Game Introduction – Avalon Wars
Avalon Wars is an iPhone game developed by iFree Studio that lets you take control of a futuristic military base as you attempt to seize control over the planet of Avalon. Gamezebo’s Avalon Wars strategy guide and walkthrough will provide you with a quick start guide, tips and tricks, hints and cheats to help you dominate the planet.
Quick Start Guide
- Avalon Wars can be downloaded for free from the Apple app store by clicking the “Free – Play Now” link at the top of this page.
- When you first start you’ll be treated to a brief rundown of the story in the game, afterwords you’ll go through a lengthy tutorial that explains the basics and how to navigate the game screen. Once this is complete, you’ll be left to your own devices.
- Most of your time in the game will be spent in the city-building portion, which means that buildings are a very important part of the game. Some will already be placed when you begin, while others will appear as you complete specific quests. Here’s a list of some of the buildings and what they do:
- Command Center – upgrading your command center will unlock new buildings and expand the amount of space for your base. By selecting the “Tax” tab, you’ll be able to levy a tax on the center, which earns you a cash bonus. This can be done 12 times per day. As you gain levels you’ll also be able to access special features via the command center, such as the stargate or caravan.
- Barrack – this is where your military units are held and trained. Upgrading the barrack unlocks new units and increases the number you can have. The “Units” tab lets you train new units, which fall under three categories: biotic, synthetic, and airforce. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, which are listed on this screen. You can also adjust how your units are formed in battle under the “Regiment” tab.
- Point Academy – here you can recruit and train captains to lead your troops in battle. The “Recruit” section lets you find new captains, while the “Manage” and “Train” sections let you improve the abilities of captains you’ve already recruited.
- Refinery – produces the “Gas” resource.
- Alloyworks – produces the “Alloy” resource.
- Generator – produces the “Power” resource.
- Research Lab – lets you research new technologies to implement in battle. Upgrading the research lab increases the number of technologies you can research.
- Teleporter – this is used to send your units into battle. The more you upgrade it, the more often you can engage in combat.
- Residence – produces the “Credits” resource.
- All buildings can be upgraded by tapping the arrow in the right hand corner of the building menu. At the bottom of the building page you’ll see a list of the required resources needed to complete that particular upgrade. If you don’t have them, you can’t upgrade. You can also degrade a building, which will drop it down an experience level.
Playing the Game
- The best way to level up and expand your base is by completing quests, which can be found in the menu at the bottom of the screen. You can take on only one task at a time and once complete you’ll need to return to the menu to claim your reward.
- Legion – legions serve a similar function as guilds do in other MMOs. Joining or creating a legion allows you to combine your power with that of other players, increasing your strength.
- You can interact with your legion, and other players, via the “Chat” option on the bottom menu. This live chat room is divided into three rooms: a global one for all players, one specifically for you and your legion, and a private room for you and specific other players of your choosing.
- Map – here you’ll see a radar screen with numerous symbols, each of which gives you different options for how to proceed. Some you can attack, while others you can occupy. Tapping on the symbol will reveal your options.
- Currency – there are two types of currency in the game. Credits are earned from the residences and as tax, while domistal is the premium currency. You’ll start out with a handful of domistal, which can be used to speed up production and construction processes, but after that you’ll need to purchase it with real-world money. You also have the option of completing offers, such as installing various free iPhone apps, to earn free domistal.
- You’ve completed the Avalon Wars quick start guide for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Now you have all the skills you need to gather resources and take over the planet. Be sure to keep checking back with Gamezebo for our extensive coverage with reviews, previews, guides and more.