Game Introduction – Hero Academy
Hero Academy is a tactical strategy game from Robot Entertainment for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Using your heroes, you’ll need to cast spells and upgrade your heroes to create a winning team! Making sure you have the best arsenal can be difficult however, so with Gamezebo’s quick start guide you’ll be able to create the winning team of your dreams in no time at all!
Quick Start Guide
- To get started and playing Hero Academy you’ll first need to download it by clicking the “Play Now” button at the top of this screen.
- Once the game has finished downloading, you can find it on your home screen. Tap on the icon labeled Hero Academy to start playing.
- Once you have reached the title screen, you can press Play button to start playing immediately.
- On the next screen, you can create or login with your iTactics account. You will need an account to play. If you don’t have an account, simply type in your email address and press the Go button. You may be asked afterwards to provide a nickname.
Starting a Game
- Now that you have an ID, we can start our first game. Tap on the “Create Your First Game” button to start your first game.
- You will then be taken to the Create A Game screen, where you will select your opponent. If you know their Hero Academy username, you can type it in the “By Username” field.
- If you want to play with a Facebook friend, tap on the Facebook button. You will be asked to sign in with your Facebook account, and then can select from any of your friends to play with you.
- No friends to play with? No problem. You can play with a Random Opponent by tapping on the “Random Opponent” button.
- Tapping on the Random Opponent button will take you to the Team Select screen where you can choose which team to be on, whether it be the Council or the Dark Elves.
- You will now have to wait for your opponent to accept your challenge. When the game is ready for you to start playing, it will show on the Games screen. Tap anywhere on it to start playing.
- Let’s go over the Council, including what you can use when you select it as your team to play as.
- The units available with the Council are Knight, Archer, Wizard, Cleric, and Ninja.
- You will have Strong Alchemy when playing as the Council, meaning that your Clerics will have stronger healing and revive spells. Potions will also be able to revive knocked out units.
- Dark Elves are a team comprised of Void Monks, Impalers, Necromancers, Preistesses, and Wraiths.
- You will also have additional powers when using the Dark Elves such as Soul Harvest, Soulstone, and Life Leech.
- Note: Dark Elves are an extra optional in-app purchase. Only purchase them if you plan on using them.
How to Play
- Now it’s important to go over how exactly you play Hero Academy once you are in a game.
- Hero Academy is an asynchronous (not in real time) multiplayer game, meaning that you can only play against other real players, and that turns can be completed at any time, so you may be waiting a while until it is your turn in a game.
- The object of every game is to destroy your opponents’ colored crystals. In the screenshots I am using for this demonstration, I am controlling the red colored units.
- At the bottom of the screen, there are your units. You can drag them out onto the arrow pads on the game board to put them into play. After you’ve placed them down, hold on the unit and then drag your finger along the board to have them move.
- Certain tiles on the game board have certain affects. Those with shields under them mean that units standing on it resist more damage, sword tiles increase the attack power of the unit, and purple crystal tiles increase the entire team’s attack power towards crystals.
- After each turn when you use a unit from your inventory, it will ad another unit from it. The number displayed in the lower left corner is the amount of units and items you have left in storage.
- Keep an eye on the blue wheel in the lower left corner, as it determines how much your characters can move before your turn is over.
- When you’re confident with your choices, tap on the checkmark button in the lower right corner, and tap “Submit Turn” to end your turn. Your opponent will then go, until it is your turn again.
- Note: You may be waiting a while until it’s your turn again. Games that you are waiting on will be darkened and have “impatiently awaiting” written on them. When it’s your turn, they will light up and have “ready to attack” written on them. If you have turned on Push Notifications, you will get a notification once it’s your turn.
- When you want to attack, you will need to move until you are standing on an adjacent square. Once in that position, tap and hold on your unit, then drag on top of the enemy to attack them. The amount of damage dealt to the enemy depends on your attack power, so keep that in mind.
- Power-ups can be used and are usually denoted by a symbol on your inventory bar. To use one, drag it onto any able unit on your team. Examples of power-ups include a sword that will add additional attack power to your unit and a shield that will add additional defense points.
- There are also instant use items that come out on your inventory. Inferno is one example, and all you have to do to use it is drag it onto the opponent you want to damage. It will then be used, and discarded from play.
- Games can go on for quite a while, and can only end when all of a player’s crystals are destroyed, so make sure to defend and attack crystals whenever possible. Keep in mind that sometimes attacking the opponent’s crystal might be more important than fighting their units.
- You have completed the quick start guide for Hero Academy for iPhone and iPod Touch. Now you’ll be able to round up an army and start kicking some tail in no time! Keep checking back with Gamezebo for more guides, plus reviews, previews, news and more!