Cause of Death: Can You Catch the Killer? Game Introduction
Cause of Death: Can You Catch the Killer? is an iPhone game developed by EA that tasks you with catching a serial killer responsible for a number of grisly murders. Gamezebo’s Cause of Death: Can You Catch the Killer? strategy guide and walkthrough will provide you with a quick start guide, tips and tricks, hints and cheats on how to catch the killer once and for all.
Quick Start Guide
- In order to get started you’ll first need to download the game from the App Store, which can be done by clicking the “Play Now” link at the top of this page. Cause of Death costs $0.99, and there are several in-app purchases you can buy as well.
- When you first start the game you’ll be asked whether or not you want to receive push notifications. Selecting “yes” means that the game will alert you when each new chapter is available. You can also toggle this option in the in-game menu.
- Cause of Death comes with one pre-loaded volume: The Maskmaker. To start playing you’ll need to tap the “play/resume” button.
Catching the Killer
- Each volume is divided into two chapters, which are themselves divided into a series of episodes, much like a television show. You’ll tackle these episodes in chronological order with the option of replaying them when you’re finished.
- The actual game consists mainly of reading dialogue and text descriptions of what’s happening on screen. To further the story along, you need to tap anywhere on the screen when you see the word “continue.”
- If you need to pause the game at any time you can do so by tapping on the tiny gear icon in the lower left hand corner.
- As you move through the story you’ll be prompted to make decisions at certain points. Sometimes it’s a choice of action, and other times it’s a dialog option where you choose what the character says.
- Normally you’ll have as much time as you want to make a decision, but during some of the more intense moments you’ll have to choose within a certain amount of time. In these sequences there will be a timer at the bottom of the option/dialog box that will quickly tick down. Often these several of these quick choices will appear in a row.
- Whether or not you’re timed, there’s always a right choice. Selecting the correct option will increase your “detective score.” The game will calculate this score after each episode, and at the end of the volume will give you a cumulative score. If the score is high enough, you’ll be treated to a bonus scene to play through.
- If you choose wrong, several things can happen. In the best case scenario, you simply won’t earn any points to increase your “detective score.” But sometimes choosing wrong will dramatically change how the story turns out. This can mean getting yourself or your partner killed, forcing you to restart the game from the most recent save point.
- Picking the right answer is sometimes a matter of common sense, sometimes the result of paying attention (remembering the suspect’s hair color, for instance), but sometimes it’s just trial-and-error, as you won’t really know which is the right answer until you select it. But as a detective, you should keep an eye out for even the smallest details to give yourself a better chance of making the right choice.
- Each episode has a total of 100 detective points. And depending on how many of these points you manage to collect, you’ll be assigned a rank, ranging from criminal to master detective. If you don’t get a good score the game gives you the option to re-play the chapter to increase your rank. But high scores aren’t necessary for completing the game and enjoying the story.
Crime Never Sleeps
- Even when you solve the case of The Maskmaker, Cause of Death still isn’t done. Much like a television show, new cases are made available on a weekly basis. And you can play these episodes in two different ways.
- To play for free, you’ll need to download the new chapter the week it comes out. If you want a reminder, it’s a good idea to choose “yes” for push notifications. To check whether or not new chapters are available, you’ll need to select the “Now Airing” button. Here you’ll be able to see the current available chapter.
- You’ll need to play the chapters on a weekly basis, however. This is because the game does not let you have more than one chapter “airing” at once. In order to start on a new chapter you’ll need to overwrite your previous save data.
- If you don’t play on a weekly basis, you can still access the new volumes, which consist of several of the weekly chapters, by paying money. Each volume will cost $0.99, and you can access them at any time with no time limit.
- You’ve completed the Cause of Death quick start guide for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Now you have all the skills necessary to help Detective Fallon and Special Agent Williams on their continuing quest to make the streets of San Francisco a safer place. Be sure to keep checking back with Gamezebo for our extensive coverage with reviews, previews, guides and more.