General Game Information
Welcome to the Little Noir Stories: The Case of the Missing Girl walkthrough on Gamezebo. Little Noir Stories: The Case of the Missing Girl is a Hidden Object game / Interactive Novel for the PC created by Sarbakan Game Studio and published by Big Fish Games. This walkthrough includes tips and tricks, helpful hints, and a strategy guide on how to complete Little Noir Stories: The Case of the Missing Girl.
How to Play
- The cursor changes when you move your mouse over an interactive area. A magnifying glass indicates you can take a closer look, whereas a sparkling area indicates there are hidden objects to find. If you linger in a scene where there’s nothing more to do, you’re prompted with a “You’re Done Here” sign, and an arrow that shows you the way out.
- Click on the flashlight to get a hint. Wait for the flashlight to fully recharge itself before using it again. If you click on random objects too quickly, the screen will turn blurry and unfocused for a while.
- At the bottom of the screen, you’ll be shown an objective to fulfill. If there are several objectives, you can use the up and down arrows to scroll through them.
- The Toolbox icon shows what’s in your inventory. Objects in your inventory may be combined so that they can be used in a scene.
- The Journal icon takes you to your main control panel. Here you can adjust Options or exit to the Main Menu.
- As you progress through the game, take the time to read through the pages as it contains additional insights and interesting details.
- The Map shows you the various rooms in the building. You may only visit rooms that are unlocked.
- The People tab shows character profiles of all suspects, and even of the detectives.
- The Case tab lists additional notes and observations about everything you encounter.
- The Checklist shows the chapter’s objectives, chapter progress and a list of secret tasks to complete.
- Secret Tasks: these mini-tasks are not necessary to the game, but in completing them you learn more about the story and the characters. Be aware that you can only finish a secret task within a specific chapter. When you move on to the next chapter, your task list is erased and replaced with a new one.
At the start of a new game, you are asked to choose a mode: Classic or Novel. If you change your mind, you will be able to switch to the other mode in between chapters.
- Classic Mode: Conversations are short and non-interactive. You are given only the basic objectives. Secret tasks are fewer and easier to achieve. Lists of hidden objects are provided, instead of having the player figure out what to find.
- Novel Mode: You can interact with the characters by choosing what response to give them. Depending on your response, you may discover the characters’ secrets. Choose this mode if you want a longer, more satisfying game with more tasks to complete and non-specific hidden object lists.
Tutorial: You can opt to turn the Tutorial on or off. Experienced players may want to turn off the Tutorial, as the objective checklist and sparkling highlights provide plenty guidance in the game.
Chapter 1: A Mysterious Lead
Gather Muller’s things from the car.
- Get Muller’s tools of the trade. Click on the sparkling areas on the car to zoom in on 2 hidden object scenes.
- Get Muller’s lock picks. These are around the front seat of the car.
- Find the mysterious picture. Open the compartment behind the seat to find the picture.
Find a way inside the building.
- Use the picks to unlock the door. Click on your toolbox to access your inventory. Take the lock picks from the inventory and click on the sparkling lock on the green doors.
- Starting with the outermost ring, click on each of the 5 rings to rotate it. You’ll need to align the gaps so that the 3 picks can slide into the center of the lock. Click on “Try” to see if your solution is correct.
- You’ll meet the janitor, Lucas Dunn. In Novel mode, it’s ok to be truthful with him and to tell him you’re a cop.
- Dunn will give you a map. You can only enter rooms or areas that unlocked.
Investigate the first apartment.
- Enter the Home Office.
- Talk to the plump little man. In Novel mode, your best approach with Paul Woodstein is to be intimidating.
- Find items related to accounting. Click on the sparkling areas to zoom in on 2 hitdden object scenes.
Investigate the second apartment.
- Enter the Mannequin Room.
- Here you’ll have two simultanous tasks: Find all luggage and suitcases, and Find items likely to be brought on a trip. Click on the up & down arrows to switch between objective descriptions.
- Click the sparkling areas to zoom in on 3 hidden object scenes.
- After a brief blackout, some items will be missing. Find the missing items. Compare the two frames and click on the differences.
Investigate the third apartment.
- Enter the Asian Room.
- Talk to the Asian lady. In Novel mode, your best approach with Shen is friendly and truthful.
- Find a dragon. Click on the dragon engraved on the stone monolith.
- Find a piece of paper. Go to Woodstein’s home office, click on the sparkling area, and take the paper from the floor.
- Find some coal. Enter the Mannequin room, click on the sparkling area, and take the coal beside the red stool.
- Combine the paper and the coal. Open your inventory, take the coal and put it on the paper. Go back to the Asian Room.
- Make a rubbing of the dragon. Take the rubbing kit (combined paper and coal) and use it on the dragon monolith.
Gain access to the second floor.
- Find all the footprints. Find 8 footprints on the floor, 1 on the chair, and 1 on the table.
- Check the door. Click on the locked door.
- Pry the door open. Pick up the crowbar resting on the right wall and use it to open the door.
Chapter 2: Pursuing Muller
Inspect Muller’s car.
- Look for traces of violence. Zoom in on the sparkling areas of the car to find 3 lacerations and traces of violence.
Find a way into the building.
- Look around for an entrance. Check the door on top of the stairs and click on the strange statue.
- Move the statue. Take the mop beside the sparkling green doors. Use the mop as a lever to move the statue away from the upper door.
- Try both locks on the door. The bottom lock is easily removed. The upper lock is rusty and needs lubrication.
- Find something to lube the rusted lock with. Click on the sparkling green door. Select the red oil can on the far left.
- Pick up the oil can with a rag. Take the rag on the trash can and use it to pick up the oil can.
- Use the oil can on the lock. Go back to the upper door and place the oil can on the rusty lock. Click on the door to open it.
Investigate the westernmost room.
- Enter the Big Man’s Loft.
- Talk to the very large man. Art Montgomery is a musician.
- Find items a musician needs. Click on the sparkling areas to zoom in on 2 hidden object scenes.
Investigate the middle room.
- Enter the Darkroom. This room belongs to Mary Mumler, photographer.
- Find items used to take photographs. Click on the sparkling area to zoom in on a hidden object scene.
- Reveal the message on the blackboard. Take the red lightbulb. Exit the close-up view and use the lightbulb on the hanging lamp. Read the message: The key is in the serpent box.
Investigate the northernmost room.
- Enter the Lady’s Kitchen.
- Talk to the classy lady. In Novel mode, it’s best to press the issue with Diane Lindberg.
- Find signs of wealth. Click on the sparkling areas to zoom in on 3 hidden object scenes.
Inspect the storage room.
- Find signs that Muller was here.
- Try to open the door.
Find the key, get to Muller.
- Find the key to the warehouse. The key is in the serpent box on Art Montgomery’s bed.
- Go to the Big Man’s Loft and talk to Art. In Novel mode, a charming response is best.
- Examine the traces on the wall. Click on the shapes on the wall where the awards used to hang.
- Find Art’s awards. Go to the Darkroom and click on the 2 sparkling area to find the awards.
- Put the awards back in place. Go back to Art’s Loft and open your inventory. Put the awards on the wall according to their proper shapes.
- Open the serpent box. To solve the puzzle, complete the picture of a serpent. Start with the outermost ring and work your way inwards, ending with the smallest discs. Concentrate on the gold serpent and don’t bother connecting the grey areas.
- Go to the Kitchen. Talk to Mrs. Lindberg.
- Find the missing gears. The 10 gears can be found in sparkling close-up scenes in the Kitchen and the Darkroom.
- Repair the clock. Click on the clock. To solve the puzzle, place the gears on the clock so that the 3 existing gears on the corners are all connected to each other.
- Unlock the storage room door. Take the key from your inventory and use it on the locked door.
Chapter 3: The Quest for a Culprit
Find an alibi for Art.
- Check out the note on the pin board. Click on the note.
- Find proof that Art’s gone. Click on the sparkling areas to zoom in on 2 hidden object scenes.
Find an alibi for Mr. Flemming.
- Find something full of chalk powder. Pick up a chalk eraser. Find a second eraser.
- Combine the erasers. In your inventory, put one eraser on the other. Place the pair of erasers on the chalkboard.
- Use the erasers on the chalkboard. Click to clap them together and scatter chalk dust. Do this all around the chalkboard until the words appear: Stakeout. Paris. Back Monday.”
Find an alibi for Mrs. Lindberg.
- Check as many notes and files as you can. Find 8 documents before the timer on the bar above runs out.
- Talk to Mrs. Lindberg. In Novel mode, the friendly response is best.
Find an alibi for Shen.
- Talk to Shen. In Novel mode, a charming response is best.
- Play I spy. Find hidden objects in 3 sparkling areas around the room.
Find an alibi for Miss Mumler.
- Check the sink. Click on the dirty water.
- Find all borrowed items. Click on the sparkling areas in the Darkroom to find all the objects, except the spoon.
- Find the pipes. 5 pipes are in the Darkroom. 2 are in the Kitchen, and 2 are in Art’s Loft.
- Find a wrench. The wrench is in Art’s Loft.
- Fix the sink. In the Darkroom, zoom in on the sink. Click on the cupboard below to solve a puzzle. Connect the pipes from one end to the other. Not all pipes will be used. When the sink is drained, take the spoon.
- Back to Mrs. Lindberg. Open your inventory and give the loaned items back to Mrs. Lindberg.
Find an alibi for Mr. Woodstein.
- Examine the note on Woodstein’s floor.
- Find the grocery items. Click on the sparkling areas to find the objects.
- Meet with Anton. Go to the Storage Room to meet Muller.
Find an alibi for the Janitor.
- Examine the chess board. Click on the board.
- Find the missing chess piece. Play chess. Click on the sparkling area to find the white rook (on the bottom right). Place it on the chess board.
- Talk to Mr Dunn. In Novel mode, any response will do.
- Talk to Mrs. Lindberg. Confirm the janitor’s cookie story.
- Talk to Shen. Confirm what Mr. Dunn said. In Novel mode, press the issue.
- Find Asian-flavored items. Go to the Janitor’s room and click on sparkling areas to find the objects.
- Return to Mr. Dunn. Talk to the janitor again. This is the last objective for this chapter, so you may want to complete all the secret tasks first before doing this step.
- Examine the program on Art’s wall. Click on the paper below the corkboard with a picture of a sax.
- Sift through Mrs. Lindberg’s papers. Finding any of her personal papers completes this task.
- Retrieve Muller’s wallet. It’s on the chair in the Janitor’s room.
- Solve Shen’s yin yang puzzle. Swap the pieces to reveal a painting of a spider. Focus on the spider and don’t worry about the yin-yang symbol not being aligned.
- Picture hunt in the darkroom. Find 13 marked photographs around the Darkroom.
Additional Secret Tasks in Novel Mode:
- Talk to Shen about Woodstein. This task has to be done by Chandler, before meeting Anton in the Storage Room. After that, Anton takes over and Shen will have nothing to say to him.
- Examine the cookie Mr. Dunn set aside. On the plate of square-shaped cookies above the chessboard, click on the single cookie beside the fly.
- Trade secrets with the Janitor. To discover Dunn’s shocking past, friendly and truthful does the trick.
Chapter 4: Entering the Garden
Play Lucas’s game of fetch.
- Find leaves. 15 leaves are scattered around Muller’s car, Back Entrance, and both Storage Rooms.
- Talk to Mr. Dunn. Once you have all the leaves, go to the Janitor’s Room and click on Mr. Dunn.
- Find flowers. 14 flowers are in the same locations as the leaves. The last flower is not yet available. Pick up a plastic bag containing a film roll (labeled Lilies), on the ground outside the car.
Put the picture back together.
- Gather all the picture fragments. Pick up the 8 pieces from around the Storage Room.
- Find some adhesive tape. You’ll find it in Muller’s car, in the compartment behind the car seat.
- Piece the picture back together. In your inventory, place the tape on the picture fragments.
Prepare the development material.
- Gather the chemicals. Find these in Muller’s car and in the Darkroom.
- From your inventory, place the chemicals on the appropriate trays. Fill tray A with developer. Fill tray B with vinegar. Fill tray C with fixer.
- Zoom out and click on the sink. Take the glass beside the sink and fill it with sink water. Add water to rinse tray B..
- Find the remaining items. The clothespins, tongs, and photo paper are in the Car, Back Entrance, and Storage Rooms (see above screenshots).
Develop the picture of a flower.
- Add the focus lens. Take the focus lens from beside the sink. Place it on the egg-shaped enlarger / projector.
- Turn the red light ON. Click on the lamp.
- Use the projector to get a picture. Click on the enlarger.
- Take a sheet of photo paper. Using the tongs in your inventory, take the sheet from under the enlarger.
- Develop the picture. Place the sheet in Tray A.
- Fix the picture to the sheet. Move it to Tray B.
- Rinse the picture. Move it to Tray C.
- Let the picture dry. Put it on the drying line.
- Take the picture from the line.
Play Lucas’s game of fetch (continued)
- Return to Mr. Dunn. Once you have all 15 flowers, go to the Janitor’s Room and click on Mr. Dunn.
- Find the insects. Click on the sparking areas in the Janitor’s Room to collect the insects.
- Sort the insects. Click on the table behind Mr. Dunn to solve a puzzle. Arrange the insects by their characteristics, following those already in the box e.g. insects in middle row are all spotted, insect in first column all have wings.
- Talk to Mr. Dunn.
Meet Muller’s agressor in the garden.
- Explore the garden. Click on the well.
- Find all the engine parts. Click on the sparkling areas around the garden to find the parts.
- Talk to Mr. Dunn. Go back to the Janitor’s Room to ask him about additional parts.
- Find the missing elements. (these disappear when clicked) These are in the Janitor’s Room, 2/F Storage Room, Muller’s Car, and Back Entrance.
- Repair the winch engine. Click on the engine to solve the puzzle, and follow the instructions on the diagrams. When placing a part, watch your cursor closely. Release the part when the cursor arrow turns orange.
- Muller’s agressor is revealed. In Novel mode, it’s best to be intimidating. Then after that, press the issue in order to get answers.
- Investigate the plumbing and the strange sounds. Click on the pipes on the 1/F Storage Room. Pick up the wooden hammer in the Janitor’s Room, on the floor beside the mop. Use the hammer to knock on the pipes.
- There’s a file on Chandler somewhere. At the Back Entrance, pick up the folder on the ground, bottom right.
- Develop the second picture. Repeat the same procedure shown above. With the red light on, click on the enlarger. Then develop, fix, rinse, and dry, using the tongs. Next, turn off the red light and find an identical picture that matches the second developed picture. It’s on the wall directly above Tray C.
- Bring seeds to Mr. Dunn. Find 15 seeds in the same locations as the leaves and flowers. When you have them, go to Lucas Dunn for another chat.
Additional Secret Tasks in Novel Mode:
- Learn more about Muller’s troubled past. When you find the child’s drawing inside the book, you’ll get a chance to ask Muller what’s wrong. Preachy is the only way you’ll get him to open up. Once you get the secret, read Muller’s profile in the journal – it’s quite sad.
- Bring seeds to Mr. Dunn; think hard. In Novel mode, you’ll be asked about the significance of the seeds. Dunn asks you to take a minute. The best response is to say nothing or to let the timer lapse without clicking.
Chapter 5: Definitive Proof
Convince Lucas there’s a child to save.
- Show an image. Click on Mr Dunn and show him the photograph.
- Show some art. After the photo, show him the child’s drawing.
- Find and show a toy. Take the doll from the red armchair in the Mannequin Room and show it to Dunn.
- Find all the missing stone tablets. Go to the Back Entrance and examine the fallen statue. Find 7 missing stone tablets around the Back Entrance and Garden.
- Place the tablets on the statue. Arrange the tablets to tell this story: A woman is single, meets a devil, becomes pregnant and has a baby. They fall on hard times, are welcomed into heaven, and become saints.
- Find and show a hidden missive. Talk to Mr. Dunn about the secret message, and that’s the last piece of proof he needs.
Find and enter the secret passage.
- Find the items on the drawing. There are 9 key elements:
- metronome & microphone – Art’s Loft
- rabbit’s foot – Shen’s room
- skull keychain – Mannequin room
- clock, pearls, refrigerator, dragon, silverware – Kitchen
- Gather the ingredients for a draft detector. Take the lighter from Art’s Loft, and the candle from the Janitor’s Room. Take the cookie plate too, but eat the rest of the cookies first.
- Make Mrs. Lindberg leave. This is almost the final step, so you may want to complete all the secret tasks before proceeding to the Kitchen. Talk to her. Any of the responses will work.
- Open the passage. In your inventory, combine the lighter and the candle. Move the lit candle around the room. Click on the spot where it flickers (on the left curtain).
Pursue the culprit.
- Find the first clue. A footprint on the kitchen floor.
- Find the second clue. A table and vase knocked over.
- Find the third clue. A pair of stiletto-heeled shoes.
- Find the fourth clue. The Garden is a dead end, so go to the Storage Room to find a torn piece of clothing.
- Find the last clue. Muller’s gun on the ground.
Convince Lilly to leave the building.
- Complete the puzzle. Click on the colored shapes on the floor to solve a set of 3 Tangram puzzles. To move a piece, click on it to pick it up, then click again to drop it. To rotate a piece, hover your cursor around its edges until the Rotate icon pops up, then click until you have the desired angle.
(Tangram puzzle 1)
(Tangram puzzle 2)
(Tangram puzzle 3)
- Gather the dolls. Find 10 dolls around the room.
- Clean it, read it. Take the vinegar from the Kitchen (beside the sink), and the rag from the Garden. Go back to the fallen statue, combine the rag with vinegar, and clean the plaque.
- Talk about machinery. In the 2/F Storage Room, remove the tarp covering. Go to the Kitchen and click on Mrs. Lindberg’s printing press miniature model. In Novel mode, lie to her, saying you don’t know what it is, and she’ll tell you more about it.
- Ask about a hat. Find 4 hats in the Mannequin Room. Go to the Janitor’s Room and click on the missing Colonel hat on the armchair.
- Read a message from the dead. Go to the Garden and click on the tombstone.
- Talk about a painful past. In the Home office, click on the figurines right behind Woodstein’s head. Arrange the figures to spell “VICKY”. In Novel mode, only a friendly response will get Woodstein to discuss his past.
- Who’s calling? When you enter the Mannequin Room, the phone will ring (if your computer audio is turned off, you’ll miss it). Zoom in on the red armchair to answer the call.
Additional Secret Tasks in Novel Mode:
- Complete all ‘fetch’ quests. Take the sax from the Garden shed’s roof and give it to Art. He’ll mention Woodstein doing his taxes. Get the ledger from Muller’s car and give it to Woodstein. He’ll ask you to find empty bottles (Woodstein’s office, 2/F Storage Room, Back Entrance, and Muller’s car window) and give them to Mrs. Lindberg. She’ll ask you to retrieve Mr. Dunn’s trowel & spade from the Mannequin Room. Give Dunn his tools and he’ll give you an amulet and angel pendant. Go to Shen, press the issue and solve her riddle. The strange amulet is the answer.
- Reveal a secret message. Talk to Shen twice. She mentions the sheet of paper on the table. Click on it. Zoom in on the lighted candle and place the paper on it. Talk to Shen and ask about the revealed message.
- Take a moment to mend things. Talk to Art again. Press the issue and and he’ll ask you to help him pack. Be preachy to him about his pants. He’ll ask you to bring his pants to Mrs. Lindberg to mend. While she’s mending, say nothing and she’ll talk about Art’s secret.
- Mr. Dunn should stop using the well. Go to the Garden and click on the well. Then go and talk to Mr. Dunn in a preachy manner.
- Why did Mr. Dunn just let Muller in? Talk to Mr. Dunn again and press the issue. He’ll explain his actions.
- Who covered Muller with a blanket? Again, chat up Mr. Dunn and press the issue. He’ll gladly answer.
More Secret Tasks:
- A note in a very odd place. When the secret passage opens up, don’t enter yet. First, click on the note on the side of the wall.
- Make the culprit confess past crimes. When confronting the culprit, be intimidating, preachy, then intimidating again.