Game Introduction – Catapult King
Catapult King is a game developed by Wicked Witch Software where you control a catapult to send cannonballs crashing into medieval, snotty guards. Gamezebo’s Catapult King quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- Catapult King can be found by clicking the “Play Now” button at the top of the page.
- The game uses Chillingo’s Crystal gaming service for high scores and achievements. You can also post messages to Facebook and/or Twitter, which will earn you 50 “Magic” (more on that later) for your service in advertising their game.
- When you fire up the application for the first time, you will be instantly transported to your first level.
- The image shows you a number of things. The first thing you will want to do is make note of the metal nubs on the right side of the catapult, which controls the pitch of your shot. Swiping the nub down gives your shot more air, whereas swiping upwards gives it less air. On the left, you see how many balls you have at your disposal to shoot. As the arrow pointing down by the ball indicates, this is how your start to your shot.
- When you pull back on the weapon, note the arrow on the wood. Use this as a guide to aim your shot as accurately as possible.
- Tap anywhere outside of the catapult area and swipe the screen to take a look around the environment. This will be extremely useful on levels with larger levels to examine structures for weaknesses or for environmental objects that can make your building destruction much easier.
- You can pinch to zoom into the structures. Holding one finger on the screen while swiping with the other allows you a full 360 degree view of the structures. To get back to your catapult, simply tap the screen.
- Once you have found your target, decide the appropriate pitch. Pull back on the catapult’s string and release to send the object flying towards your intended target.
Power-ups and Magic:
- There are three power-ups that you can use in Catapult King: Meteor Strike, Earth Shock and Aim.
- Every level has rankings for completing them with your normal assortment of catapult bombs, but also doles out badges for besting them with a Meteor Strike or Earth Shock. The Meteor Shock rains blue comets down on structures, while Earth Shock shakes the ground.
- These power-ups can be activated when they hit a structure, or if you want to activate them earlier, you simply tap the screen and the power will be activated.
- Passing levels will earn you “Magic”, which is currency to purchase the power-ups. If you do not want to wait to earn Magic, you can purchase Magic in the following price points.
- Aim costs 20 Magic
- Earth Shock costs 25 Magic
- Meteor Strike costs 30 Magic
- These power-ups are used independently of the “normal” game, with the exception of Aim. As such, they are only useful for earning the badge (which, as an aside, isn’t really all that difficult to do) and their best use is to clear a vexing level and kick it down the can to figure out later.
- Aim does a good job of helping you determine pitch, but the arrow on the front of the catapult does a passable job of guiding you on the location of where the ball will be landing.
How to Play:
- The key to success is going low. To complete levels, you must eliminate all of the guards that are posted in the level, and aiming high at the structures or directly at the guards will get you nowhere. Instead, by aiming low you will be eliminating the support of the structure and sending boxes towards other guards.
- Make sure you keep stock of the amount of bombs you have at your disposal, but more importantly, the types of bombs you have.
- Regular bombs are great for hitting the regular “tan” wood boxes.
- The black “hard” bombs are great for knocking out the darker brown / stone blocks.
- Split bombs are great for hitting multiple targets that are separated by small gaps. Timing the tap that splits the bomb is critical. Tap earlier for wider gaps. The earlier you tap, the wider the radius the bomb will cover.
- There are a number of ways that you are scored after clearing a level of guards. First is a bronze, silver or gold crown. The next is the amount of treasure/jewels that go in the crown.
- Treasure is earned by knocking out the correct boxes. They are generally earned in tandem with clearing the level. You will not get a gold crown and not have at least two jewels, for example. Unfortunately, because of the poor identification, it is somewhat of a crapshoot.
- Crowns are earned in a calculation of how many balls you have left at the end of the level clear, and how many boxes you destroyed in the process.
You have completed the quick start guide for Catapult King by Wicked Witch Software. Be sure to check back often for game updates, staff and user reviews, user tips, forum comments, and much more here at Gamezebo!