up a game, choose the ‘Create Game’ option from the main menu. Here you’ll be offered to choose from Facebook friends, to play random opponents, or to seek out players via email or username.
- Song Pop Friends – On this portion of the main menu, you’ll be shown a list of your friends that already play the game. Playing with them is as simple as choosing the ‘Challenge’ option next to their name.
- New Challenge – When friends or random players start a game against you, their names will show up on the main menu of the game with the words ‘New Challenge’ next to it. To play against them, choose ‘Accept’. Because they challenged you, they were in charge of choosing the genre. Once you complete the first round of playing with them, though, it’s your turn to choose the genre.
- Available on the App Store – By clicking this icon, you’ll be taken to the iTunes App Store page for the iOS version of the game.
- Android App on Google Play - Here is where you go to download the Android version. The game features cross-platform play.
- Invite Friends - The tiny icon featuring the little person and the plus sign is where you go to invite friends. This causes you to post something to your Facebook timeline, encouraging your friends to play the game with you.
- Settings – Right next to the ‘Invite Friends’ button is the settings, where you can edit your account and turn sound effects on and off.
- Coins – Here is where you go to purchase coins for in-game use. With them, you can purchase Music Note powerups and additional playlists (more on both of these things soon).
How to Play
- Once you’ve got a match going, you’ll be prompted to choose from a set of three different categories. If you’re unhappy with the ones you’ve been provided, you can spend a Music Note on changing it to a different three.
- Now that you’ve chosen a category, you’ll be playing the game! As a sound clip plays, do your best to answer it as quickly (and as correctly!) as possible.
- Remove 2 Songs – Under each question you’ll see the ‘Remove 2 Songs’ option.This halves the amount of answers you have to choose from, and using it costs one Music Note.
- Once you complete the round, you’ll be shown a breakdown of how you performed, including how many you got right and how quickly you answered. Once the other player takes their turn, you’ll be shown how well you did compared to them.
- Once you’re done looking over your stats, go ahead and choose the ‘Send Challenge’ option. Your opponent will then be alerted that it’s their turn.
- After sending a challenge their way, you’ll be taken back to the main menu. You’ll now see the match you’re in the middle of listed here.
- Playlists – Playlists are the game’s categories, and you can purchase more before choosing music for a round, or on the icon on the main menu that looks like a record.
- Coins – Coins are earned from playing the game, and, as mentioned earlier, you can also purchase them from the main menu. You gain 1 coin for every round you lose, and 3 for every round you win. You can always see how many coins you have near the top of the main menu.
- Music Notes – Music Notes are an alternate currency in the game, and they can be spent on changing up the playlists you’re presented at the start of a round, as well as eliminating half of the possible answers in a question. The main menu lists how many you have at all times.
- Stars – As you play the game, you’ll notice a set of five stars situated next to the names of all the categories. Whenever you perform well in one of these, you’ll see the stars slowly fill up. For each star you fill, you gain more songs in that genre.
- Stick to the genres you’re most comfortable with, but don’t be afraid to branch out here and there. You may discover a new artist!
- Pay close attention to the lyrics in songs. They’ll often point you in the right direction.
- If you hear a female singer, you can probably rule out any male musicians as possible answers. Crazy, right?!
- Be sparing with Music Notes. They can come in incredibly handy when you’re dissatisfied with the genres the game is presenting you at the start of a round.