Game Introduction – Modern War
Modern War is the social game of military domination! Build a phenomenal military base, forge relationships with allies, and use your strength to destroy your enemies while looting and destroying their bases. There are over three hundred different missions to complete, with over one hundred powerful units on the air, sea and ground. Gamezebo’s quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
Getting Started/Game Basics
- Modern War is a free application and can be found by clicking on the “Play Now” button at the top of this page.
- You will be asked if you want to set push notifications at this time. You can always change them in the settings area at a later time if you choose.
- Choose your Nation – Choose your Nation from the list provided. Each nation has their own strength, also known as “Country Bonus” which is listed in the small blue print.
- Switching Nations – You can switch nations by accessing your profile and tapping on the “Switch Nation” button along the bottom of the screen.
- Choose your Avatar - Choose gender and scroll through the list for uniforms from the various military branches. You can also choose “Random” for random assignment and when you are ready tap on “Play” to begin the game.
- Connecting to Game Center – The game allows you to connect with game center in order to complete achievements and connect with other players as enemies or allies.
- Connect to Facebook - Connect to Facebook to publish your friend ID on your profile page. This allows others to add you as an ally and you can increase your strength of attack and defense this way.
- Enter your Name - After a brief tutorial you will be asked to enter your name in the way you would like to be addressed in the game.
- Game Settings – To reach game settings tap on the clipboard icon at the lower right corner then when the main menu appears tap on the “More” option. You will now see an icon with gears on it which is the “Settings” button. Here you can toggle the sound and music volume as well as the option of one click missions and level toggle.
- Level Toggle - Once you have buildings on your base if you look closely there is a small number near the center. This is the current level of that building. Tap on a building and you will be given the ability to upgrade it. Once completed this number increases. The level toggle button allows you to remove these numbers if you wish and the only way to tell your level is to tap on a building to see it in the menu.
- Alliance ID/Friend Code – Each players is assigned an “Alliance ID” which is a nine digit number that allows others to add you to their Alliances.
- To find your alliance ID tap on the “Add Allies” tab.
- Try to add as many friends as possible as this will make you virtually impossible to destroy.
- If you go into battle you can bring up to four of your alliances best units to help you fight and defend. This can make a huge difference in the outcome of your wars.
- There are two types of currency in Modern War. There are currency meters showing how much of each type of cash you have at the upper left side of the game screen.
- Cash - This is cash (paper) money and is the basic currency of the game. You collect this from your buildings and when you loot the bases of your enemies. You are given 20,000 cash money when you start the game.
- Gold Bars - This is the secondary currency used for special benefits such as speeding up the wait time of construction and upgrading as well as repairs and the purchase of special units, weapons, vehicles, buildings, and clothing items for avatars.
- Purchase Additional Funds – You can purchase additional funds at any time by tapping on the top left of the game screen on either of the funds indicators.
- Funds are bundled and can be purchased with increasing discounts as you purchase larger amounts.
- Each purchase is an “in app” purchase and charged to your iTunes account.
- You will spend a minimum of $4.99 up to $99.99.
- Bag of Gold (50 bars) $4.99 each
- Bag of Cash (5,000) $4.99 each
- Stash of Gold (110 Bars) $9.99 each
- Stash of Cash (11,000 ) $9.99 each
- Stockpile of Gold (240 Bars) $19.99 each
- Stockpile of Cash (84,000) $19.99 each
- Bank Trust of Gold (650 Bars) $49.99 each
- Bank Trust of Cash (229,000) $49.99 each
- Vault of Gold (1,500 Bars) $99.99 each
- Vault of Cash (530,000) $99.99 each
- Energy is needed to do work when you visit insurgent camps and will allow you to do more consecutive missions. You purchase energy with skill points and one skill points is equal to ten energy points.
- There is an energy meter at the top center of the game screen marked with a blue lightning bolt icon.
- If your energy meter is empty you can either wait for it to regenerate over time or you can use gold bars to purchase more instantly.
- When you have skill points to spend it is recommended especially in the early levels to spend them on energy points to increase your maximum.
- Note – Each time you level up your energy meter is refilled.
- Stamina – Stamina is needed to help you perform more consecutive fights.
- Your stamina meter is located at the top of the screen to the right with the bullet icon next to it.
- It takes three minutes to regenerate one stamina point.
- Each time you attack or raid an enemy camp (or take revenge) you use up your stamina.
- When you run out you can either wait until it regenerates or use gold to purchase an instant meter refill.
- You can leave the game and a push notification will inform you when the meter is full again if you have those options turned on in the settings menu.
- Note – Each time you level up your stamina meter is fully restored.
- XP/Experience Points – You earn experience points when you attack or raid an ally. As you gain enough XP you will level up.
- Leveling up allows you to spend skill points which allows you longer periods of game play which means more money.
- The XP meter is at the top right of the game screen represented by a star icon.
- When you purchase items, attack or raid enemies, construct buildings or complete quests you also earn XP
- Goals are an important part of the game as they serve as a tutorial tool at first and then guide you through the game until you form your own strategies to play with.
- There is a goal folder icon at the top left of the game screen. Tap on this to show your current goal list.
- A goal may have multiple missions or parts of missions listed. Sometimes you can click on buttons that take you directly to the store menu so you can purchase items or to a battle menu so you can attack based on what the goal requires.
- Once you complete a goal a notification will be shown as well as a screen showing how much money and XP you have been rewarded with.
Spending Skill Points/Leveling Up
- Each time you level up in the game you are rewarded with three skill points that you will be able to spend on the following categories:
- Attack - Improves your chances when attacking rivals.
- Defense - Improves your defensive strength to fend off rival attackers
- Energy - Increase to do more missions (Starting at 100/100 – 1 skill point = 10 energy)
- Stamina - Increase to raid and attack more. (2 Skill points = 1 Stamina point)
Constructing your Military Base
- You will be given a small patch of land to build your military base on.
- You will be able to put two different kinds of buildings on your base and upgrade each one so that it does more for you.
- Money Buildings – These when placed on your base will earn money for you at various intervals. These can be purchased for cash or gold
- Unit Buildings – These buildings when placed on your base will unlock various weapon units you can purchase and use in your battles. These can be purchased with cash or gold and can be very expensive.
- You will be able to upgrade money buildings and increase the amount paid out at different intervals. (See “Upgrading Buildings” below)
- Vault - You have a vault on your base which you can access by tapping on the clipboard icon and on the main menu tap on “Vault” here you will see a summary of your vault.
- Your vault will protect a certain amount of money based on its level from being taken or lost in enemy attacks.
- There is a maximum protected balance and it will show you how much money is unprotected when you tap on it to bring up the menu.
- You can tap on “Increase” and pay to increase the amount of money that is protected in the vault. You will have to wait a certain amount of time until the upgrade is completed and a countdown clock will appear when you tap on the vault icon after initiating the upgrade.
- As you level up the vault the maximum amount of protected money will increase.
- To purchase from store – Tap on the clipboard icon at bottom right corner to access the game menu. Next tap on “Store” and you will be taken to the store menu.
- Tap on “Money Buildings” or “Unit Buildings” and you will be taken to their respective menus.
- Placing items on your land - Tap on the item you wish to purchase and you will be taken back to the camp. You will see the building colored either red or green. If it is green it is in a location you can place it. If it is red you must use your fingertip and move it until it turns green. Once you have the building where you want it you can tap on the green check mark to lock in the purchase. If you change your mind you can tap on the “X” to cancel the transaction.
- Once you lock in the purchase you will see a construction site of the building appear. Tap on the site and a small menu will appear showing you how much time is left until the building is completed.
- You can spend gold bars at any time to complete the construction instantly.
Collecting from your Building Units
- At various intervals your building units located on your base will earn funds for you.
- When funds are ready for collection you will see a stack of cash over the building.
- Tap on the building and the funds will be added to your grand total.
- Try to tap on the buildings as soon as the money is available as no new money will be earned until you tap and collect what is there. If it sits for several hours you could lose a lot of money.
- Units are what you use when you go into battle. The better the units you have the more damage you can do to enemies in battle and during raids.
- Units can be found from the main menu.
- There are four categories from which you can purchase units.
- Infantry – These are your soldiers with different ranks and positions such as “Scout”, “Light Gunner” and more.
- Ground - These are items such as tanks, trucks, jeeps and other vehicles used on the ground.
- Air – Here you can purchase fighter jets, spy planes, drones and other aircraft.
- Sea – Here you have any kind of boat, battleship, submarine and any war craft used at sea.
- When visiting the menu be sure to check on the “Special” category.
- Here you can purchase special items such as “one extra ally”, “energy refill”, “stamina refill”, aircraft, submarines, tanks, special military ranks and more.
- These items are all purchased with gold bars only and are very expensive.
- Many of the items will require you to reach a certain level in the game before you can purchase these items.
- Items you purchase with the exception of the stamina and energy refills can not be destroyed in battle or raids.
- Some items are also available in limited quantities and once they are gone they will never be offered again.
- Be sure to check these often and know they will offer you significant advantages in the game.
- Extras - Note that extras in the game are decorative items you can add to your camp once you have enough extra money to do so.
- Tap on the insurgent camp button at the bottom right of the main screen and you will be taken there to battle and raid. If you tap on an item and then again a second time you will attack either a soldier, building or weapon unit. You will notice the camp is building up over time making it harder to penetrate.
- You will use up your energy while attacking the insurgent camp and if you run out you will need to wait until more generates or purchase a refill with gold bars. You can also increase your overall energy when you level up and can spend skill points.
- Be sure to do this as frequently as allowed for additional XP, Valor, and cash.
- To return to your camp tap on the button with the green barrel at the lower right corner.
- Note – Be sure to look at the rival’s profile before you attack.
- Once you travel to a Rivals camp you have the option to view his or her profile by tapping on the center icon at the far right of the screen.
- Once you have the profile you can see a lit of assets especially how many alliance members they have and number of units as that will be a big indicator as to whether you will fail or succeed when you attack them.
- You can see the number of missions completed and fights won.
- Make it a habit to check the rival profile before you attack any rival to see what your chances of winning truly are before you take the risk. This will save you a lot of energy and stamina points as well as money that could be wasted otherwise.
- A large part of the game and where you can earn a lot of money is by attacking rivals.
- This can be a first time attack or revenge for an attack made on you.
- Tap on the button that looks like a radar at the bottom right corner of main game screen and it will take you to the screen seen above.
- These are people who have attacked you or that you can attack that are at the same level and close to a fair match in number of units and allies.
- You can choose to raid or attack.
- Raids will use your stamina
- Attacks will use your energy.
- Attacks – When you choose to attack you will just see a brief “Vs” screen and then the final result of the attack as seen above.
Raiding Rival’s Base
- When you raid a rival’s base you will take money from them and earn valor points.
- You will be taken to the rival’s base and will be able to choose where you attack.
- Tap on a unit and then tap a second time to attack. You will see a plane or some other unit attack. You may have to attack several times to completely loot a unit.
- Once all the resources are gone from a building no one can attack it until the owner rebuilds it.
- When the cash and valor medals appear tap on them to add them to your inventory.
- Your stamina is used during raids.
- Raiding is a great way to make extra money and strengthen your military.
- You will bring more power with allies so make sure to add new players frequently to your ally list.
- Allies are very important as they give strength to your military letting you bring along four of your allies best units to each attack.
- Be sure to check forums at Gamezebo and Funzio for people giving out their Alliance ID and add yours too. This is the fastest way to add player strength.
- There is a maximum allowance of 500 allies or your level times five using whichever number is lower.
- You can visit your allies camps in the main menu by tapping on main menu then “More” then “Visit Allies”
- My Alliance List – Here you will see your alliance list. You can remove allies here if you wish or you can visit them for a daily reward.
- Note the tabs along the top of the screen. You can find requests here and send them out as well.
- VIP Status - If you are willing to spend ten gold bars you can obtain VIP status. This allows others you don’t know also playing the game to invite you into their alliances.
- Each person can invite up to three VIP players into their game per day. Purchase VIP status to be the one invited.
- If there are no VIPs available you won’t be able to choose one and a message will appear letting you know.
- Visiting your Allys - Tap on the “Visit Allies” tab off of the main menu under “More” and you will be able to tap on an Ally’s name and visit their camp.
- Each time you visit you will earn 1,000 cash as a reward. This is all you will be able to do at the camp other than look around and view your allies profile.
- You can only visit and collect money once per 24 hours. You can visit to look around as often as you like.
- While you are away from the game your camp is constantly under attack by enemies.
- You can access the situation report from the news area off of the “More” location from the main menu.
- You are at risk of losing any money or units not secured in your vault while away from the game..
- All units risk being lost when deployed in combat.
- The combat result page or situation report will show you details of the attack how much money was looted, and any units lost in combat. You will be able to take revenge on any one that has attacked you directly from this page. It will tell you the name of your attacker and how long ago you were attacked.
- Note – If you purchase any units with gold bars they can not be lost to you in combat.
- From the main menu you can access your map as shown above.
- You will start out with a map of the Middle East and as you level up you will see the various locations within your assigned area you must attack and how many times before completed. There is a progress bar next to each location.
- As you complete an attack you will level up within that area and master it. Once you completely master the location missions will begin to pay out more money and you will move on to the next level of that location. Once you complete all levels you will move on to the next location on the map.
- Attacking these locations will use energy.
- Use your finger to swipe the map to the right and see more upcoming locations and missions.
- You can tap on a location to go directly to it.
- You will also fight Eastern Europe, Central Asia, South America, North Africa, and South East Asia.
Customizing your Avatar
- At any point in the game you can customize your game avatar as others will see it when they attack you.
- Tap on the clipboard, then when at “Main Menu” tap on “Profile” and when you reach this page tap on “Customize” under the avatar picture.
- Once in the customization menu note the tabs along the top.
- You can change skin color, hairstyle, clothing tops and bottoms here.
- The first few options are free and you will have to use cash or gold to purchase some of the more elaborate outfits and hairstyles.
- There are sixty six achievements available in the game.
- You can access the full list of achievements in the game center area.
- You can find this by tapping on the clipboard icon, then ” Main Menu”, then “More”, and then “Game Center”
- You must be registered with game center and if so your user name will appear welcoming you.
- Then you will be taken directly to the achievement screen where you can use your finger to scroll down and read them.
- It is highly recommended you read through these at the beginning of your game if you want to complete them all as it will guide your choices in the game.
- You have completed the basic game play guide for Modern War. Be sure to check back often for game updates, Staff and user reviews, user tips, forum comments and much more here at Gamezebo!