A Valley Without Wind is a platformer with endless possibilities
Makers of the puzzle game Tidalis and the AI War series of strategy games, Arcen Games are working on a new side-scrolling platformer called A Valley Without Wind. The game is “procedurally generaetd,” meaning the world that you get to explore will never be the same way twice, leading to near-infinite replay value. The beta is now available for pre-order on Gamersgate.
The world of Environ has suffered an unknown cataclysm, and your goal is to explore a vast new world filled with dangerous creatures, powerful magic, and ancient technology. Along the way you’ll help other survivors of the cataclysm to establish settlements, gather resources for crafting, and fend off invading bandits.
According to the game page on GamersGate, other game features will include:
- Explore the beautiful and dangerousregions of Environ in a sprawling adventure. Travel through lush countryside, ruined towns, deepsubterranean caves, and buildings of all shapes and sizes.
- Procedural-generation ensures no two worlds will ever be the same. Your planet unfolds as you discover it, and once you’ve discovered something it becomes part of your Environ for good.
- Take command of survivor settlements. Scout surrounding areas for rare crafting materials and fend off invaders in the turn-based strategic overlay. Improve resident productivity and quality of life through the city-building interface at each settlement.
- Bring to life an infinite amount of characters, settings and stories. You don’t just represent an individual, you represent an entire civilization and itsindomitablewill to survive in a shattered world.
- Everywhere has treasures to discover, people to help, and evils to confront. Craft a variety of spells, scrolls, and traps to help you on your way.
- During beta, there are new updates nearly every weekday — packed with additional content, improvements, and much more.
According to Arcen Games, a co-operative multiplayer mode is also in the works.
You can preorder the game for PC and Mac through GamersGate now for $9.95 (half of the eventual selling price of $19.95). Your preorder gets you access to the current beta version and all subsequent releases, allowing you to see new contents and improvements as they get added every week.
A Valley Without Wind should be officially released sometime in the first quarter of 2012.