Bug Village – Game Introduction
It’s time to go buggy with Bug Village developed by Glu Games for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Start out building a home for a single ant, invite some bees and lady bugs and before you know it, you have a Bug Village! Gamezebo’s Bug Village quick start strategy guide will provide you with detailed images, tips, information, and hints on how to play your best game.
Quick Start Guide
- Bug Village is a free application and can be found by clicking on the “Play Now” button at the top of this page.
- Once you log in you will be asked if you would like to be sent push notifications on your mobile device.
- The main screen has an “options” button which allows you to turn off the game music or sounds.
- Bug Village is associated with Apple’s Game Center where you can see your accomplishments and the leader boards comparing your scores against others players.
- If you choose you can purchase in game content which will be charged to your iTunes account. If you want you can disable this feature in your device settings area.
- There is a gear button at the center left of the screen. Tap on it to cause it to expand and retract. Here a menu will appear allowing you to also toggle the game music and push notifications, get game help, access your accomplishments at Game Center, and return to the main menu.
- There is a brief tutorial at the beginning of the game that shows you how to build a house, build a work pile, assign a task, and feed your bugs.
- When the game loads you will always see a brief tip to help you in the game.
- There are two types of currency in Bug Village.
- Acorns – This is the main currency of the game allowing you to purchase homes, decor, and food for your bugs and what is earned when you complete tasks and win special rewards. You will start the game with 1,000 acorns.
- Gold Coins – This is the high end currency of the game which allows you to purchase special premium items for your village as well as special privileges such as speeding up construction times, and instantly finishing tasks. You will start the game with 10 gold coins.
- Purchase additional Coins and Acorns – You can purchase more gold coins or acorns by tapping on the add more button at the upper right corner of the game screen. You can complete special offers for free gold coins or acorns or you can purchase them from various bundles and will be charged on your iTunes bill connected to your mobile device.
Building houses for Ants and Bees
- Each time you build a house you will attract at least one bug to your village. As you reach higher levels and can build larger houses they will attract a larger number of bugs.
- Population Indicator- Tap on the red ant at the top left corner of the screen and a menu will extend showing you how many of each type of insect is in your village.
- To purchase a house tap on the house icon at the lower left corner of the game screen.
- A menu will appear that you can scroll through by pushing your fingertip to the left and right. The arrow at the right side of the screen will push the menu down and the “X” will close it out.
- Note that some of the buildings are purchased with acorns and others with gold coins. You should use your gold coins sparingly at first.
- Purchase the “Homy Hut” to get you started and this will attract one ant to your village. You will be able to place a few more and after you reach level five bees will move into your village. Building a “Humble Hive” will attract one bee to your village.
- If an item is locked it means you must wait until you have reached a particular level to access it.
- Note – Each level has a maximum number of houses you can build. If you have reached that level you will need to keep working until you level up and then you can add more.
- Placing Houses – Tap on the house you wish to build and it will appear on the ground. Use your fingertip to drag it to the correct location. If you can place it you will see a green grid under it. If it turns red you can not place it at that location. Once you have it placed tap on the green check mark to lock in the purchase. If you change your mind tap on the “X” You can also rotate the house by tapping on the purple rotate button that appears above the top center which rotates the house a tiny bit each time you tap on it. Rotate it the way you want it then lock in the purchase.
- Moving items in your village – To move an already placed item open up the build menu tap on the building and then use your fingertip to move it or the rotate button to change its position. Tap on the “X” to close the menu and lock in the new changes.
- Upgrading Houses – Tap on any house and the word “upgrade” will appear over it. You will have to purchase the upgrade and it will add one more bug to the house. You will also have to wait until the house is constructed or can pay gold coins to have it instantly built. The house will be bigger and look different from the previous house.
Feeding your Bugs
- You will need to keep your bugs fed or they will not work. Tap on the sugar cube icon at the bottom right of the game screen.
- This will open up the food menu where you can purchase several different sweet goodies for your bugs from sugar cubes to blocks of cheese.
- Each food item has a specific number of servings to it.
- Everything is paid for in acorns except cheese which is purchased with gold coins and this has a maximum amount of food to feed your village. All other items will have to be replenished as soon as they bugs eat all of it.
- Food Meter – Along the top left corner you will see a tiny sugar cube and a meter. Keep this meter filled up at all times for optimum profits and work from your bugs.
- You can only place one piece of food at a time.
- Tap on the food item you wish to purchase then place it on the right side of the bridge. (The game will not let you place food with the houses on the left side of the bridge) When you see green under it you can safely place it. Tap on the green arrow to lock in the purchase and immediately all the bugs will come and start eating it and when it is all gone it will disappear.
- Bugs will stop their work momentarily to come and eat.
Building work Piles
- Work piles are your main means of earning acorns and XP (experience points) in the game.
- Tap on the work pile icon which is in the lower right hand corner of the game screen.
- There are four piles to choose from starting with a small pile and ending with the most valuable pile which is the “Treasure Pile” which can be purchased for 10 coins.
- Once you purchase the pile place it somewhere along the right side of the bridge. You will need to tap on it to build the pile up.
- Assign a task to a work pile – Next tap on the pile and a menu will appear with three tasks that can be assigned each with a varying amount of time to complete it. With the small pile you have the options of assigning 15 minutes, two hours, or the maximum of six hours. Medium and Big piles have different times assigned to them but you will only be able to purchase them when you reach specific levels. Level five allows you to purchase medium piles, and level ten allows you to purchase big piles.
- Once you choose a task the bugs will begin to walk to them taking things away from them and bringing the items to their houses until they are all gone.You will see the piles become smaller as the bugs work.
- Collect reward from task piles – Once the pile task is finished the word “Collect” appears above it. Tap on it and you will collect acorns and experience points.
- Refill the empty pile – After the pile is empty you will have to pay a few acorns to refill it again. Tap on the pile to do this. Once you see the pile filled up again tap on it once more to bring up the task menu and assign another task to it.
- Hurry up – At any time during a pile task you can tap on a pile to see how much time is left and if you want you can pay with gold coins to instantly finish the task. Simply tap on the “hurry up” button that appears to do this.
- Throughout the game you will be asked to complete various quests.
- Quests can be accessed at any time by tapping on the quest button at the upper right side of the game screen.
- Once you complete a task such as build two houses, etc. you will be rewarded with acorns and experience points to help you level up in the game.
Ladybugs and Stinkbugs
- There are a couple of bugs that allow you to earn additional acorns for your village when they appear.
- Ladybug – The ladybug frequently falls on her back and needs your help to get back on her feet. Be sure to tap on the ladybug to help her and you will earn an acorn and XP bonus.
- Stinkbug – The stinkbug gives off a green vapor and fills up the air making it hard to see around your village. As soon as you spot the stink but you will need to tap on him three times to get rid of the stink. If you wait too long you won’t be able to see your village for awhile. If you are successful you will earn an acorn and XP bonus as well as a happy stink free village.
Planting Flowers in your Garden for profit
- Several quests will require you to put plants in your village. Some plants are decorative for the left side of the screen and some are functional flowers put on the right side of the screen which can have tasks associated with them just like the work piles.
- Decor Plants (Left side of bridge) – Tap on the house build menu and then on the tiny umbrella tab which is the decor tab. Tap on any decor item such as clover or branches and it will appear on the ground. Use your fingertip to move it or rotate it and tap on the green check mark to lock in the changes or the “X” if you change your mind about the purchase. You can build fences with sticks and to do so you will need to purchase the sticks one at at a time. These items are for decorative purposes only and earn you no income.
- Functional Flowers – (Right side of bridge) = On the left side of the bridge you can plant functional flowers which serve as decor but will also allow you to assign a task which earns you acorns and XP over time.
- Tap on the pile icon at the lower right corner of the game screen. A menu will appear and there are two tabs. Tap on the flower tab at the left. Now you will see the flowers of which there are currently five to choose from but you will have to wait until you reach specific levels to unlock them.
- The first flower available is the “Simple Camo” and you will have to wait until you reach level nine before you can purchase the next type of flower unless you would like to spend ten or twenty gold coins on flowers which will be available instantly to you.
- Planting flowers – Tap on the flower and it will appear on the ground. Use your fingertip to move it where you want it then tap on the green check mark to lock in the purchase.
- Watering/Refill Flowers – Flowers need to be refilled or watered between tasks and this will cost you a small amount of acorns each time. Tap on the green refill bar when it appears.
- Assigning Tasks to Flowers – Once revived tap on the flower again and a task menu will appear similar to the piles. Tap on the task you wish to purchase. Now you can tap on the flower to see how much time is left until it is complete. Bees will come to the flower and take nectar from it back to their home.
- Hurry Up – You can tap on the “Hurry Up” button at any time to pay gold coins to finish a task.
- Collecting rewards – Once completed you will see a green “Collect” button over the flower. Tap on this to collect the acorn and XP reward then revive the flower again to start the process over.
- Wilting Flowers – If you wait too long before you collect your reward you will lose it and you will have to pay to revive the flower again before you can assign a new task to it.
- You have completed Gamezebo’s quick start guide for Bug Village on the iPhone, iPad and the iPod touch by Glu Games. Be sure to check back often for game updates, Staff and user reviews, user tips, forum comments and much more here at Gamezebo!