Tiny Zoo – Game Introduction
Tiny Zoo is developed by TinyCo for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch and allows you to build an adorable zoo that you can design and decorate any way you want. Add hundreds of different animals, unlocking more as you progress, and create unusual species by cross breeding in your laboratory. Gamezebo’s Tiny Zoo quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- Tiny Zoo is a free application and can be found by clicking on the “Play Now” button at the top of this page.
- You will be prompted to allow push notifications on your mobile device. It is recommended that you say “Yes” and you can always change these settings later if you choose to.
- You will also be prompted to join the “Tiny Social” network which connects you with other Tiny Zoo players. You are asked to give your email address which is kept private and you will have to verify the email account and come up with a unique user name known as your “TinyID”. You can also choose your profile image at this time by scrolling through a large list of images using the arrows on each side.
- Tap on “Your Zoo” in the upper left hand corner to name it. This must be ten characters or less.
- If you have a Facebook account you can log in and post any game progress and search for players from your Facebook friend list. If you do not have a Facebook account you can get one here for free – http://www.facebook.com
- The game has a tutorial which is goal based. If you follow all of the goals you will easily make it to level five in the game and will have a nice base zoo with one expansion. Once the goals disappear you are on your own until level ten and will see that it takes large amounts of cash to expand once you complete the first expansion.
- Zoom in or out – You can tap on the screen twice quickly to zoom in and out of the scene or you can use the pinch method using your fingers to shrink or expand the scene. If you wish to reset your game you can do so in the settings area but note you will lose all your progress.
- There are two types of currency used in Tiny Zoo. You start out with zero coins and five free Zoo bucks. As you follow the tutorial you are given a free animal which will begin to earn you currency and XP right away. Completing a goal rewards you with currency and XP one time only.
- Tip – If you are careful to spend your money only on goal requirements you will do very well. Do not purchase decorations or extra animals until you reach the point where the goals are gone.
- Zoo Coins – This is the basic game currency which you earn from each animal at different time intervals throughout the day. It could be as little as every 30 seconds to several days between collection times. Gold coins are the only currency collected from animals but animals purchased in the store could be purchased with zoo coins or zoo bucks.
- Zoo Bucks – This is the premium game currency and is used to buy animals that pay out a higher amount of money and XP. Zoo bucks are also used to speed up wait times, purchase extra breeding nests and speed up breed times so you can have an animal instantly. You are given five zoo bucks when you start the game and are awarded one or two each time you level up or complete a goal in the game.
- How to earn and collect currency – Be sure to open the game frequently and tap on the “Collect” button when it appears. If you just let it sit it will not earn for you so the more you tap on collect, the more you will earn in a 24 hour period.
- Purchase additional Currency – The currency indicators are located along the top left of the game screen. You will see an “Add” button to the right of each one. Tap on these to be taken to one of the two screens shown above.
- You can purchase coins or zoo bucks in bundles ranging from one dollar to one hundred dollars. These purchases are “in app” purchases and will be charged to your iTunes account
- As soon as you start the game you are introduced to the goal based tutorial.
- Follow the goals and you will earn quite a bit of currency to support your zoo and you will level up several times.
- Goal icons are located along the left side of the screen and you will need to tap on them to read them.
- Collect your Reward – Once completed you will earn a reward that is either zoo bucks, zoo coins, XP or all.
- You will most likely complete all of these goals before you reach level eight. At this point you should have a good understanding of how the game works. You will not see any more goals until you reach level ten in which you will have one goal to teach you how to use the laboratory feature and cross breed animals.
- It is possible more goals may be added in future game updates and around holidays. Following them is always a good idea as they earn you a lot of currency.
- Tip – Do not spend your currency on anything but what the goals ask of you. Once the goals are finished then use that currency to purchase and breed more animals, add food stands and purchase a few rare higher end animals for your zoo. Note that you will need a large amount of money when you reach level ten if you want to cross breed for unusual animals. Make sure you have funds and space available in anticipation of level ten.
Placing Animals in your Zoo/Adding Additional Animals
- The game’s goal oriented tutorial will show you how to add animals to your zoo so it will be briefly mentioned here.
- The game offers a free animal (Jack Rabbit) which earns you XP and coins every 30 seconds.
- Tap on the “Animals” button at the bottom left of the game screen when menu is expanded. (Tap on arrow to expand the menu)
- Note the menu shows various animals which you can purchase. They will cost you either coins or Zoo bucks and earn you XP for purchasing. These animals will earn you coins and XP at varying intervals. Note these intervals before you purchase and choose wisely. You can set push notifications to remind you when it is time to collect from your animals.
- Placing your Exhibit – Once you choose an animal tap on it and you will be taken back to the zoo. Use your finger to guide the exhibit to where you want it and wait until the base turns green. If it turns red you can not place it.
- Tap on “Accept” at the right of the screen to lock in the purchase. You will see the animal drop from above down into its exhibit home.Now the animal will begin to earn for you. Tap on the exhibit at any time to see how many animals the exhibit can hold, how much time is left until you can collect from it, and if you want to move or delete the exhibit.
- Adding Additional Animals – Once you have an animal in an exhibit you can add usually up to a maximum of four of each animal. Simply purchase another animal and it will add to the exhibit. This will increase the amount of money and XP you earn and the timing interval will be the same as the animal already in the exhibit. This way you don’t have a different collection time for each animal, just one time for each exhibit. Tap on the exhibit at any time for this information.
- Once you have two of a species in an exhibit you will be able to breed them. “See “Breeding your Animals” below for more information.)
Collecting From and Feeding your Animals
- When it is time to collect your coin and XP reward from an exhibit you will see a coin icon over it as shown in the image above.
- Tap on the icon to collect the rewards and to start the countdown over for the next collection.
- You can tap on an exhibit at any time to see how much time is left until you can collect again.
- Feeding your Animals – Immediately after collecting your funds and XP you will be asked to feed your animals as shown in image above. You must tap again to feed the animals which does not cost you any coins and actually earns you varying amounts of XP.
- If you fail to feed the animals you will not be able to collect any funds so be sure to tap twice until all icons disappear over the animals exhibits.
Breeding your Animals
- Once you have two animals in an exhibit you can breed them.
- How to Breed – Tap on the “Breed” button at the bottom of the screen.
- You will be taken to the breed screen where you initially have one breeding next open. You can purchase additional breeding nests for 30 zoo bucks.
- Tap on the nest and you will be taken to the animal menu. Only animals that can be bred will show up on this menu. Tap on them and you will be shown the cost to breed. If you agree tap on the breed button to purchase.
- Next you will be shown the “breed in progress” screen which has a countdown timer shown. You will have various wait times for the breeding process to complete.
- Jack rabbits breed for free and only take 30 seconds to complete the process.
- Place your Baby – Once your baby is ready you will see a red alert with an “!” placed on the breed button at the bottom of the screen. You MUST place your baby before the “spoil” countdown timer reaches zero. For example, if it took four hours to breed a baby then you are given four hours to place it once it is complete or you lose the baby and all of the money and time invested so be sure to set push notifications and to check in frequently so you don’t miss this time frame.
- Once the baby is added you will earn more coins and XP each time you collect from that exhibit.
- Once you reach the maximum number of animals in an exhibit they will be taken off the breed menu.
Cross breed unusual Species in your Lab
- You must reach level ten in the game before you can unlock and use your laboratory.
- This lab allows you to combine various species by cross breeding them to make new unusual breeds.
- For example you could combine a tiger and a lion to make a “Liger”
- Laboratory Goal – You will see a goal icon appear for the first time in several levels to bring you through a brief goal oriented tutorial. This will require you to;
- Purchase one Lion
- Purchase one Tiger
- Cross breed the lion and tiger in the lab.
- You will have to have enough cash on hand to expand your zoo if you have filled it up with animals. IF you have already filled your zoo and have no room nor funds to expand you can delete your jack rabbits and butterflies as they earn you the least amount of funds and XP. If you do not want to delete them you can either purchase more coins or wait until you have earned enough.
- Note – The Tiger alone is over 27,000 coins to purchase so be sure you have enough funds on hand for this task once it opens up.
- Purchase your lab nest – You must first purchase a “Lab Nest” the first of which will cost ten coins. NOTE – Every nest after will cost 60 Zoo Bucks each to purchase so unless you want to invest a lot of money you will only be able to cross breed one species at a time.
- Choose your two species of animal – Tap on the nest to open it and tap on the lion and then the tiger where you will see one on each side. Next a message will appear telling you how long until the new animal is ready. You will have to wait until the process completes or you can pay with Zoo Bucks to finish it instantly.
- Once you complete this process you will have a “Liger” which can be placed on exhibit in your zoo. Make sure you have room for this new exhibit.
- Any animal that can be cross bred will have a beaker icon next to them in the animal store menu area.
- The “Liger” is the first cross bred animal you will make. There are several different combinations of animals you can build for exhibit. Look for the beaker icon and note that animals only show up in the menu if they can be used in this capacity.
- Cross-bred animal exhibits will earn the highest amount of coins and XP at collection times. They also have the longest wait times between collection times.
Cleaning your Zoo/Cleaning Buildings, Zoo Grounds and Exhibits
- Keeping your Zoo clean is critical. It will earn you money, and it will increase your popularity bringing in more visitors.
- Clean Trash Piles – Look for tiny piles of trash and tap on them. It is not known how much you will earn but it appears they maximum you can earn by tapping on the pile of trash to clean it is 25 coins. The faster you tap on a pile of trash after it appears the more you earn. It lessens over time so if it sits a long time you may only earn five coins versus twenty five if you happen to see it appear and tap on it right away.
- Note that it can be very difficult to see the rubbish that appears in the zoo. It could be on an exhibit animal, on a building, or on a structure. You have to keep your eyes peeled to see them. They are only within the confines of the zoo. There is no trash on the outer borders or in the trees surrounding the zoo.
- Cleaning Buildings – Once you place buildings such as restaurants or food carts you will see a message that says “Clean” with a broom icon appear over the building. Tap on these right away and you will earn a coin and XP bonus for doing so. Your visitors will be unhappy until you clean these buildings.
- The overall rating of your zoo is shown in the upper right hand corner of the game screen where you can earn from one to five stars based on an average of scores from six categories.
- At any time you can tap on the upper right hand corner to see a breakdown of your zoo status and how many stars you have earned in each category.
- There are six categories that you are judged in an can earn up to five stars in each category.
- The six zoo categories include:
- Animals – Add as many animals as you can and be sure to fill up your exhibit with the maximum number of animals allowed either by purchase or by breeding them.
- Zoo Acreage – Be sure to expand your zoo so you have enough room to keep adding new exhibits. You will see animated visitors walking through the zoo and they are happy with lots of room to move and no messes.
- Cleanliness – Keep your zoo clean! Trash is constantly being thrown out all over the zoo and you need to keep an eye out for it. Tap on it to remove it and when an exhibit or food stand needs to be cleaned tap on it right away. You earn coins and XP each time you clean up.
- Shops – Be sure to add several different kinds of shops to your Zoo. This will attract even more visitors.
- Food – You will need to provide a lot of different food sources for your visitors. There is a special area in the store just for food stands and restaurants.
- Decorations – Be sure to place decorations around your zoo as they make it beautiful and attract more visitors.
- Overall Zoo Status – The scores for each of these categories are averaged to give you the overall zoo status which is what you see in the upper right hand corner. You may also see a tip appear such as “add more animals”, “Pick up trash” or “Expand your zoo”. The issue that needs the most attention by you is always listed here as a tip.
- Tap on the “Social’ button at the bottom of the screen to access menus to allow you to invite friends, edit your user profile, read your newsfeed, and visit community members or friends.
- Community Members – Tap on the “Community” tab at the top of the page and you will be taken to a list of people that are playing the game but not on your personal friend list. You can tap on “Visit” and you will be taken to their zoo where you can leave them a tip and clean up rubbish in their zoo to help them out.
- Inviting Friends – You can jot down the user name of people in your Community members list and invite them to become your friends. This community list can be refreshed and will keep the same list of people on it until you do so. Tap on the “Invite” tab and type in the user name and if successful you will be notified that this person is now a friend.
- Visiting Community members and/or Friends – Tap on “Visit” next to a friend or community member and you will be taken to their zoo. To the left you will see a “Leave a Tip” message along wtih a cup or can icon. Tap on this to leave money for your neighbor and hopefully they will return the favor. A message will be left for each person you visit so they know you did help them out. You can also tap on trash in their zoo to help them out.
- Profile – Tap on profile to change the picture, assign your “TinyID” or user name and register your email address. This address is kept private and they will send an email that you will need to respond to in order to verify your email. Once this is done you are totally registered.
- If you have a Facebook account you can log into it from this screen. Once logged in you can post messages on your profile when you level up, post a picture in your photo album, or look for friends that are also playing the game.
? Reputation Rating – As you visit each community member or friend you will earn a reputation point. These add up over time until you reach the next level. The higher your reputation level the more rewards you will earn over time. You will see reputation noted with a red heart next to it. The meter is shown in the upper right hand corner of each zoo you visit. The higher your reputation rating the higher the odds you will show up at the top of a community list to other non friend players.
Leaving and Collecting Tips
- When visiting a community member or a friend you have the option to leave them a tip once every 24 hours.
- Leave a Tip – When you visit a zoo you will see a “Leave a tip” jar and message to the middle left of the screen. It will begin to shake after a few moments to help you see it. Tap on the jar and it will disappear meaning you were successful.
- When the friend or community member logs into the game they will be sent a message where they can accept the tips you have sent to them. They will also see your TinyID and will hopefully send you a friend invitation if you haven’t sent them one already or they may be more inclined to accept yours once they see you have left them a gift.
- You can also pick up trash for your friends or community members but it appears to help only them as there is no cash or XP reward given to you for doing so.
- Collecting Tips left to you – When you log into the game you will be notified if any tips were left for you. Tap on the “Accept” button and you will be rewarded
- You have completed the basic game play guide for Tiny Zoo for iPhone, iPad and the iPod touch by TinyCo. Be sure to check back often for game updates, Staff and user reviews, user tips, forum comments and much more here at Gamezebo!